Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #30,646 of 62,636
Update went smoothly for me. I just hope MT's new firmware address some of the battery issues I've been having. If they improve connectivity issues, that would also be great. I hope they put out the release notes soon. Other then that, I'm still addicted to the tuning, makes them very hard for me to return them despite the issues I listed.
Just to give a quick update on MT's new firmware. I think the battery drainage has significantly improved and pretty balanced between each bud (4% difference). I've lost about 25% after listening to them for a about 2 hours. Before one of the earbuds would drop to 65% in about an hour, while the other is around 80%. Fyi I am using the Low Power mode. I'll retest with the High Performance mode one day, but I don't find night and day difference between the quality, and will stick with low until I return from a trip.

No random connectivity drops so far.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #30,648 of 62,636
Freebuds pro arrived.
First impressions. Case is very nice and Qi charging!
Took some time to figure out how to install the correct ai life app. This gives you full control of buds etc.

The design and fit are great! With largest tips in the fit is secure and comfortable. Generally not easy for me.

The controls are amazing!you grip the stem. It gives a haptic feedback of a click.
You can toggle ance ambient and off. Change tracks forward back play pause.

Volume control on buds is amazing!slide up and down stem with finger.

ANC is freaking great! Up there with the Sony in limited testing and has 4 modes from dynamic where it figures out level needed. Then there are three other modes.

Made one call and was crystal clear no complaints from other side.
Did not test if ambient canned active during a call.

Oh and Didi I mention it has multipairing? Yes you can connect to your iPad and phone or PC at same time.

Has auto pause when removing a bud too.
Now for the sound......

There is unfortunately no built in EQ on the app. Out of the box the tuning is a bit warm. Mids and bass are very nice. Treble is very reminiscent of the Jabra 85t. Misses a bit of the highs so a bit rolled off.
Not fatiguing but not energetic.

Decided to install wavelet which I still don't understand how some times I need legacy mode and not others..

Unfortunately no auto EQ profile.

Decided to use the graphic equalizer and eq up the treble and a bit of the sub bass region. Sound came alive more.

No it's not the MT but it sounds overall quite good.
Gonna give some more time with them but could be a good all rounder like the 85t.

Would be a nice complement with the MT.

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #30,649 of 62,636
I hope one day we get a very tiny ANC TWS that's on the level of full-sized XM3 level of ANC with at least 10 hrs of continuous battery life. I'm starting to see how useful it would be for sleep. I'm a very light sleeper, so this would be very practical.

This is all I ask for these days. lol

Sized like this. One day....

maxresdefault (4).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #30,650 of 62,636
So the Fiil version is the one tuned by Oluv too? Looking forward to it.

the Ear fun free Pro is the Fiil t1 Pro that Earfun has basically licensed under their own name. The only difference is that they have the firmware tuned to a particular sound profile. There is no EQ or app and the buttons are set a certain way and not customizable. The fill t1 Pro on the other hand has a Chinese app where you have at least eight preset equalizers as well as one that you can customize that is a 10 band equalizer. Additionally you can customize to some degree The touch settings.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #30,651 of 62,636
I hope one day we get a very tiny ANC TWS that's on the level of full-sized XM3 level of ANC with at least 10 hrs of continuous battery life. I'm starting to see how useful it would be for sleep. I'm a very light sleeper, so this would be very practical.

maxresdefault (4).jpg
I have those Bose Sleepbuds II. They have their flaws but man, they do help my sleep issues for sure.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #30,652 of 62,636

maxresdefault (4).jpg

Going to need a significant technological break in battery technology for that to ever happen

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #30,653 of 62,636
I downloaded the new FW for the MT today. Boy, has the sound signature changed. All the reviews that have been done about these so far (for the sound part anyhow) can be thrown out the window. They didn't just tweak them a bit, these are totally different buds than what I bought. Will have to let you know later if I like them or not, because it is going to take time to get used to the different signature.

First impressions though are that I don't like how far they took the sub-bass. It seems like it can still go deep, but all the punch is gone (even trying to boost with EQ). The detail retrieval is much better on the treble end, but (again) I think they overdid it a bit, and it makes the whole sound thin. Mids are still recessed a lot, and sound very thin and not warm at all.

With the way they were tuned before, at least I could decrease the bass and boost the mids, and get a decent sound. At the moment I am not able to tune the bass up enough to get some of that punch back (even boosting it so far it overpowers the mids). It just becomes one bassy sound. It almost seems as though they tried to re-tune it for both the consumer masses, AND the audiophile, and have failed at both.

But, I digress, and will have to listen to them for longer before passing that label with confidence. It might come down to something like my Sennheiser HD700 (if anyone remembers how polarizing those were) where they were just so odd of a sound, at first listen one hated them, but the more one listened the better they sounded.

Edit: NM. Disregard almost all the above. Must be something going on with my Neutron player.... I opened up UAPP and started playing the same songs, and it doesn't sound the same at all. They DID reduce the overall bass, and boosted the treble (and left the mids recessed), but it doesn't sound the same as it did in Neutron by far. The sound HAS changed though, I'm thinking in a positive way now?! :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #30,656 of 62,636
the Ear fun free Pro is the Fiil t1 Pro that Earfun has basically licensed under their own name. The only difference is that they have the firmware tuned to a particular sound profile. There is no EQ or app and the buttons are set a certain way and not customizable. The fill t1 Pro on the other hand has a Chinese app where you have at least eight preset equalizers as well as one that you can customize that is a 10 band equalizer. Additionally you can customize to some degree The touch settings.
So the Oluv version from Earfun is a different sounding TW in-ear from the stock Free Pro offered by Fiil, but the latter gives you an app and EQ? Of course, one can always use their player app to EQ the sound of any in-ear, so there is that option. I use the 20-band EQ on the Kaiser Audio app when called for, listening to onboard source music. If I am streaming, then no EQ using the service I have, which is Amazon HD music. But that's fine. In any case, looking forward to Oluv's take on an already popular and inexpensive TW ear phone.

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #30,657 of 62,636
Yep. I've seen several people suggest it's a dressed-up version of the Panasonic RZ-S500W with a slightly different tuning and some extra features. All changes I think help the AZ70W for the better, but I almost hated it out of the box. Compared to just about every other TWS in my arsenal right now, these have no shame when it comes to everything from the upper-midrange on up. The same veil that keeps a lot of the other pairs from being fatiguing is gone, meaning you're now free to have your ears wrecked by subpar recordings...in the beginning.

But after about a day of running a Harman-ish EQ on them, just casually listening to music at moderate volumes, I think the DD Panasonic chose to put in both units loosens up just enough to smooth over some of that top-end bite. I'm guessing it has to do with loosening up the coated PEEK diaphragm, but it could also just be my ears getting used to things. They're still not as detailed as the UEs up top and, allegedly, the N6Pro. Might have to investigate that one a little more closely, though I need another set of TWS like I need another hole in my head or animal in the house.

Long story short, they can now run on stock EQ without being overly fatiguing and without losing the low-end weight that really makes these things stand out on drum tracks. Just wish they had aptX.
i own both the N6P and AZ70. IMO the N6P does best the Technics in detail but when looking at the big picture, what each pair offers in SQ and features in the case of the AZ70, as the N6p have no ambient, ANC etc, plus other TWEs you have, the better detail isn't worth the money imo. Also, the n6p has an aggressive treble out of the box just like the AZ70 do. It settles down though. on the other hand, the N6P have APTX, each iem has full controls, meaning play-pause, track navigation and volume control which i love for books, podcasts etc when i just use 1.

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #30,658 of 62,636
i own both the N6P and AZ70. IMO the N6P does best the Technics in detail but when looking at the big picture, what each pair offers in SQ and features in the case of the AZ70, as the N6p have no ambient, ANC etc, plus other TWEs you have, the better detail isn't worth the money imo. Also, the n6p has an aggressive treble out of the box just like the AZ70 do. It settles down though. on the other hand, the N6P have APTX, each iem has full controls, meaning play-pause, track navigation and volume control which i love for books, podcasts etc when i just use 1.
Yeah, I do like that each bud has all controls on the N6Pro.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #30,660 of 62,636
So the Oluv version from Earfun is a different sounding TW in-ear from the stock Free Pro offered by Fiil, but the latter gives you an app and EQ? Of course, one can always use their player app to EQ the sound of any in-ear, so there is that option. I use the 20-band EQ on the Kaiser Audio app when called for, listening to onboard source music. If I am streaming, then no EQ using the service I have, which is Amazon HD music. But that's fine. In any case, looking forward to Oluv's take on an already popular and inexpensive TW ear phone.
The Oluv edition is just a different tuning of the earfun free pro. That bud has no app or EQ.
Fiil t1pro is the real earbud that makes the bud for earfun.
The T1pro has an EQ. The advantage is it is saved to the buds so that you can use them in any device and the EQ settings stay.
The advantage is you have your preferred EQ and not some guy from YouTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back