Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 18, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #24,961 of 62,124
I have a noob question regarding TWS. Does the source impact the sound quality of a TWS iem or headphone? I mean, smartphone, dedicated dap, laptop etc, would they all sound the same after a TWS iem receives the signal and amplifies it, or do sources retain their original sound?

Yes and no. If both have the same file, codec and signal strength, it shouldn't matter. That said:

Implementation of the codec, bitrates and what codecs are available will make a difference.

The BT available (4.1, 4.2, 5.0, etc.) and antenna on the source will effect overal signal & strength, (ie: possible stuttering or drop outs).

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #24,962 of 62,124
I have a noob question regarding TWS. Does the source impact the sound quality of a TWS iem or headphone? I mean, smartphone, dedicated dap, laptop etc, would they all sound the same after a TWS iem receives the signal and amplifies it, or do sources retain their original sound?

if the scenarios are using the one same TWS:
from my own subjective experience, for APTX codec there's no difference in sound between BT 4.0 and BT 5.0 sources, but hear slight differences for AAC. i heard no difference between two device with the same BT version (for instance a phone and a dedicated DAP with the same BT version)

the difference is really slight that it's borderline negligible though.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #24,963 of 62,124
For the most part, any two modern Bluetooth 4 or 5 devices running on identical ecosystem like Android, will sound extremely similar when playing compressed streaming or compressed local music. This is because the TWS buds have their own amp vs running from a DAC when you use wired earphones.

However, implementation of codecs, especially AAC matters a lot, not just in source device but also in the TWS. My B&O H9i over ear sound really good for AAC. Similarly my MTW2 sound pretty bad on AAC. Jabra 75T sound better than MTW2 on AAC codec. All tested on Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ with streaming lossy music.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #24,965 of 62,124
@chinmie @assassin10000 @VICosPhi thanks to all of you for the feedback, that's one less thing to worry about then. I love the sound of my Ibasso dx160 but the bluetooth performance is godawful.I'm looking for some TWS for sports and will probably end up using them with my phone, since the source gear doesn't impact sound quality too much. My phone has fairly good BT performance, so I should be fine with that.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #24,966 of 62,124
20200819_111634.jpg

so the Apollo Bold has finally arrived.
i only been testing it for half an hour or so, but here's some of my initial impressions:

build quality is good. the unit itself are nicely built and looks classy. the case is light and small. it's plasticky, but i like the battery indicator and that the flap stays open and not slams itself shut.

I'm never a big fan of touch buttons in general. here the buttons are responsive enough to the touch commands, but i think the touch area is too wide, as it always registers a touch everytime i try to put it on or remove it from my ears, and i did try to hold it on the edges.

i also like that the touch won't register when removing it from the ears, but i really wish i can turn the auto pause function off. but i don't know if this unit will ever have an app support.

now the sound. first, i want to confirm what other members already discovered: with ANC mode and Ambient mode on, the bass amount would increase quite a bit. with the stock tips, the ANC off mode has just enough of bass for my taste, so on ANC/Ambient mode (they share the same bass boost signature) it's a bit too much for me.

compared to the Dyplay BQC35 that i have, it doesn't change sound signature at all, but the default sound is bassy as it is (think of the Jabra 65t unEQed).. and it's a bit similar to what this Apollo Bolt sound in ANC mode,with the Bolt sounded warmer and mids a bit reduced.

so i tried using the Reversed KZ tips that i use with the Dyplay on the Bolt. the bass is reduced, but still a bit fatiguing, so might need a bit playtime to see if the bass would settle a bit more.

i don't have a problem with the overall mids and treble of the Bolt, sounds good to me.

ANC blocks to mid freq stronger than the Dyplay, but not as strong as XM3. granted, this also apply to the passive noise blocking, as the XM3 have better passive isolation than the Bolt, and the Dyplay basically almost doesn't block at all.
using, plane cabin sound simulation, they all have a good job cutting out the rumbles, and let in chatters respective to their passive isolation capabilities.

i also like the Ambient mode. you'll definitely know it's feeding through a mic, but it lets in clear sound.

volume can also get crazy loud with this, so a lot of headroom for people who needs it

i haven't had the chance to test the battery life, call quality, and ipx rating capabilities yet.

overall this is a solid product. Tronsmart did sent this to me for free, but i personally say this definitely worth the price.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #24,968 of 62,124

so the Apollo Bold has finally arrived.
i only been testing it for half an hour or so, but here's some of my initial impressions:

build quality is good. the unit itself are nicely built and looks classy. the case is light and small. it's plasticky, but i like the battery indicator and that the flap stays open and not slams itself shut.

I'm never a big fan of touch buttons in general. here the buttons are responsive enough to the touch commands, but i think the touch area is too wide, as it always registers a touch everytime i try to put it on or remove it from my ears, and i did try to hold it on the edges.

i also like that the touch won't register when removing it from the ears, but i really wish i can turn the auto pause function off. but i don't know if this unit will ever have an app support.

now the sound. first, i want to confirm what other members already discovered: with ANC mode and Ambient mode on, the bass amount would increase quite a bit. with the stock tips, the ANC off mode has just enough of bass for my taste, so on ANC/Ambient mode (they share the same bass boost signature) it's a bit too much for me.

compared to the Dyplay BQC35 that i have, it doesn't change sound signature at all, but the default sound is bassy as it is (think of the Jabra 65t unEQed).. and it's a bit similar to what this Apollo Bolt sound in ANC mode,with the Bolt sounded warmer and mids a bit reduced.

so i tried using the Reversed KZ tips that i use with the Dyplay on the Bolt. the bass is reduced, but still a bit fatiguing, so might need a bit playtime to see if the bass would settle a bit more.

i don't have a problem with the overall mids and treble of the Bolt, sounds good to me.

ANC blocks to mid freq stronger than the Dyplay, but not as strong as XM3. granted, this also apply to the passive noise blocking, as the XM3 have better passive isolation than the Bolt, and the Dyplay basically almost doesn't block at all.
using, plane cabin sound simulation, they all have a good job cutting out the rumbles, and let in chatters respective to their passive isolation capabilities.

i also like the Ambient mode. you'll definitely know it's feeding through a mic, but it lets in clear sound.

volume can also get crazy loud with this, so a lot of headroom for people who needs it

i haven't had the chance to test the battery life, call quality, and ipx rating capabilities yet.

overall this is a solid product. Tronsmart did sent this to me for free, but i personally say this definitely worth the price.

So that's three of us now hearing the deterioration (bass boost, muted highs) of the SQ with ANC ON so I'm not sure if there are different hardware/firmware versions out there (unlikely if not Tronsmart would have told us) or if some of our friends need to have their hearing checked!

I agree with your other comments as well, they're decent, ok SQ, poor passive isolation, ok ANC, but not worth the 90€ I paid for them, especially with the ANC SQ deterioration that makes listening to music impossible for me with ANC ON, so I'm sending them back.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #24,969 of 62,124
So that's three of us now hearing the deterioration (bass boost, muted highs) of the SQ with ANC ON so I'm not sure if there are different hardware/firmware versions out there (unlikely if not Tronsmart would have told us) or if some of our friends need to have their hearing checked!

I agree with your other comments as well, they're decent, ok SQ, poor passive isolation, ok ANC, but not worth the 90€ I paid for them, especially with the ANC SQ deterioration that makes listening to music impossible for me with ANC ON, so I'm sending them back.

did you already sent them back? might want to try that KZ reversed tips if you still have it, to see if it works for you

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #24,970 of 62,124
or if some of our friends need to have their hearing checked!

last time I checked my hearing was perfect for my age, actually I can hear more highs than usual for my age.
I can confirm that my pair of Apollo Bold show absolutely no difference in SQ going from ANC to Ambient to No-ANC. everything is perfectly the same to my ears. I have tested this in many situations (eq on/off, noisy/quiet environments, different tips, different smartphones). when I get back home I will also try something I haven't tried before, i.e. using AAC instead of aptX and see if something different.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #24,972 of 62,124
anyone else notice some driver flex on their galaxy buds live? I know, weird, given their open design but I have some driver flex on the left side. :frowning2:

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #24,973 of 62,124
last time I checked my hearing was perfect for my age, actually I can hear more highs than usual for my age.
I can confirm that my pair of Apollo Bold show absolutely no difference in SQ going from ANC to Ambient to No-ANC. everything is perfectly the same to my ears. I have tested this in many situations (eq on/off, noisy/quiet environments, different tips, different smartphones). when I get back home I will also try something I haven't tried before, i.e. using AAC instead of aptX and see if something different.

might be a difference in firmware unit? maybe your unit is the newer one that doesn't have that problem.

i know my unit definitely has that difference in sound modes, as well as @webvan and several other members, I'm curious who else here who like you also have a unit with no sound variation

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #24,974 of 62,124

did you already sent them back? might want to try that KZ reversed tips if you still have it, to see if it works for you
Thanks for sharing your impressions, I was thinking about them, but I cannot stand with bassy iems so that they are not for me, definitely.

Have a nice day!

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #24,975 of 62,124
Thanks for sharing your impressions, I was thinking about them, but I cannot stand with bassy iems so that they are not for me, definitely.

Have a nice day!
About the listening style, different people have different idea, but you can also switch by EQ on App. App will come next month!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back