Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #29,416 of 62,501
The design of those are slick.
Shame they have buttons. I bought the AT over them mainly to not go back to the button pushing into the ears thing. The KEF has some nice ergomonc shape, they talk of weighting them for the right balance but they didn't think of the "button mashing' effect.

Odd one off type of thing. Monocozzi/ADV collab.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193629634187?var=493836899047&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps
1613747589520.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #29,423 of 62,501
I don't have the previous version, but I do have the new one. And I have to say it is the best sounding TWS I have tried. Yes, it is also the most expensive and I don't have that many TWS to compare either. But I do have many wired IEMS and this one is on par with many of them, even above. Also, its frequency response is not as strange as other TWS, but very much like that of the TFZ Live X, but without as much physical capability in the low end.
It has been a very pleasant surprise for me.

GEEKFLY GF8S 01.jpgGEEKFLY GF8S 02.jpgGEEKFLY GF8S 04.jpgGEEKFLY GF8S 10.jpg
GEEKFLY GF8S FR.jpg
Do they have good volume/loudness ...my big issue with a lot of TWS. On the box they mention class A Amp but is this just marketing...

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #29,424 of 62,501
Do they have good volume/loudness ...my big issue with a lot of TWS. On the box they mention class A Amp but is this just marketing...
Class A is a type of amplifier (vs B, AB, D, etc.). So if it isn’t a class A amp, then that’s pretty blatant false advertisement.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #29,425 of 62,501
Tempted to grab the Sennheiser CX 400BT before the sale ends this weekend as my "beater" TWS set. My primary use would be biking (trail not road) where I don't need ANC but do enjoy good sound. Seems like these are going to be hard to beat for $99. Anyone who has owned both this and the MTW comment on whether fit is an issue? I had no problems with the fit of the MTW2. Thanks. Anything else out there in at $99 that can hang with these for sound?

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #29,426 of 62,501
Tempted to grab the Sennheiser CX 400BT before the sale ends this weekend as my "beater" TWS set. My primary use would be biking (trail not road) where I don't need ANC but do enjoy good sound. Seems like these are going to be hard to beat for $99. Anyone who has owned both this and the MTW comment on whether fit is an issue? I had no problems with the fit of the MTW2. Thanks. Anything else out there in at $99 that can hang with these for sound?
Ordered as well but won't arrive until next week. Think the part in ear looks to be same shape as MTW2. Just the outside seems boxy.

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #29,429 of 62,501
Wow these look very interesting. I’ve never heard of a piezoelectric ceramic driver before. Response curve is a little scary for me. Do the mids sound very recessed? I’d like to see more reviews of these.

As you can see from the graph, these are U-V IEMS, I can't fool you there. The bass feels very deep, but its tendency towards sub-bass frees up the mids, as usual. But don't expect midrange in the front, at least in their first half. I have to analyse them in depth. Give me time and I'll write a review about them.

That is another issue about which I am always concerned. So much so that I have a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter for volume gain connected to a DAC via its line input. The bad thing is that these things are usually not very reliable in terms of audio quality.
But I can say that their power is superior to other TWS I own and I no longer need to set my smartphone or my HiBy R3 Pro to maximum volume. But don't expect it to be a beast either.

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #29,430 of 62,501
Just got my Kef Mu3.

Overall I’m very impressed.

A few initial observations:

Overall finish: better than I expected. They look a little plasticy In the pictures. The earbuds themselves feel very solid although they are quite light which is good. They are also smaller than expected and don’t stick out as much as I would’ve thought they would. Overall only a tiny bit of Frankenstein look but fairly unobtrusive in the ear. 8/10

The case is a lint magnet but overall solid and snaps shut with a nice click. Shape is odd, and wish it were a bit thinner, but it passes the jeans pocket test. The hinge looks a little flimsy but overall build quality is solid. Earbuds attach solidly and make a clean connection every time. 7/10

Fit: A deeper insertion earbud, which is great for getting a good seal with my big ear canal. Overall seal is better than my Jabra, APP, Melomania 1, and Melomania Touch (returned). In fact it’s the best seal I’ve gotten in a TW, and is close to what I get with my JH13 and JH16. I’d say 80-90% as good which is amazing.

Once inserted they disappear as the body is quite light with the exception of that little tickle you get from deep insertion. Definitely reminiscent of old etymotics. 10/10

User interface: no app but does not seem needed. The buttons are easy to use and a light touch. Easy to switch ANC off. Buttons are angled so you can push up more than in to use which means less of an ear squash than my Jabras and way less than the melomania 1. 8/10

Sound: wow. just wow. Strong bass but not at the expense of clarity. Super wide soundstage. Highs come through nicely with great timing. Definitely a bit of a midrange hole. I haven enjoyed herbie Hancock headhunters as much on TW headphones. Also acoustic sounds stellar. Sound signature is definitely Kef, as I used to have the Kef r3 stand mounts and these evoke the same feeling. Far exceed what APP and Jabra elite 65t can do. Melomania 1 has a much brighter sound but bass less compelling and soundstage has nothing on these. Volume levels are decent but wish it would go up just one more click to 11. 9/10

more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back