Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Nov 7, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #497 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna
it sounds great with the K501 however i noticed that at louder volumes it tends to distort though i dont know if that's due to the 9V instead of an elpac, or the files, or the headphones - does anyone know?

-keith

Definitely it's the battery power. The LM6172's output swing and especially output current benefit highly by a high supply voltage, such as 24V.

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #498 of 536
Quote:

iit sounds great with the K501 however i noticed that at louder volumes it tends to distort though i dont know if that's due to the 9V instead of an elpac, or the files, or the headphones - does anyone know?

I've had this happen (though not with my K501s) and powering it from the Elpac did fix it.

Nov 7, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #499 of 536
Got the power supply and a Turbo Dock Diabolous (sp?) to go with.

All sounds good. No distortion as I turn it up, but I normally don't much beyond 11:00. No hiss, unless its on the track I'm listening to.

With my DT-880 (2005), I noticed a tighter sound (esp. in the bass) with the power supply vs. 9V. On a scale of 1-10, I would say the quality increase was about 2 points (from a 5 to a 7, for example).

I noticed a smaller difference going from the low-quality 1/8-1/8 interconnect with my iPod on max volume to the Turbo Dock. On the same 1-10 scale, lets say the jump was from 7 to 8. I'm sure the ALO docks might be better (the Diabolous wire seems pretty flimsy -- looks like a shoe string -- compared to the Cotton monstrosity), but the Turbo does what I need it to do.

Now I just need to decide whether I like the 880 sound.

Nov 7, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #501 of 536
I have the TURBO DIABOLOUS IV. I don't know if they are included with the "major step forward" you mentioned. It was on the same FS page on Xin's site as the Turbo Dock IV.

I bought it off of another Head-Fier for less than Turbo's price. I was looking for functionality, rather than TOP performance. If I get both, then GREAT!
tongue.gif

As mentioned, it works and does improve the sound quality slightly. Maybe more, but my non audiophile ears haven't been able to detect.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #503 of 536
hrmm and it seems the bass has the tendency to distort versus anything else...and it happens less with lossless files

hrmm - update:

plugged my cans into my mixer, and it gets much louder and does not distort - though i dont like the sound of the headphone amp in the mixer vs. the go vibe - im guessing it gets louder and doesnt clip because the mixer runs on a bunch of power (dont know how much off the top of my head)

i ended up ordering the elpac, so hopefully that'll satiate me

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #504 of 536
Quote:

hrmm and it seems the bass has the tendency to distort versus anything else...and it happens less with lossless files

hrmm - update:

plugged my cans into my mixer, and it gets much louder and does not distort - though i dont like the sound of the headphone amp in the mixer vs. the go vibe - im guessing it gets louder and doesnt clip because the mixer runs on a bunch of power (dont know how much off the top of my head)

i ended up ordering the elpac, so hopefully that'll satiate me

There's definately something amiss somewhere in your system.
Any chance of trying the amp with a simple CD player as source, either portable or home unit? Use a commercially recorded CD rather than a burned copy.

Nov 8, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #505 of 536
hey norm,

i actually dont have a CD player and wont have access to one for a while since im in college - though i noticed that it only starts to distort after 1:00 so i think it may just be a power issue since my mixer has a lot of power going through it and doesnt distort, so i think once my elpac arrives it'll be great - though usually i dont need to turn it up so high, just when i want to analyze a really quiet section of some classical piece - i usually stay between 11:00 and 12:00 and it's fine =)

however im sorta worried about ordering from newark - they charged me for two power supplies and then they charged me again for $40 for some reason - i sent them two emails about it, and hopefully it'll get sorted out - but im a bit worried - that extra $70 could have gone to something else and im really pissed about it...

oh well - live and learn!

Nov 8, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #506 of 536
Quote:

however im sorta worried about ordering from newark - they charged me for two power supplies and then they charged me again for $40 for some reason - i sent them two emails about it, and hopefully it'll get sorted out - but im a bit worried - that extra $70 could have gone to something else and im really pissed about it...

oh well - live and learn!

Don't let the Newark situation get too old. In other words, if you don't hear back today by email, call them. Their customer service # is 1-800-463-9275

Nov 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #507 of 536
You can also buy the Elpac from Allied Electronics:
http://www.alliedelec.com/

I overpaid on the shipping -- wanting it faster, but not realizing they shipped out of Fort Worth (just 3 hours from Austin). Oh well...

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #508 of 536
ahh a Newark rep just got back to me saying that the charges will drop off and they're just holds on the card to make sure i have the funds to pay it and that the actual charge is $40.48

the person also said that usually the charges are applied only once and not twice so im hoping that isn't a mistake on their part heh...

well i feel a bit better now and my elpac should arrive tomorrow so i am psyched

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #510 of 536
sweet - i am looking forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back