Go-Vibe heads up! New version V5S
Dec 20, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #106 of 114
20 hours in and the GV V5S just keeps getting richer in its presentation. While the Stooges recording I mentioned earlier was Apple Lossless, I'm knocked-out by the depth of detail it's able to retrieve even from older recordings ripped into 128 AAC on the iPod. Now playing the George Jones/Tammy Wynette duet classic "We're Not The Jet Set" and even the cheesy Billy Sherrill strings demonstrate additional texture than one might be led to expect from the customary Nashville rush-job.

Forgot to mention that I swung by my neighbor's on my way home last night and we tried the GV with his HD650s, a substantially more difficult load than my Ultrasones, KSC75/SportaPro hybrid, and PX-100. To our surprise and delight, the Go-Vibe had no problem driving the Senns whatsoever, even at fairly loud listening levels.

Well done, Norm!
280smile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #107 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20 hours in and the GV V5S just keeps getting richer in its presentation.

I don't know, I burned mine in for more than that when it still was unmodded, and it never gave a sign of turning reasonably natural/rich/colorful/emotional sounding. Perhaps it's me or my HD650 or the sum of both
tongue.gif
Then I switched chips on an impulse and suddenly...there was the music.
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #109 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or perhaps you're just one of them neurotic fussy-types, Andrea.
wink.gif

Yes you pictured me exactly -- I'm one of them neurotic fussy-musiclovers who want to dive into the soul of the music, as opposed to diving deep into a vain (but well structured
rolleyes.gif
) amass of pretty (ehm) sounds.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #111 of 114
Not to encourage certain misunderstandings, I'm not for any particular type of coloration. In fact I don't want tubes around here - I seriously dislike them in every possible way. I just want the reproduced sound to be emotional just like it is in nature - no more no less.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #112 of 114
Andrea, I am sorry you feel that way about tubes. I can only say you have never heard a good truthful tube system. I love tubes and have worked with them for years and I will be the first to admit, just like in solid-state, some systems can sound horrible but in a correctly designed and implemented tube system the sound is pure music to the 9th degree, whatever that is. I have some 1931 27 mesh plate Sylvanias that I use in my preamp that are pure magic.

I picked up some OVC T25 IEM's for 18$ here that are fanatasic sounding they are the same IEM's that people are raving about for 101$ over on the headphone section. The only thing is, is that here they have a 2.5 mini and you either use a converter or change it but for 15 to 18$ and a sound I like better than my UM2's it is such a deal. Do you have the XTRA X-1?

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #113 of 114
Yes, I know. Sorry if I have 'hurt your feelings', btw. Many Italian tube amps don't sound uncoloured. I know that tubes can sound neutral and very transparent. My dislike arised mostly from their 'impractical' nature (hotness, not so long lasting, cost of the good ones & that nasty "NOS" thing) and from that certain sense of old fashioned they give me. On the other hand, I find that those tiny tubes of the Little Dot Micro Tube are very cute
tongue.gif

I haven't received the XTRA yet. I hope that the Italian Customs haven't retained it for some ridiculous inspection (
mad.gif
) and that it'll be safe in my hands soon.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #114 of 114
Maybe the amps are made in southern Italy. My father always said southern Italians are very animated and vocally expressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back