Go-Vibe heads up! New version V5S
Dec 2, 2006 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
I'm barely learned enough to know the significance of this news but since I have one on the way, thought I would mention Norm has a new amp, V5S.

Includes DIP sockets for op-amp rolling and LM6171/2 op-amps, an extra set of OPA277/2277 op-amps and blue LED.

Sounds like a bonus to me. I can't wait. My first amp.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 114
Oh ***
frown.gif

Haven't even receieved mine yet as it is in the mail I think and already there is a new one - he could've let me know considering I kept on asking about whether other opamps could be put in...............I only ordered it a week or so ago too!!!!!

I'm really miffed tbh. I expected such things from IT, but not from the headphone amp world.
Xenos and portaphile have taken ages to bring new products in...same with larocco...not norm.

Dec 2, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ***
frown.gif

Haven't even receieved mine yet as it is in the mail I think and already there is a new one - he could've let me know considering I kept on asking about whether other opamps could be put in...............I only ordered it a week or so ago too!!!!!

I'm really miffed tbh. I expected such things from IT, but not from the headphone amp world.
Xenos and portaphile have taken ages to bring new products in...same with larocco...not norm.

I wouldn't be prone to airing your gripes at least until you contact Norm. So far my dealings with him have been nothing but excellent.

Afterall, there's always going to be some overlap when a new product is introduced. With a big company they can afford to "discontinue" a product and hold the new product for a while. In this case, the V5 isn't being discontinued.

Anyways, from all reports here, Norm is good guy.

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 114
So can anyone who speaks tech translate what these changes mean in layman terms? I know no one would have heard the unit, but what theoretically should be the difference(s)?

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 114
Can't you just use a soldering iron to switch out the op-amps? So, the big thing (Considering, IMO, that being able to roll op-amps should have been a standard feature) you're paying for are extra op-amps?

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just use a soldering iron to switch out the op-amps? So, the big thing (Considering, IMO, that being able to roll op-amps should have been a standard feature) you're paying for are extra op-amps?

And the OPA277 on paper is nothing special at all, even. Obviously worse than OPA2134 or OPA2227. With a 1 MHz gain bandwidth, it's not even specified for audio. The only plus seems to be the very low quiescent current (thus very high expected battery life).

Also, it isn't safe to use, say, an AD8397 on a Browndog, for the high risk of oscillation. Whereas just soldering the SMD chip on the board was much safer in this regard.

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if current GV5 users can upgrade at a small fee.

First of all, let me make it clear that the Go-Vibe V5 continues as before with the surface mount LM6171/2 op-amps. The V5S is a suplimentary model, using a different PCB which was re-engineered to allow the integration of DIP sockets for the op-amps.
Clearly, you should understand that there are two distinct PCBs here.
There are many op-amps in this category (DIP8) which can be easily rolled in to the V5S, and also many surface mount op-amps which can be mounted on Brown Dog adapters and subsequently rolled.

Having said that, I still feel the original version with the LM6171/72 surface mount op-amps offers the best possible value, sound quality wise, in most circumstances.

The V5S is not something new, merely an alternative version. Surely a positive addition for those interested in such things.

The final production boards of the V5S were delivered to me yesterday. Only after verifying the final board was it possible to make an announcement.

Quote:

And the OPA277 on paper is nothing special at all, even. Obviously worse than OPA2134 or OPA2227. With a 1 MHz gain bandwidth, it's not even specified for audio. The only plus seems to be the very low quiescent current (thus very high expected battery life).

Sorry but I disagree. Since you haven't actually heard the combo, your comments are somewhat irrelevent. Besides, the whole point, is that there are multiple possibilities here for the amp owner to experiment with, within certain parameters.
I am offering the OPA277/2277 combo as an alternative reference point to the LM6171/72, against which future Go-Vibe V5S owners can measure their chosen op-amps.
I never referred to mounting an AD8397 on a Brown Dog in the V5S.

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, it isn't safe to use, say, an AD8397 on a Browndog, for the high risk of oscillation. Whereas just soldering the SMD chip on the board was much safer in this regard.

I use an AD8397 on a Brown Dog adapter in my PR II all the time. Never had an oscillation problem. Maybe it's different with a 3-channel configuration?

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an AD8397 on a Brown Dog adapter in my PR II all the time. Never had an oscillation problem. Maybe it's different with a 3-channel configuration?

It seems to me that the oscillation issues of the AD8397 in various DIY attempts (i.e. PINT, Mini^3) are/were linked to the 3 channel configuration, indeed - and not just because when used in the ground channel too the AD8397 would work at unity gain. My experiences strenthen the impression although they can't prove it right. That aside, the PRII may well have better supply bypassing using tantalum caps etc. And finally, if I'm correct, the PRII is a buffered amp so the AD8397 in your case isn't driving a headphone load - which strongly decreases the risks of oscillation for itself.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excellent news norm!

just wondering, why does whenever the go-vibe is brought up you can count on andrea being involved?

Because he owns one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back