Go-Vibe 5: What!Mate?!
Oct 24, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #466 of 536
Gday, just wanting to check this, are you guys just depositing the money into the account as per the order page and then waiting for contact to confirm the order?

I don't doubt that Norm is a stand up guy, but I'm leery of handing over money for an order that hasn't been confirmed. In fact I just won't do it, sorry. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. I've emailed Norm and I'm sure he'll get back to me when gets a chance (I'm in Australia, different time zones and all that), but I wanted to see if that's how you guys are going about it.

Cheers,
Chris.

PS. Anyone got an opinion on how this amp stacks up against the Little Dot Micro+?

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #467 of 536
So, copying the developments of my other modding enterprise (the all too famous Xenos amp), I've changed the active ground chip in the Go-Vibe from the THS4051 to the LMH6654. While I was at it, I also doubled the power supply electrolytic caps (now: 470uF 35V + 330uF 25V, both Panasonic FM).

The amp has gained that last bit of missing naturalness. Now it's just great sounding, without patent flaws to point my finger to anymore.
600smile.gif

edit- Due to the highish Ib of the LMH6654 the DC offset has doubled, reaching 6/7 mV per channel; oh well, still not bad!

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #468 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie
i'm just wondering, i'm planning on getting this amp to pair with a pair of super.fi 3 and k81dj's so the low gain version is probably going to suit me best.

If i decide to get phones in the future that are harder to drive like some beyers or senns (580, 600, 650) will the low gain version of this amp still be able to drive these headphones at a decent level?

x2

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #469 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoochie
Gday, just wanting to check this, are you guys just depositing the money into the account as per the order page and then waiting for contact to confirm the order?

I don't doubt that Norm is a stand up guy, but I'm leery of handing over money for an order that hasn't been confirmed. In fact I just won't do it, sorry. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. I've emailed Norm and I'm sure he'll get back to me when gets a chance (I'm in Australia, different time zones and all that), but I wanted to see if that's how you guys are going about it.

This simple system has worked for a couple hundred folks so far without problems. Paypal sends you a confirmation email + I send an email confirmation when your order is received.

Of course, I can send a Paypal invoice if you prefer.

I never received your email by the way.

Quote:

i'm just wondering, i'm planning on getting this amp to pair with a pair of super.fi 3 and k81dj's so the low gain version is probably going to suit me best.

If i decide to get phones in the future that are harder to drive like some beyers or senns (580, 600, 650) will the low gain version of this amp still be able to drive these headphones at a decent level?

Quite likely, if your source has a high enough output and/or you listen at fairly low levels.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #470 of 536
Did I say great sounding? No, gorgeous!
600smile.gif

Calexico, Feast of Wire never quite sounded this good. Gorgeous album, btw, for those who shouldn't know it already.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #471 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Did I say great sounding? No, gorgeous!
600smile.gif

Calexico, Feast of Wire never quite sounded this good. Gorgeous album, btw, for those who shouldn't know it already.

So I can't keep up with everything, what is it that you moddified? I assume you are using sockets and from what I noticed before you increased the voltage?

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #472 of 536
No, no sockets. Just SMD chips on SMD pads :p

Voltage is 12 V DC, the max. safe voltage for the LMH6654 and the ideal for the AD45048 (that's a rebadged AD8397, specified for ADSL & audio instead of audio & ADSL
tongue.gif
).

My mods are summarised in my sig below. If you want more detail, drop me a PM.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #473 of 536
I PayPal'd Norm yesterday for a V5. It's my first amp of any kind. Pretty stoked.

Can't decide I'm going to wait and just use for awhile with my Grado SR-60s or plop the money down and order a pair of Beyerdynamic 880s. I'll probably do the latter.
eggosmile.gif

Still have to get an interconnect though. <OPENS WALLET AGAIN>

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #474 of 536
has anyone used the go-vibe v5 with Beyer DT770/80's? I'm trying to decide between the vibe and the xenos, with the xenos being a bit cheaper since it comes with everything in one nice little package.

deciding on an amp is even harder than deciding on a set of headphones
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #475 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
This simple system has worked for a couple hundred folks so far without problems. Paypal sends you a confirmation email + I send an email confirmation when your order is received.

I don't know why you didn't get the email, but I won't bother sending another one since you've spoken to me personally and explained the system which is what I needed before I send off bucks.

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #479 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by facboy
bit of a silly question...does the go-vibe 5 have crossfeed?

Definitely no, but that's not much of a downer. It's a no-frills amp that is very, very good at what it's supposed to do.

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #480 of 536
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine'
Definitely no, but that's not much of a downer. It's a no-frills amp that is very, very good at what it's supposed to do.

Yes, well, depending on the listener. Actually it does have a nice sense of space, if that's what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back