Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #18,436 of 63,016
In Honor of the late and great Neil Peart, who was one of my first inspirations as a drummer, i've been listening to Rush today on the N6/Pro and the T1X. The NUARLs are exquisite. The T1X just seems too shrill even on bass EQ.
I've burnt both the NUARLs in for roughly 10-16 hours using pink/brown noise, so freq. sweeps and a playlist of all sorts of different music. Everything on Moving Pictures by Rush sounds Fantastic. The N6 Pro is still super detailed but it's a bit too cold w/o the extra bass the N6 has.
The N6 really brings it. I think it was @Spamateur, @tma6 or @Luchyres who mentioned that you still get 90% of the detail in the N6. I'd say it's more like 85%, but boy is it excellent. I've also been playing with EQ's on the L2pro today and while I got it sounding really good, The Nuarl's are just a whole different kind of Samurai magic. I"m keeping the N6. If you haven't tried them or think they are too expensive @ $130 i'd urge you to take the leap. You won't be disappointed. I recant what I said earlier about them not handling poorly mastered music well. I think burning them in really helped.

For example, Working Man of RUSH (1974) is a pretty poorly recorded track and on my L2pro's I had it sound pretty dang good. On the N6 everything sounds better.

Edit: I also did some minor EQing in spotify, and the N6 responded really well.

Same tips right, comparing the Nuarl with each other. Still thinking they probably both need more hours. Seem close though to make preference be the deciding factor. What about the stage size??

I got to checkout with the Edifier, which seems in stock but no volume control according to the manual...
upload_2020-1-11_14-3-50.png

Then also, in the Helm video it is obvious to see the rotary control thing was an issue so they scrapped it but don't think I want touch. So, my list is seemingly getting shorter and shorter.

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #18,437 of 63,016
Before or after the update of the earpieces? Update them and the sound signature changes a lot. From bright and clear to a bit dark-ish, with a lower-mid and bass jump, but way less forward vocals.

Yes I also noticed that but I did find the original sound signature for me to be a little bright. I loved the details but didn't like the lack of deep bass.

The update offers me the chance to change the sound with eq but the default flat sounds pretty much works for me.

I must admit I really liked the sound character of the Sony WF1000XM3's but felt that they didn't go quite loud enough for me (and that's something that really has to be right up front - can't be easily changed with software). The firmware and software update for the Tevi brings the character closer to the Sony sound and that's perfectly fine by me.

I do wonder if Lypertek will change the sound character back to default when the software comes out of beta.

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #18,438 of 63,016
Really? I see a whole lot of good words about the Liberty 2 Pro, and while I like the wide soundstage of it, I also find the sound very artificial. Way overboosted bass - up until the point that it can really get annoying, even with the reduced bass EQ - and I hear a certain hiss over upper-mids, like female vocals. I absolutely love the build quality and app, but the sound doesn't do the trick for me.

I know it’s a bit out of the price range with respect to the stuff you usually review, but it would be awesome if you got them to hear your thoughts on the NUARL N6 Pro. Right now it’s my king of detail retrieval, timbre, and imaging in the TWS space :)

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #18,439 of 63,016
Well, I added a comparison between the Fiil T1X and L2P in my review... :)

So it seems you're saying the T1X are better than the L2P ? I'm intrigued especially since they have wings and appear to isolate well, making them good for bike use instance. I currently use the Bomaker and M5 for that but without wings the seal breaks too easily so I pull out the Havit G1 but the SQ is not exactly great. It's too bad there's no way to get them at a good price and quickly in Europe :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #18,440 of 63,016
So far the N6 Pro is quite nice. While I don't think they are necessarily game changing, I do think they are moving the needle in the right direction for those who value SQ above all else. They are extremely balanced and neutral to my ears. If I didn't know these were single DD IEMS, I would think they could pass for a hybrid. The highs are extremely crisp and detailed. Detail and separation are the stars of the show to a level I don't think I've heard on a TWS. There is a sense of openness and air that is also typically missing from TWS. Not sure if that's the HDSS or what that is contributing to that. The bass or lack thereof is fine. These aren't bass light they just aren't bass heavy. I listen to mostly alternative and rock. Since I'm stuck with an iphone, I can't bump the bass and I would like to give them a try with a little boost but I'm pretty satisfied with it as is. There is zero bleed and they can go low where the track calls for it. If you put a gun to my head, I think I would say they even edge out the MW07 for SQ. What they lack in tonality, they gain in detail and soundstage.

As an aside, I was traveling this week and used my APP exclusively and man are they awesome. I used to carry multiple pairs on travel but I think APP is so good, so convenient and so small that I probably would't bother anymore. The ANC was more than sufficient on the plane and allowed me to keep volume at 50%.

Now, I would really like to see if Bose can beat the APP with better SQ and ANC. Or maybe Nuarl will add ANC to the N6. I'm starting to think ANC is going to be a requirement for me going forward. Once you have it, it's hard to give it up.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #18,441 of 63,016
So far the N6 Pro is quite nice. While I don't think they are necessarily game changing, I do think they are moving the needle in the right direction for those who value SQ above all else. They are extremely balanced and neutral to my ears. If I didn't know these were single DD IEMS, I would think they could pass for a hybrid. The highs are extremely crisp and detailed. Detail and separation are the stars of the show to a level I don't think I've heard on a TWS. There is a sense of openness and air that is also typically missing from TWS. Not sure if that's the HDSS or what that is contributing to that. The bass or lack thereof is fine. These aren't bass light they just aren't bass heavy. I listen to mostly alternative and rock. Since I'm stuck with an iphone, I can't bump the bass and I would like to give them a try with a little boost but I'm pretty satisfied with it as is. There is zero bleed and they can go low where the track calls for it. If you put a gun to my head, I think I would say they even edge out the MW07 for SQ. What they lack in tonality, they gain in detail and soundstage.

would you dump your TRN BT20s combo for the N6 Pros? i think my preference in sound is closer to yours so i might give them a try. The N6 looks rather big on the ear, seems to be on pair with the sony which isnt really comfortable. how would you rate their comfort level?

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #18,443 of 63,016
would you dump your TRN BT20s combo for the N6 Pros? i think my preference in sound is closer to yours so i might give them a try. The N6 looks rather big on the ear, seems to be on pair with the sony which isnt really comfortable. how would you rate their comfort level?

I don't know about "dumping" but the N6 has the advantage of sounding at least as good as my BT20s combos and also has sweatproofing. The are not the most attractive TWS I've seen. In fact, I pretty much hate the way the look. I really wish they had not put gold trim on them. They don't look that bad on the ears but not as slim as the BT20. Comfort seems fine. Fit is just okay. The wings are useless but they seem pretty stable. I couldn't run with them but I think light activity; walking; cardio etc. they should be okay.

I probably will be more inclined to grab these over the BT20 simply because they require less fuss and I can use them at the gym. If you are in the US and can buy on Amazon, I think they are worth giving them a try. At $162 I don't think you would be disappointed.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #18,444 of 63,016
For those wanting to buy the T1X in Europe, there is a seller in Italy. Not the best price, though. https://geekbuying.app.link/TPgANHKg42
I already bought one and they came with the voice prompts in English. 3 days delivery only.

Are they worth it @ $100AUD??? These seem to be recommended as a good budget set, but if I'm paying that much I'm pretty close to the price of a pair of galaxy buds or something else. Quite confused at this point.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #18,445 of 63,016
Are they worth it @ $100AUD??? These seem to be recommended as a good budget set, but if I'm paying that much I'm pretty close to the price of a pair of galaxy buds or something else. Quite confused at this point.
In my opinion yes, they are. Amazing sound and comfort. Good app for iPhone and Android and phone calls work well. Touch controls and good build quality. But you could also read this review from @Bartig https://www.scarbir.com/tws/fiil-t1x-review

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #18,446 of 63,016
Looks like LG is dipping their toes into the TWS market with the Tone Free. Odd, I know, but I feel like it is worth posting because the Tone Free are done in collaboration with Meridian. Two hundred bucks and no ANC will surely turn people off but these could be great especially when (not if when) they drop in price. The wired earbuds that came included with my LG G8 are actually tuned very nicely and I know LG has found some success with thier around the neck style bluetooth earbuds.
zoom-09.jpg

zoom-10.jpg

I have found several terrific sounding TWS from lesser known brands, and I am always on the lookout for great sleeper sets.

Even if they have outstanding SQ, it's going to be a tough sell at the asking price especially with the plethora of excellent Chi-Fi units, speaking of which, they remind me a bit of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluephonic-SweatProof-Headphones-Bluetooth-Earphones/dp/B07W3HF448

As with a few of the Chi-Fi brands, they seem to be a generic pair given I see the exact same designs from another mfr called Headsound as well:
https://www.amazon.com/HeadSound-Headphones-SweatProof-Bluetooth-Earphones/dp/B07VJ9PXJW/

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #18,447 of 63,016
I don't know about "dumping" but the N6 has the advantage of sounding at least as good as my BT20s combos and also has sweatproofing. The are not the most attractive TWS I've seen. In fact, I pretty much hate the way the look. I really wish they had not put gold trim on them. They don't look that bad on the ears but not as slim as the BT20. Comfort seems fine. Fit is just okay. The wings are useless but they seem pretty stable. I couldn't run with them but I think light activity; walking; cardio etc. they should be okay.

I probably will be more inclined to grab these over the BT20 simply because they require less fuss and I can use them at the gym. If you are in the US and can buy on Amazon, I think they are worth giving them a try. At $162 I don't think you would be disappointed.

Good points! Why don't they have different size wings? Just watched a video with a dude skateboarding and saying the Edifier won't budge. "Pretty Stable" and "light activity" are not that confidence inspiring. Love to chase after a racquetball and basketball and would really suck to have a Nuarl fly out and scrape against the blacktop. No ANC or ambient either may just be three strikes on the Nuarl for me.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #18,448 of 63,016
Good points! Why don't they have different size wings? Just watched a video with a dude skateboarding and saying the Edifier won't budge. "Pretty Stable" and "light activity" are not that confidence inspiring. Love to chase after a racquetball and basketball and would really suck to have a Nuarl fly out and scrape against the blacktop. No ANC or ambient either may just be three strikes on the Nuarl for me.
Fit is pretty subjective so I wouldn’t base your decision on that. With respect to ANC and transparency my only comment is that at their current price, I can give them a pass but I hope they have a more full featured set in the works.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #18,449 of 63,016

Sound quality, bluetooth connection, battery life are definitely better than the galaxy buds.

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #18,450 of 63,016
These are launching soon w/the QCC5121 (which I believe the upcoming Klipsch T10 will also have due to the head gesture control feature):
https://www.mobvoi.com/us/pages/ticpods2
(note only the Pro has the 5121 which supports aptX Adaptive and TWS+, but whether it'll be implemented or not is another story...)
Not a fan of the form factor, else I'd jump on the pre-order... Any takers? :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back