Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #23,851 of 62,591
Is it safe to say that the microphone on any decent wired earbud is better than the microphone on any TWS earbud?

I am thinking of getting a pair of KZ ZSM with Mic for work to attend Zoom meetings. I just want to make sure people will be able to hear me.
In general, yes. I have found that most of the mics on a decent pair of wired iems are way better than the average mic quality on tws sets costing <$90.

When you get in the +$100 range the mics can be quite good, with the apple air pod pro's at the top.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #23,852 of 62,591
What TWS ya got so far? What is your fav sound sig?
Honestly? Just cycled through some expensive pairs like the WF-100XM3s, MW07, etc. Couldn;t justify the price-to-performance ratio compared to chi-fi, considering that I mainly drive headphones anyway. Also, I hate stem designs :p. I just hate it when: SQ is flat (not really analytical, but like completely flat), or when the bass overspills into other freqs. Other than that, I just want >5-6 hours of battery life, and USB Type-C (can't handle microUSB anymore :) ). So it looks like I can choose between the Enacfire E60s, Tranya Rimors, Bowmaker Sifi II, and the EarFun Free.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #23,853 of 62,591
No, most iem mics are actually terrible and will feedback all sounds pushed to earphones back through the mic, I've tested many cables and iems and have only found a few. You have to find some that are made with a good mic. I believe Xiaomi uses knowles mics, Huawei might as well. The apple one is good as well. TWSs don't have to share cables in that manner and have an entirely separate mic circuit and so can do better, but most cheap TWSs have crap mics so... The best mic I had so far was on the earfun air.

I use my wired Shure SE425s with an old Shure mic cable for calls (I think it was called the CBL-M-K - still using this instead of the newer one that came with my SE846 since it refuses to fall apart). The mic on my TW earbuds are not great (MTW (original), MW07 Go and JBL Reflect Flow). The inline mic on the Shure cable sounded great to me based on my own mic tests. I like wired IEMs for calls because I can keep one ear open for calls, which I am usually on for a few hours a day, and I can easily alternate ears. Someone actually told me the other day that I was the first person he talked to that day who sounded clear (and I didn't even ask if he could hear me well...guess he was sick of muffled calls). More and more people seem to be using their APPs or other TW these days. I usually take my calls indoors but I sit next to an air conditioner which is pretty loud (or my wife or son are sometimes watching TV in the background) and no one has ever complained.

The Buds+ seems to get great reviews but haven't pulled the trigger on that one since I switched from Samsung to an LG V60. Hopefully TWS can get there soon.

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #23,854 of 62,591
I use my wired Shure SE425s with an old Shure mic cable for calls (I think it was called the CBL-M-K - still using this instead of the newer one that came with my SE846 since it refuses to fall apart). The mic on my TW earbuds are not great (MTW (original), MW07 Go and JBL Reflect Flow). The inline mic on the Shure cable sounded great to me based on my own mic tests. I like wired IEMs for calls because I can keep one ear open for calls, which I am usually on for a few hours a day, and I can easily alternate ears. Someone actually told me the other day that I was the first person he talked to that day who sounded clear (and I didn't even ask if he could hear me well...guess he was sick of muffled calls). More and more people seem to be using their APPs or other TW these days. I usually take my calls indoors but I sit next to an air conditioner which is pretty loud (or my wife or son are sometimes watching TV in the background) and no one has ever complained.

The Buds+ seems to get great reviews but haven't pulled the trigger on that one since I switched from Samsung to an LG V60. Hopefully TWS can get there soon.
Shure will use a decent mic, the person had mentioned KZs so I was replying at that aliexpress level. If you have a decent mic, cable will sound pretty good.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #23,855 of 62,591
Yep. The manual here: https://www.tranya.com/tmp/file/2ad25f70d9.pdf confirms that weird control setup...so sad. I was going to wait until this released on Amazon for cheap, like every other Tranya product, but the wacky controls makes this a no-go for me. Might reconsider the Rimor...
I second @Mouseman. I've had the first and second versions of the Rimors and they are the worst Tranya product IMO by far. Unless of of course all you are interested in is midrange, they have plenty of that. If i'm really desperate and none of my other 5-6 go to's are charged i'll use them for audiobooks.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #23,856 of 62,591
I was just buzzing through the thread, so I apologize if I missed something. The form factor of the Tranya T10 looks near identical to the Rimor. Has anyone had a hands on with them yet? As i've previously mentioned I really did not like the sound of the Rimor, but I def. like the form factor.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #23,857 of 62,591
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #23,858 of 62,591
I finally finally got my T10's (I suppose that's one of the benefits of living in HK these day being close to the borders :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

As usual I definitely needed better ear tips, so I slapped on some Comply tips and it helped with sound isolation and leak heaps. I also received the FiiO FW1's this week as well and so I'm now able to have a very quick dirty comparison between the two.

I think the T10's sound more expansive and handle bass better. This is just a brief impression I'm getting from listening to the T10's however. The connectivity of the T10's also seem much more in line with your typical BT earphone, whereas I've been experiencing weird issues with the FW1's (things like not turning on and automatically pairing when being removed from the case and not shutting off when they're placed back in the case with the lid closed).

Neither phones seem to have a way to upgrade firmware over time with an app to support it so I'm not sure how that works (especially since the FiiO have connectivity issues that could probably be resolved through a firmware upgrade).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #23,859 of 62,591
[QU
Tested Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 today at 60% volume with ANC ON and only got 4 hours 05 minutes battery life out of them. These are only a week old. Are you guys getting the same battery life out of these?

BTW, Amazon US has WF-1000XM3 for $178

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WF-1000XM3-Industry-Canceling-Wireless/dp/B07T81554H/
i haven't had a reason to listen longer than 4 hours with these, longest was right around 4 hours while traveling. i rarely use these past 50% and i had anc on the whole time, and still had right around half the battery left according to the app, and the estimate on my phone. i've found that feature in Android to be vastly improoved from when i first ssaw it a couple years ago. now i'm gonna have to do the full battery drain test though.
FWIW, i only charge them via a wall charger.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #23,860 of 62,591
OMG OMG OMG
another BOSE leak!!!
5CF8F582-DF94-40DE-9CF4-5392BEABBB72.jpeg
perviously unseen model!
sounds like a legit website :wink:

(and no, I won’t link to those scammers. For those not realizing it yet, this is just a bit of pre-weekend tomfoolery :wink: )

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #23,862 of 62,591
Did some here say they like their PaMu scroll?

Looks like there is a chance to get one cheap on amazon warehouse ... but the reviews are really bad ...

But there might also be a tiny chance I order this for 27€ and actually get a Beyerdynamic Avantho??? :D

Beyerdynamic_EDT_Aventho_Wireless_and_Wired_Headphones__Amazon_de.jpg

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #23,863 of 62,591
No? :frowning2: Shame. Is it because of their SQ? Cause their feature set seems perfect to me.
Yes. The SQ is among the worst I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot. I have the B530s and love them, but the Rimors are a disaster. I have no-name buds that are more listenable than the Rimors.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #23,864 of 62,591
Did some here say they like their PaMu scroll?

Looks like there is a chance to get one cheap on amazon warehouse ... but the reviews are really bad ...

But there might also be a tiny chance I order this for 27€ and actually get a Beyerdynamic Avantho??? :D

the treble is not piercing.. per-se.. but i'd call it abrasive? listening to the pamu scroll for some period of time will fatigue my ears and make them ringing. the pamu unique that i also now have strangely also shared the similar treble abrasive-ness, but with better bass and mids tuning. it's similar to the Sony EX1000's treble (on that abrasive term).

if you have no problem with listening to the EX1000, then the Pamu would be good for you, because the truth is as a package they're nicely built

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back