Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 5, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #31,546 of 62,449
I only have MMCX IEM/Buds currently so 2-pin isn't a worry for me.

Also a non-issue. I have an Android phone.
I haven't had a chance to test much on Android. I bought a Blu phone to update the firmware on the UTWS3 which wasn't so fruitful... While the phone recognizes the headphones and will play music and audio through them, the Fiio app won't recognize them at all 😢 iOS app recognizes them fine though.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #31,547 of 62,449
Thanks. I've been interested in these, but a little worried about the volume as you mentioned.
I mostly use my Senn' MTW2, and I feel the volume is low on those as well. (noticable lower than both Lypertek Tevi and Airpods Pro..)
Do you/anyone else have the possibility to compare volume between MTW2 and MW08? Would the MW08 be a huge upgrade to the MTW2? Worth the $300 price tag?
My MW08s came this morning and I've had a couple of hours with them at this point. The first hour was spent, as usual, tip rolling until I found what works best for me, which in this case are the XL Spinfit CP360s. The L included tips fit my left ear perfectly, but were too small for my right ear. The XL included tips were too tight on both ears and really stuffed up the sound. I also tried about five other likely tip candidates before settling on the CP360s. The fit is relatively shallow, but that gives the sound some room to breath and keeps the earphones comfortable. I'm definitely getting a good seal.

Sound-wise, these are like a warm hug. The sound is incredibly rich (without any bass-bleed), yet still nicely detailed (without any harshness). They're just right. I'm fine not having an equalizer included in the app, because I can't imagine I'd want to adjust the sound signature at all. My favorite TWS, sound-wise, has been the Jabra 85t, which I find a smidge better than the Sennheiser MTW (1st Gen). These MW08s are better. There's no issue with volume from my perspective. I'm listening now at about 45% on my iPhone, and it's louder than I need. One of my go-to songs to test new earphones is Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie." To be honest, I don't even like that song -- but it's got a couple areas (in both Eminem's and Rihanna's sections of the song) that are incredibly dense and complex "walls-of-sound" that all but the very best earphones completely fall down on. These earphones nail it. You can imagine how much I'm enjoying songs I actually like.

I haven't had an opportunity to test the ANC in real life. The NYC subway system is my go-to test bed, and I won't be on the subway until next week. Since they're a relatively shallow fit, my expectation is that they'll diminish the rumble of the subway (and even city traffic) -- hopefully sufficiently enough to allow me to enjoy some music on my way around town -- but I'm not expecting complete isolation. I can live with that. I DID test the ANC while sitting in front of my computer listening to YouTube videos of plane and subway noise. My preliminary reaction is that the ANC is -- about what I'd expect. It's not as strong as the Sony's or the APPs, but it makes a difference.

As reported elsewhere, the earphones are smaller than expected, and look terrific. There's no multipoint, or fast device switching, but you can hold the multi-touch button to switch devices. I read elsewhere some speculation that there was no Siri -- but there is. (Just hold the multi-touch button for three seconds.). And, by the way -- having physical buttons is fantastic.

A few odds and ends: I can confirm both AAC and aptX. (I returned the MW07+ because there was no AAC, and I'm glad M&W included it now.) I obviously haven't had a chance to test the battery yet, but if it's as advertised I'll be very happy. Finally, I updated the firmware upon opening. It took two tries on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but eventually worked fine.

Bottom line: These are all about the sound, the battery life, and the design. If the intersection of those three things are what's important to you, these are as good as any earphones you'll find (at the moment). The ANC is an added bonus, but (as with most TWS), if you're looking for relative silence, you should probably look elsewhere.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #31,548 of 62,449
I sadly returned my Melomania Touch. The sound is truly phenomenal but a couple times one bud didn't charge as it didn't seat perfectly, and then lately having connection issues when taking them out of the case, and least of all but still a little issue, the volume drop to 50% when playing music when they first connect. Will keep an eye on if future firmware fixes these things.

excited to read on walkmanblog that the wf-1000xm4 has passed fcc certification. Hoping the shape is what we've seen in leaks, would probably solve most fit issues

excited as well. Looking forward to the specs.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #31,549 of 62,449
My MW08s came this morning and I've had a couple of hours with them at this point. The first hour was spent, as usual, tip rolling until I found what works best for me, which in this case are the XL Spinfit CP360s. The L included tips fit my left ear perfectly, but were too small for my right ear. The XL included tips were too tight on both ears and really stuffed up the sound. I also tried about five other likely tip candidates before settling on the CP360s. The fit is relatively shallow, but that gives the sound some room to breath and keeps the earphones comfortable. I'm definitely getting a good seal.

Sound-wise, these are like a warm hug. The sound is incredibly rich (without any bass-bleed), yet still nicely detailed (without any harshness). They're just right. I'm fine not having an equalizer included in the app, because I can't imagine I'd want to adjust the sound signature at all. My favorite TWS, sound-wise, has been the Jabra 85t, which I find a smidge better than the Sennheiser MTW (1st Gen). These MW08s are better. There's no issue with volume from my perspective. I'm listening now at about 45% on my iPhone, and it's louder than I need. One of my go-to songs to test new earphones is Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie." To be honest, I don't even like that song -- but it's got a couple areas (in both Eminem's and Rihanna's sections of the song) that are incredibly dense and complex "walls-of-sound" that all but the very best earphones completely fall down on. These earphones nail it. You can imagine how much I'm enjoying songs I actually like.

I haven't had an opportunity to test the ANC in real life. The NYC subway system is my go-to test bed, and I won't be on the subway until next week. Since they're a relatively shallow fit, my expectation is that they'll diminish the rumble of the subway (and even city traffic) -- hopefully sufficiently enough to allow me to enjoy some music on my way around town -- but I'm not expecting complete isolation. I can live with that. I DID test the ANC while sitting in front of my computer listening to YouTube videos of plane and subway noise. My preliminary reaction is that the ANC is -- about what I'd expect. It's not as strong as the Sony's or the APPs, but it makes a difference.

As reported elsewhere, the earphones are smaller than expected, and look terrific. There's no multipoint, or fast device switching, but you can hold the multi-touch button to switch devices. I read elsewhere some speculation that there was no Siri -- but there is. (Just hold the multi-touch button for three seconds.). And, by the way -- having physical buttons is fantastic.

A few odds and ends: I can confirm both AAC and aptX. (I returned the MW07+ because there was no AAC, and I'm glad M&W included it now.) I obviously haven't had a chance to test the battery yet, but if it's as advertised I'll be very happy. Finally, I updated the firmware upon opening. It took two tries on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but eventually worked fine.

Bottom line: These are all about the sound, the battery life, and the design. If the intersection of those three things are what's important to you, these are as good as any earphones you'll find (at the moment). The ANC is an added bonus, but (as with most TWS), if you're looking for relative silence, you should probably look elsewhere.
Good to know the MW07's character managed to carry over to the 08 as that was probably its most admirable quality.

Warm hug is a really good way to describe it, which is surprising given that it's similar to the 99 Classics in overall sound signature, but I find the M&Ds to have the upper hand in midrange resolution. The Meze are guilty of getting too warm in the mids sometimes, which leads to an almost syrupy sound. Probably works really well on some of the genres you demoed, but the bass wasn't fast enough to keep up with the kicks on Devin Townsend's Empath. To be fair, 64-count doubles are hard for a lot of equipment to resolve without falling massively behind, so that's a hard ask.

If you'd like to somewhat stress-test the ANC, you could just use your HT to approximate the environment. Amplitude will be wildly different, but you should at least be able to figure out if the ANC algo can treat simulated subway sounds before you're SOL on the 6.

Glad you enjoy them! They weren't my preference, but that didn't mean I couldn't see massive potential in them for the right kind of listener.

And MusicTeck has shipped out the R5 and WH3. Really excited to have a dedicated demo rig for some of this stuff to isolate phone-specific issues I encounter during testing. Getting potentially a full watt out of the 4.4mm connection is just icing on the cake.
I sadly returned my Melomania Touch. The sound is truly phenomenal but a couple times one bud didn't charge as it didn't seat perfectly, and then lately having connection issues when taking them out of the case, and least of all but still a little issue, the volume drop to 50% when playing music when they first connect. Will keep an eye on if future firmware fixes these things.
Sorry to hear they're still giving you grief. There are moments where troubleshooting is required, for any set, and produces nothing but cortisol and frustration and the MTs can have their fair share of them. I'm pretty confident that the Cambridge crew will figure it out. Going through the HiBy R5 thread helped put the amount of field issues in perspective.

Just with TWS, I think I've had about a 67% success rate out of what's shown up to the house at this point, which is right about what I was expecting going in. Unfortunate nature of the beast, but that isn't a horrible statistic).

What's taking over in the meantime?

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #31,550 of 62,449
If you'd like to somewhat stress-test the ANC, you could just use your HT to approximate the environment. Amplitude will be wildly different, but you should at least be able to figure out if the ANC algo can treat simulated subway sounds before you're SOL on the 6.
Thanks for your thoughts! Can you please expand on this. What’s an HT?

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #31,551 of 62,449
Thanks for your thoughts! Can you please expand on this. What’s an HT?
Home Theater (sorry). One of the YT reviewers will blast crowd noise through his computer speakers to test ANC. Got the idea from them. If we can't go to the noises themselves, might as well bring them to us, right?

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #31,552 of 62,449
Good to know the MW07's character managed to carry over to the 08 as that was probably its most admirable quality.

Warm hug is a really good way to describe it, which is surprising given that it's similar to the 99 Classics in overall sound signature, but I find the M&Ds to have the upper hand in midrange resolution. The Meze are guilty of getting too warm in the mids sometimes, which leads to an almost syrupy sound. Probably works really well on some of the genres you demoed, but the bass wasn't fast enough to keep up with the kicks on Devin Townsend's Empath. To be fair, 64-count doubles are hard for a lot of equipment to resolve without falling massively behind, so that's a hard ask.

Glad you enjoy them! They weren't my preference, but that didn't mean I couldn't see massive potential in them for the right kind of listener.

And MusicTeck has shipped out the R5 and WH3. Really excited to have a dedicated demo rig for some of this stuff to isolate phone-specific issues I encounter during testing. Getting potentially a full watt out of the 4.4mm connection is just icing on the cake.

Sorry to hear they're still giving you grief. There are moments where troubleshooting is required, for any set, and produces nothing but cortisol and frustration and the MTs can have their fair share of them. I'm pretty confident that the Cambridge crew will figure it out. Going through the HiBy R5 thread helped put the amount of field issues in perspective.

Just with TWS, I think I've had about a 67% success rate out of what's shown up to the house at this point, which is right about what I was expecting going in. Unfortunate nature of the beast, but that isn't a horrible statistic).

What's taking over in the meantime?

Just going to stick with my MTW2. Really looking forward to the XM4 if Sony adapts the form factor seen on the leaks. I decided to upgrade the drivetrain of my city bike with the MT money instead. I think Sony with all their history and engineering has the best chance of coming out with something I want next.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #31,553 of 62,449
Just going to stick with my MTW2. Really looking forward to the XM4 if Sony adapts the form factor seen on the leaks. I decided to upgrade the drivetrain of my city bike with the MT money instead. I think Sony with all their history and engineering has the best chance of coming out with something I want next.
Sounds like a good compromise. Can't listen on a bike if it's stuck in the garage.

Keep wanting to like these 400BT, but I think the form factor just doesn't work that well for my ears to wear as comfortably as the Noble or UEs can. I either get hot spots on my concha or antihelix (depending on whether they're rotated front or rear) after about 45 minutes. I assume the MTW2 sit pretty well in your ears?

They are stellar for vocals and I think I'm getting more used to the timbre, but wired pairs like the Kanas Pro can still spank these things in terms of timbre, resolution, and extension. Easily worth $100 on sound alone, but it wouldn't take much extra to get the sound and ANC/HearThrough (a la Technics).

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #31,554 of 62,449

excited as well. Looking forward to the specs.
Sorry to hear. I returned my first pair but no issues yet with the replacements, this time in white. Hope they continue to work because like you I am into the sound signature.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #31,555 of 62,449
Sounds like a good compromise. Can't listen on a bike if it's stuck in the garage.

Keep wanting to like these 400BT, but I think the form factor just doesn't work that well for my ears to wear as comfortably as the Noble or UEs can. I either get hot spots on my concha or antihelix (depending on whether they're rotated front or rear) after about 45 minutes. I assume the MTW2 sit pretty well in your ears?

They are stellar for vocals and I think I'm getting more used to the timbre, but wired pairs like the Kanas Pro can still spank these things in terms of timbre, resolution, and extension. Easily worth $100 on sound alone, but it wouldn't take much extra to get the sound and ANC/HearThrough (a la Technics).

I like a slightly warmer fun sound with good bass impact whilst still having nice details, like the MT and MTW2, so I think the Sony's can match that from what I've read. The MTW2 fit great. I've had them for a year now and never had an issue. Occasionally I'll do a light sprint down a block or two with the dog and they don't budge. The bike worked fine, I just wanted 9 speeds vs 7 :)

The MT checked the SQ box really well. I think maybe even slightly better than the MTW2. But I just want to know that I can pull them out of the case and they will be connected and fully charged by the time I get down the stairs to leave, with the MT did not do always. Oh well. First world problems, live with the MTW2 for a few months until something else pops up that feels worth it.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #31,556 of 62,449
I like a slightly warmer fun sound with good bass impact whilst still having nice details, like the MT and MTW2, so I think the Sony's can match that from what I've read. The MTW2 fit great. I've had them for a year now and never had an issue. Occasionally I'll do a light sprint down a block or two with the dog and they don't budge. The bike worked fine, I just wanted 9 speeds vs 7 :)

The MT checked the SQ box really well. I think maybe even slightly better than the MTW2. But I just want to know that I can pull them out of the case and they will be connected and fully charged by the time I get down the stairs to leave, with the MT did not do always. Oh well. First world problems, live with the MTW2 for a few months until something else pops up that feels worth it.
I admire your patience and understand what you mean in terms of your preferred sound signature. Mine tends to be a very PA/live-focused sound that has lots of energy and impact. Like to close my eyes and think I'm right where the FOH engineer set up the arena. Secondary to that is realistic timbre. Used to think this was a pretty JBL-esque sound, but the waters are so murky now that they're under the Harman umbrella.

How warm can you get before it's considered dark, by the way? You might be a good M&D candidate, save for the form factor potentially picking up some more wind in comparison.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #31,557 of 62,449

Thanks for you words! Did you test the mics performances for calls or videoconferences?

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #31,559 of 62,449
Finally, I updated the firmware upon opening. It took two tries on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but eventually worked fine.
For those here like myself that have had no joy at all installing the M&D MW08 firmware update (iPhone 12 Pro Max on 14.4.2, with the M&D Connect app v 1.0.4) the lovely M&D support people tell me that there is a 1.05 version of the app being released later this week with a new firmware version for all, as well as resolving the updating issue that I, and obviously others, have reported. Good times!

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #31,560 of 62,449
Yeah unfortunately, the MT are all about placement in case. When you are putting them away, you have to worry about the next time you will be removing them from the case. When you are removing them, you have to worry whether you put them in perfectly the day before. You can't just enjoy them for the present moment, but you have to worry about the day before or day after lol.

I have the same thought running in my mind daily when I'm either pulling them out of the case or putting them away. If they were placed properly then I just relax and it's all great. If they were not placed properly and if they don't connect within seconds, I know right away it didn't charge. And I groan.

My fallback strategy for worst-case scenario is that I always connect the left side bud because issue only happens with the right bud. It never happens with the left bud. My phone also doesn't have TWS+ mode so I leave right bud in slave mode. That means I will always have sound in the left bud no matter what and those days, I only use left bud. It's not optimal solution, but it's worst case scenario for me. I'm hoping to wait couple more months to RMA and maybe they fix that case issue in a future batch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back