Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #22,951 of 62,448
Yeah, but you knew about the big 0.95 when you opted for them. The black quartz looks like real stone to me, and a little more high-end I think. Today I dropped my right one about 1.5 feet onto the floor air-conditioner and heater vent's metal grate, and it didn't leave a single mark on it and they work fine. The Leica version just looked like a softer material in the pictures, and although I'm a Leica owner I didn't want the styling in my IEM.

I wore the MW07+ on a walk with my dog for a mile in ambient mode, and I didn't hear my feet thumping inside my head, and I was even able to hear birds chirping and talk to a neighbor who was 30 feet away with minimal occlusion. APP transparency is better, but this is good enough. I like that Ambient has sooo much less hiss than the Jabra 75t, and I think it's actually working about as well as XM3 with the Ambient set for 18/20.
I got the same version as you: Black Quartz. In my haste, I actually didn't notice the Leica Version until the other member posted it. I was remarking that the case looks quite snazzy and won't likely be a fingerprint magnet, but I'm not sure of I can deal with walking around with 0.95 on the earbuds vs. the more luxurious looking Black Quartz.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #22,952 of 62,448
Decided to skip the whole TWS craze and stick with wired Chi-Fi iems (and over-ear BT cans) till I suddenly got annoyed by the heat and wires (working from home). No idea why I didn't give this a shot before.

Looked at a graphs to see what sound signature I might prefer and got the Samsung GBuds+ (a week ago) and now the Tevi (today).

Quick takeaways:
  1. Samsung's engineering is amazing. The GBuds+ are clearly the better package physically (got the BestBuy aura blues and they're sexy).
  2. The GBuds+ touch controls are far easier to use than the Tevi's tactile buttons. Not the biggest deal to me since I almost never use them.
  3. Samsung is really turning into the next Apple. The lack of Apt-X and locking SBC at 37 (out of 53) Bitpool is clearly to force users into their proprietary codec (and their phones). Basically ensures that unless you own a Samsung device, the Buds+ are a non-starter.
  4. Apt-X vs bad SBC is instantly noticeable! I didn't think it would be so clearly noticeable. Seems that Windows 10 will connect via Apt-X as long as you have a 4.0+ dongle (even if it's not Apt-X certified).
  5. They both have pretty similar sound signature (because that's what I was looking for). I prefer the Gbuds+ (on clear) but the difference isn't significant enough to pick one over the other. I'd say the Tevis come out on top with their app (equalizer). They just need to get it on iOS. The Tevis seem like the GBuds+ on Dynamic.
  6. Both very comfortable and easy to get a seal. However, the Tevis are 1.5g lighter and definitely feel lighter (noticed the weight difference and weighed them).
  7. The Tevis have better range and a better microphone by far. Not even CLOSE. However, the Tevi only has one mic between the two pairs which is kind of an odd choice.
  8. Samsung's case is so much smaller but the Tevis give you much more of a recharge (22 vs 70). I'd say it's a wash. Both last around 10 hours so battery life is a wash.
  9. Tevis don't have audio passthrough but I never bother with that. Something to keep in mind if you use it.
  10. One major win for the GBuds+ is that you don't need to disconnect from one device to connect to the other. Connect from your new device and they jump right over.
I think Samsung made a real miss-step with their codec choices (see #2). For $60 less, it's a real conundrum as to which one goes back. Leaning towards keeping the Tevi at the moment (as the majority of my use is with a Windows machine and iPhone). I think Apt-X would have made the GBuds+ a no brainer (total shame).

I'll probably stop here and wait for what BT 5.2 will bring. Very excited about the future of TWS. I don't have a wired pair with me to compare but the convenience is definitely worth whatever hit there is in audio quality I think.

Buds.jpg
GBuds+ Codecs:
Galaxy Buds Bluetooth.png
Tevi Codecs:
TEVI Bluetooth.png
What are you going to try next? I'd hate to think it stops at the Tevi and GBuds+. It's like drinking 1 lite beer and saying "I'm Out".

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #22,954 of 62,448
What are you going to try next? I'd hate to think it stops at the Tevi and GBuds+. It's like drinking 1 lite beer and saying "I'm Out".

I've read through this thread and don't really see anything else tugging at my wallet (fortunately). What are other recommendations for something that sounds like an ER2XR (not a fan of lots of mid-bass)?
Sony's house sound isn't exactly my thing and the XM3's are too unweildly lol.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #22,955 of 62,448
I got the same version as you: Black Quartz. In my haste, I actually didn't notice the Leica Version until the other member posted it. I was remarking that the case looks quite snazzy and won't likely be a fingerprint magnet, but I'm not sure of I can deal with walking around with 0.95 on the earbuds vs. the more luxurious looking Black Quartz.
Okay, my bad.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #22,956 of 62,448
Why did you get those instead of the M30 Plus?
The only difference was the larger case, but I rarely would be in a situation to use all the juice from the case before charging it anyway. Also, this would be mainly for the gym and I bring a small gym pouch with me, so it would add weight I don't need. Plus, keeping the purchase starting with a "2" is almost considered a non-purchase by the Mrs., so I can make another purchase with no possibility for future nagging.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #22,957 of 62,448
The only difference was the larger case, but I rarely would be in a situation to use all the juice from the case before charging it anyway. Also, this would be mainly for the gym and I bring a small gym pouch with me, so it would add weight I don't need. Plus, keeping the purchase starting with a "2" is almost considered a non-purchase by the Mrs., so I can make another purchase with no possibility for future nagging.

Also,

"Q3.I have bought M30 and M30 Plus at the same time, can I put earbuds of M30 in the charging case of M30 plus to charge? Or put earbuds of M30 plus to the charging case of M30 to charge?

NO, although earbuds of M30 and M30 plus are the same in appearance, but the battery case can't charge the different model earbuds. Please use the original case to charge the earbuds, not mix."

So, you can't use the larger case with the regular buds. Why would they do that?

Also, the video review by Patuoxun says the Mpow M30 have more bass than the M30 Plus, and "it says so right on the box".

EDIT - tell you what - imma order both and compare them before I give them to my kids.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #22,959 of 62,448
Also,

"Q3.I have bought M30 and M30 Plus at the same time, can I put earbuds of M30 in the charging case of M30 plus to charge? Or put earbuds of M30 plus to the charging case of M30 to charge?

NO, although earbuds of M30 and M30 plus are the same in appearance, but the battery case can't charge the different model earbuds. Please use the original case to charge the earbuds, not mix."

So, you can't use the larger case with the regular buds. Why would they do that?

Also, the video review by Patuoxun says the Mpow M30 have more bass than the M30 Plus, and "it says so right on the box".

EDIT - tell you what - imma order both and compare them before I give them to my kids.
That'll be interesting to see what your impressions are and compatibility between the cases. @Bartig seems to suggest the buds are the same, but it's not clear if he actually has both of them.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #22,960 of 62,448
I've read through this thread and don't really see anything else tugging at my wallet (fortunately). What are other recommendations for something that sounds like an ER2XR (not a fan of lots of mid-bass)?
Sony's house sound isn't exactly my thing and the XM3's are too unweildly lol.
They'll stick out a bit, but the Nuarl N6 Pro rates well and sounds like a signature you may enjoy. I had the first version with a similar design and they were comfortable. Also, the MW07 Plus is worth a shot. Sound is lively and engaging, but some people have comfort/fit issues.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #22,963 of 62,448
BTW, lest anyone thinks I am bashing Galaxy Buds Plus, they are not that bad and are full of features.

My TWO main complaints are:

(1) The treble with music is a little too hot for me at moderate to high volumes, and it can't be properly EQ'd in the app without making them sound dull and lifeless with the "bass boost" or "smooth" EQ. Which sucks because at low volumes they sound pretty good and aren't too shrill, as the V-shape frequency response acts like a loudness control for low volume listening.
(2) The ambient mode is a little too treble oriented and doesn't pass through lower frequencies, and is very susceptible to wind noise. It really amplifies the clacking of my typing on my MacBook Pro 16".

The good things are:

(1) With ambient mode on, I can hear my own voice almost as clearly as I can when wearing APP = GREAT FOR PHONE CALLS
(2) You can set ambient mode to actually amplify the TV speakers at night to hear more clearly while people are sleeping.
(3) They are supremely comfortable, more than many of the others that I have - they just disappear.
(4) The sound at low to medium volumes is detailed and crisp with good bass extension (at higher volumes the treble gets grating).
(5) Passive noise reduction is very good. I'm okay without ANC.
(6) You can control EVERYTHING with taps and presses for play, pause, answer, hangup, skip fwd and back, ambient, voice assistant, and volume up and down.
(7) Qi charging, need I say more?
(8) Tiny size of case and buds, which stays tiny even with an aftermarket case to protect the glossy finish.
(9) You can lock the touch pad if you will be using them in the rain or snow to avoid unwanted taps, and use your water resistant phone to control playback or volume.
(10) They have "find my earbud" which produces a loud "chirping bird" sound to help you find the one that fell behind the couch - it DOES not help find them when they are in the case and it is shut, as that turns them off and disconnects them.
(11) No hearing any thumping of my footsteps inside my head when my ears are occluded with them in ambient mode - they don't stick out as much and are therefore more stable than my MTW and so they thump less. If I push on my MTW while walking the thumping goes away.
(12) I can take a walk with the dog with ambient sound at level 2 or 3 out of 4 total, and hear cars coming and birds chirping WHILE at the same time listening to quiet music, without the THUMP, and without missing out on the deep bass or treble sparkle.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #22,964 of 62,448
They'll stick out a bit, but the Nuarl N6 Pro rates well and sounds like a signature you may enjoy. I had the first version with a similar design and they were comfortable. Also, the MW07 Plus is worth a shot. Sound is lively and engaging, but some people have comfort/fit issues.
I considered the MW07 Plus but the graph doesn't look like my type of playback. I haven't seen a graph of the N6P. Does it behave like the Tevi (you have to disconnect to connect to another source)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back