Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #24,976 of 62,437
Nope, I've never had the Dyplay BQC35 but now you have piqued my interest ! Can't see them on AE though and Amazon FR don't have them either...In any case it's not a bad idea to have less passive isolation if that avoids the "thud" and then throw in some ANC (even weaksauce) to help with the background noise. I suppose that's what the APPs do to some extent but they are horribly expensive and the thud was there when I ran with them.
Happy to confirm what @chinmie said: Those Dyplay BCQ35 are mostly thudless!!! Magic. They also stayed in my ears much much better on today’s 21K run than I had anticipated. I expected to have to adjust them frequently and then trigger play pause. Nope, did not happen. BUT: ANC becomes useless, as it amplifies wind noise. So, turn off.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #24,977 of 62,437
Even that is too broad a set of criteria.
Even calls is too broad a set of criteria!

Boltune BT-BH024 are surprisingly good all rounders for calls, especially indoors.
Tronsmart Onyx Free / Neo and Tranya T10 also punch above their weight for calls
I always point at Scarbir for TWS wisdom. We agree mostly on qualifiers and he spent so much more time testing everything, categorizing nicely ...

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #24,979 of 62,437
I always point at Scarbir for TWS wisdom. We agree mostly on qualifiers and he spent so much more time testing everything, categorizing nicely ...

Scarbir is definitely the best to date when it comes to low to mid TWS, and one of the most pleasant website to navigate with all of the comparison and shootout he makes.

his sound preference might be different from mine though but that is obviously a subjective thing to begin with.

I'm still on the fence about the Onyx Ace, because Scarbir rates it somewhat the lower tier compared to other earbuds alternatives like the Edifier and Soundpeats trueair, but watching Sean Talks Tech on YouTube, he said that Onyx ace is the best and alway suggesting it on every questions.. now I'm more confused :smile: :sweat_smile:

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #24,980 of 62,437
Hi! Thanks, that is true...I live in Spain, is there any discount available?

Thanks in advance.

Buy more, save more :D

Fullscreen_8_19_20__2_26_PM.jpg

on amazon.de they are frequently in the 'Today's deal' section at 20€ cheaper (from 99€, we don't get the 94.99)

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #24,981 of 62,437
I don't know why I am still on the fence with those Pana500 ... they are so good somehow, and then have terrible kinks on the other hand (like just now, the auto power off kicked in, and while I can power them back on with the touch pads, it seems they do not auto reconnect! Had to put them back in to box, wait, take out! Needless to say, I disabled auto power off now, sometimes I just like to keep them in my ears because of the ANC)

Did some A/Bing with the Sony xm3 today and noticed that somehow I am giving the Sony way too much leeway! Those suckers drop the connection very briefly more often than I would tolerate from any other buds .. and soundwise .. sometimes I think they are equal, sometimes the Pana sounds better, then the Sony pulls ahead again ...
I think just the fact that I can send the Panasonic back (but not the Sony) makes me question my commitment ...
On the other hand, I only paid 134€, while elsewhere it still sells for 170 ... so, i really should keep them .. no? :D Argh
Plus, no new buds until ... Spring 21 maybe??? (well, the GBeans are supposed to still show up this weekend / Monday )

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #24,982 of 62,437
About the listening style, different people have different idea, but you can also switch by EQ on App. App will come next month!

They're bassy but that's ok, and it's NOT the problem at least three of us are experiencing, i.e. the significant SQ (sound quality) deterioration with thumping bass and muted highs when ANC (and Ambient to a lesser extent) is turned ON and makes music frankly unlistenable and EQ in the upcoming App won't help with that. Surely you must have feedback about that problem ? Are their different hardware/firmware versions that could explain that ?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #24,983 of 62,437
Most likely based on the FX99X earbuds we have these...

"JVC Kenwood will launch the HA-XC90T, a fully wireless earphone from the JVC brand, which is the top model in the XTREME XPLOSIVES series, which is based on the concept of "heavy bass & tough body" in late August. The price is open, but it is expected to sell for around 20,000 yen excluding tax.

"HA-XC90T"

JVC's fully wireless earphones use a driver unit with a maximum diameter of 12 mm. Furthermore, in order to maximize the capability of the driver unit, an independent acoustic chamber was installed in the housing, and the extreme tornado duct formed in a tornado shape properly controlled the movement of the diaphragm, aiming for realistic heavy bass reproduction with depth.

The main body is "TRIPLE PROOF" specification of the impact resistance and IP55 equivalent to THE rubber protector, and can be used in active scenes such as outdoor and street. About 15 hours only on the main body, music playback of about 45 hours can be performed in combination with the charging case.

Qualcomm's TrueWireless Stereo Plus is supported. In addition, Bluetooth supports the standard Ver.5.0 and Power Class 1, as well as a high-performance LDS antenna for stable connectivity. Codec supports SBC/AAC/aptX.

By adopting cVc technology and a high-performance MEMS microphone, clear hands-free calls can be made, and it can also be used for remote meetings during telework. In addition, it is possible to control such as volume adjustment by touch operation."

Not just for bassheads I would assume. The previous model had on board bass adjustment with a flat setting and my JVC have flat and bass setting. These add "talk through" as well.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #24,985 of 62,437
I don't know why I am still on the fence with those Pana500 ... they are so good somehow, and then have terrible kinks on the other hand (like just now, the auto power off kicked in, and while I can power them back on with the touch pads, it seems they do not auto reconnect! Had to put them back in to box, wait, take out! Needless to say, I disabled auto power off now, sometimes I just like to keep them in my ears because of the ANC)

Did some A/Bing with the Sony xm3 today and noticed that somehow I am giving the Sony way too much leeway! Those suckers drop the connection very briefly more often than I would tolerate from any other buds .. and soundwise .. sometimes I think they are equal, sometimes the Pana sounds better, then the Sony pulls ahead again ...
I think just the fact that I can send the Panasonic back (but not the Sony) makes me question my commitment ...
On the other hand, I only paid 134€, while elsewhere it still sells for 170 ... so, i really should keep them .. no? :D Argh
Plus, no new buds until ... Spring 21 maybe??? (well, the GBeans are supposed to still show up this weekend / Monday )
Just the same with my XM3, they fall out my ears but they sound so good to me...

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #24,987 of 62,437
So that's three of us now hearing the deterioration (bass boost, muted highs) of the SQ with ANC ON so I'm not sure if there are different hardware/firmware versions out there (unlikely if not Tronsmart would have told us) or if some of our friends need to have their hearing checked!

I agree with your other comments as well, they're decent, ok SQ, poor passive isolation, ok ANC, but not worth the 90€ I paid for them, especially with the ANC SQ deterioration that makes listening to music impossible for me with ANC ON, so I'm sending them back.

Just tried my new set of Apollo's and they are just like you describe it: bassy and muddy when ANC or Ambient Mode is turned on.
I'll give them a chance and see if break-in changes anything after a few days, although I'm not too positive about it though.

Edit: Wording

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #24,988 of 62,437
really? does the onyx free sound good for calls? I'm really interested buying them because of the IPX 7 and the physical buttons, but i worried about the call quality after reading use reviews on AE and watching this

My recordings sounded nothing like that. They aren't great for outdoor calls - ambient noise kills them. They've removed the mic from the inside and only have one placed on the outside of each bud. For home office they're perfectly fine, but if calls are your sole priority there are alternative products.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #24,989 of 62,437
umh... if you live in EU, these https://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/tronsmart_apollo_bold_sale will sell for 80€ :wink: shipping from IT or ES

Hi!!! thanks for your link, it seems to be quite a good offer but I don't know if based on your reviews is the best option for me...

The limit to return my Sonys XM3 to Amazon is coming and although you have presented me some alternatives and good options I listen to them again and they sound so good to me, but they continue falling out from my ears...what a pity. It is quite a difficult decision if I should keep them or send them back.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #24,990 of 62,437
I have a noob question regarding TWS. Does the source impact the sound quality of a TWS iem or headphone? I mean, smartphone, dedicated dap, laptop etc, would they all sound the same after a TWS iem receives the signal and amplifies it, or do sources retain their original sound?
Ooh, good question.
  • The source's DAC doesn't matter for TWS.
  • What does matter are codecs, codec implementation, and the source file (BT versions are also important, but not for sound quality).
  • Codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX LL, aptX HD, LDAC.
  • All Bluetooth devices can use SBC - but generally SBC sounds bad. Generally all non-Mac devices (so Windows and Linux PCs) will only come with SBC.
  • AAC is the only other codec iOS devices and Mac devices have besides SBC.
  • AAC is also pretty common on Android, but AAC isn't very good on Android (it just doesn't work as well).
  • So, AAC sounds pretty decent on iOS, but generally not too good on Android.
  • aptX, aptX LL, and aptX HD are Qualcomm codecs - all of them are generally available on recent Android phones and and also daps.
  • Do note that aptX LL doesn't focus on sound quality - it focuses on low latency for movies/videos and games.
  • LDAC is a Sony codec, it has the highest possible bit rate at 990kbps, but its performance isn't as good as its competitor, aptX HD.
  • aptX HD, aptX LL, and LDAC aren't very common on TWS anyway, you'll generally only find SBC, AAC, and aptX. And aptX LL has been "discontinued" anyway.
  • There is also aptX Adaptive, which is quite good, because it features a variable bitrate, but as far as I know, no TWS have it, and I don't even know if any mainstream wireless headphones/earbuds have it either.
  • And there's Samsung Scalable Codec, which is kinda like the Samsung version of aptX Adaptive, but it's limited to Samsung phones, tablets, and earbuds.
  • So you'll generally find TWS with: SBC and AAC, or SBC and aptX.
  • I think that's it :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back