Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 28, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,431 of 62,421
What type of spinfit would fit? would like of try one of those on some of my earbuds

Some update on the mavin:
Left it connected to the hiby r3 overnight and it played on medium-low for 7 hours straight. Then connected it to the unihertz atom and reported battery was 57%.

Was first disappointed that it would not turn on or off without the case, but it goes to sleep after a while then can be powered on with the buttons and paired.

Tested outside for a walk, but with hiby r3 that has poor bluetooth. So long as the r3 is on the left side it seems ok. With the lg g7 the connection strength is noticeable better inside with walls etc.

Sound quality for someone else go into, other than I think they are fine. Loud enough with ok bass ones the fit is ok. Did get a few cheap chinese tws 5.0 before settled jabra 65t, and the mavin is happily better than them.

only thing it seems remembered paired devices is low, I think its 3 devices before you have to pair again.

I use CP100 but it was hard to get it on, so get the ones with bigger diameter. CP100 nozzle seems to be shorter than needed too, so get ones that longer (I cover the bottom part with foam to make up for the short nozzle)

Update impression for Mavin Air-X:
- call quality is good (tested in a silent room though)
- i can confirm around 35 hrs of battery with aptx
- might help with the fit when you push it in while pulling down the bottom part of your ear
- to change device, you have to keep pressing either button until you hear a double tone (I found out that while pressing: 1 tone = pause; 2 tone = connect mode; 3 tone = turn off that earbud)
- sound with stock tips = high treble, barely any sub-bass, wide sound-stage (quite surprising for my experience), mid is good, mediocre imaging
- sound with Dekoni / Comply foam = mellow high, more impact bass, a little warmer
*keep in mind I'm rating the sound based on their price range. It's quite good for my taste with this price. Certainly beat out Jabra Elite 65T Active IMO

I will keep using this for another week until my TRN BT20 MMCX adapter come.....I have a special project for these and will update with pictures if anyone is interested.

I pair Mavin with s8+ and Shangling M0....connection seems solid but it does drop sometimes. Not that much though.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2,432 of 62,421
Forgot to mention in my Havit G1 rundown that the microphone is very poor, I got a call while I was trying them at my desk, person could barely hear me, had to switch back to the phone.

Yes the mic is not fantastic and neither is the one in the E8, but I made 2 calls each of 10-15 minutes while out walking and I could hear everything and the opposite party didn’t complain that they had trouble hearing me however I don’t like that the call only goes to the right unit, much prefer to hear sound in both ears. But for me the call side is not very important, I probably only do 1 or 2 per week at most

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #2,433 of 62,421
Yes one side only is not great but still usable, not really a "con". I could hear the person on the other side fine, they could barely make out what I was saying though.

Same problem with the Vigorun and to some extent with the WF-1000x (they worked but I sounded "distant") I never had any comments with the Jabras (both SE and 65t) even outdoors in windy conditions.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,434 of 62,421
Yes one side only is not great but still usable, not really a "con". I could hear the person on the other side fine, they could barely make out what I was saying though.

Same problem with the Vigorun and to some extent with the WF-1000x (they worked but I sounded "distant") I never had any comments with the Jabras (both SE and 65t) even outdoors in windy conditions.

Well Jabfra come from call headsets so I would expect them to be amongst the best in this respect

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,436 of 62,421
I use CP100 but it was hard to get it on, so get the ones with bigger diameter. CP100 nozzle seems to be shorter than needed too, so get ones that longer (I cover the bottom part with foam to make up for the short nozzle)

- to change device, you have to keep pressing either button until you hear a double tone (I found out that while pressing: 1 tone = pause; 2 tone =

ok, changing from paired devices you mean?

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,440 of 62,421
I'm happy for the #1 and #2 here but the LDAC thing just made me laugh because first off I found the 1000XM3 to sound lacking compared to several others due to how digitally processed the sound is (the VModa sounds better over SBC for pete's sake), but secondly because the idea that you can hear LDAC vs aptX is just hilarious. LDAC is nice and all, but since aptX is pushing at higher than 320kbps which is already nicely above "transparency" level you're talking pure placebo. I swear it's like people hear some numbers and then Emperor's New Clothes the hell out of themselves.

More than that, comparing a TWE to a full-size and thinking the sound difference was because of the codec and not the myriad other factors? Come on, son.

I don't appreciate the tone of your reply. I was helpfully trying to share my impressions with the community here, and you are attacking me. Additionally, don't call me "son". It's rude to do it to anyone, and it's especially rude to do it to me because I'm probably older than you. It's a weak "power move" and I won't stand for it.

Secondly, I can hear extremely clearly the difference between AAC and LDAC on my 1000XM3. That's not the apples-to-oranges comparison you falsely accused me of - that's two different codecs on the same headphone. The AAC has some tizziness in the highs and some flabbiness in the lows that the LDAC doesn't have. I'd say you're in the small minority who thinks LDAC HD doesn't have better sound quality than SBC/AAC/APTX and as such you'd be well served to express your fringe opinions with a little more humility.

I suspect you're listening to lossy, low-bitrate, files or streams and it's entirely possible that they don't sound better over LDAC than over SBC/AAC/APTX. I'm listening to uncompressed files and the difference is clear. Don't assume everyone is doing things the way you do.

Thirdly, you completely missed my point. Go back and read my post. I didn't compare the sound of the TWM with the full size. I said that the TWM were good enough that listening to them put me in a music-listening mood, and that using them made me wish I were listening to my full-size headphones, or wired iems. That's not a comparison, that's a description of the experience of listening to the TWM.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,441 of 62,421
@SomeGuyDude, I will say that using tidal hi-fi on my Mobius I could tell the difference between AAC and LDAC over a Note 9. You may have a fair point about whether the difference could be noticed on something like the Active 65T using Apple Music or Spotify and I don't know the answer to that. I also agree with others upthread that the codec itself is not going to make the headphone. For instance, many have commented on the good SQ of the true connect without aptx (although it appears it secretly may have AAC) and my own experience with the PSB TW1 which uses SBC only confirms that headphones can sound good without advanced codes. My guess is in the TW space right now, AAC and Aptx are probably fine and any gains from LDAC or AptxHD are probably not worth the cost/chipset effort etc. I also think completely omitting Aptx or AAC at any price point is a mistake and yes, I'm pointing at you RHA.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,443 of 62,421
FWIW i can totally tell the difference between AptX and AAC on my cheap KZ MMCX bluetooth cable, to the point that i find myself digging into my phone's BT settings immediately if the later is not selected.
Which do you prefer? My understanding is that AAC and Aptx are pretty damn close but I thought I read somewhere maybe that AAC over Android may not sound as good as AAC over iPhone. Edit, I see you prefer Aptx to AAC. That's one that surprises me a bit since by all accounts they are very close to one another.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,444 of 62,421
Which do you prefer? My understanding is that AAC and Aptx are pretty damn close but I thought I read somewhere maybe that AAC over Android may not sound as good as AAC over iPhone. Edit, I see you prefer Aptx to AAC. That's one that surprises me a bit since by all accounts they are very close to one another.

Maybe it's the cable itself (which i pair with a Pixel 3), but AAC sounds much better at the same bitrate to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back