Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #28,411 of 62,436
overall I’m enjoying the Technics EAH-AZ70W-K. The fit is awesome and the sound is much better than the XM3’s

The only negative is yesterday I was running on the treadmill at the gym yesterday and started getting a “clunk” sound from the left bud every time my foot hit the treadmill. It was so annoying that I popped in my N6P’s today.

i keep waiting for someone like JH audio to come out with a true wireless IEM. I have Their Bluetooth cable but The bass isn’t adjustable on it and is too heavy for me

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #28,412 of 62,436
Went back and compared the Melomania 1 with the Melomania Touch, and the M1s also still sound very very good, especially with the original CA foam tips. The Touch is for sure a more refined sounding BT IEM, but the difference is more about fit/comfort than sound. For a minor sound boost (10-20%?) it costs $149 vs $79 for the M1s. I am torn, because I do like the improved sound, but the M1s are built like tanks and have very basic design, click not touch. Anyway, I need to sit down and listen at home to both. If I return the Touch, I may try a different brand coming out of CES for an upgrade to the M1, one with ANC maybe, or better mics for calls.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #28,416 of 62,436
G
Listening to Paradise Circus from Massive Attch and have to say the AZ70 slays this song for me. There is a bass line throughout the song and the AZ70 captures it beautifully. Every strum is felt but never overwhelms the song. This is why for me, the AZ70 work so well as most of my headphones and IEM's would over emphasize this and while it would be good in a droning sort of way it just would not act in the same percussive fashion. BTW I posted this using my computer and when I listened to the song on the PC it sounded horrible. I hope this is just a testament to my crappy built in laptop speakers :wink: .

Great song! Will listen to them on the Jabra and see how they go. Am tempted to try the new Liberty air 2 pro.

Sony's going back. Great sound but terrible ergonomics

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #28,417 of 62,436
Which Sony's are you trying to compare to? I have the WF-1000xm3's.

WF-1000xm3.

I actually had the xm3 until Tuesday, but I ran out of time & had to return them. I was messing with the Touch connection issue then charging issue that I sadly didn't get a chance to do A/B test. I finally think I have the Touch figured out - jiggle it a bit until the red light comes on then you are good to go.

From my memory, I'm pretty sure the Touch have slightly better sound in a smaller lighter package. Bass is slightly on the strong side much like the Sony, mids need to be EQ'd a bit to raise a bit, highs are not as smooth as the Sony, soundstage might be slightly better on the Touch, I feel Touch are bit better in sound quality, Touch are smaller+lighter+ipx4 water-resistant, Sony has better app/case but it's close enough, Touch also have aptx. Overall I think Touch are better because smaller package, better bang for the buck, more comfortable and I think they sound bit better. I am kind of mad I didn't have the time to do A/B test. I actually had time but didn't use it properly.

If CA can get the connection issue fixed, I think these are great earbuds. They sound pretty much on par with the cx400bt, which have same drivers as the MTW2. I think cx400 had more neutral sound that was great out of the box. Touch needed some EQ, doesn't quite sound as natural and cx400bt was better with the highs. Cx400bt was barebones with no iptx water-resistance, no transparency mode and not comfortable. Touch has advantage in all 3 things.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #28,418 of 62,436
Got my Geminis. sound is somewhat W shape.
App is buggy. touch sensitivity is sometimes ok.
i like the fit and it is small and dont protrude that much, less than az70w.
Will post more impressions with Ue Fits and AZ70W

Touch sensitivity is not good, especially the double tap seem to be a hit or miss.
App worked fine for me, except a few failed fit-tests (which also induced an imbalance). I haven’t experienced any connections issues so far. The firmware update failed once but worked on the second try.
I noticed at least for me that any strange behaviour (like buds showing 0 % battery although charged) could be solved by unpairing them and pair again with phone.

I’m keeping them crossing fingers Devialet will update firmware. The sound is just amazing imo. Compared to other TW these are my favourites :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #28,420 of 62,436
sorry, I caved...

Just couldn't let the AZ70 sit there for a week plus unused. I like them to much. :xf_cool: So until the bloom wears of I won't be able to tell if my case discharges over time.

On the flip side I am sitting here happily listening to music while I work... :wink:

You must be an iphone user. As a Galaxy user, anything without Aptx or LDAC is a non-starter.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #28,422 of 62,436
You must be an iphone user. As a Galaxy user, anything without Aptx or LDAC is a non-starter.

Though as far as TWS, LDAC is a non-starter. None have and probably won't as there will be the new standard and the more efficent LC3+ soon enough. LDAC in TWS was never a player and probably won't be in the TWS segment. Not sure why a smaller outfit like Hiby can have a true wireless with their UAT codec but Sony couldn't do one with LDAC.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #28,424 of 62,436
Though as far as TWS, LDAC is a non-starter. None have and probably won't as there will be the new standard and the more efficent LC3+ soon enough. LDAC in TWS was never a player and probably won't be in the TWS segment. Not sure why a smaller outfit like Hiby can have a true wireless with their UAT codec but Sony couldn't do one with LDAC.

I use LDAC all the time between my phone and ES100. Yes, not true wireless, and not really waiting for LDAC on a true wireless. I was really saying that, on my Samsung Galaxy S10+ at least, AAC is not implemented particularly well and is noticeably inferior to AptX.

Edit: Could I tolerate AAC? Of course. At this point, though there's no need to settle. It's not like I don't already have way more stuff than I need or really could ever use.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #28,425 of 62,436
I use LDAC all the time between my phone and ES100. Yes, not true wireless, and not really waiting for LDAC on a true wireless. I was really saying that, on my Samsung Galaxy S10+ at least, AAC is not implemented particularly well and is noticeably inferior to AptX.

Edit: Could I tolerate AAC? Of course. At this point, though there's no need to settle. It's not like I don't already have way more stuff than I need or really could ever use.
I can concur same on my Pixel 2XL, toggling in developer options. I'm sure it's posted elsewhere, but has anyone conclusively done an AAC I-phone to Android comparison? I was thinking of switching to an i-phone but this would give me pause.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back