Glove Audio A1 jacket DAC Amp for AK120
Jul 8, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #34 of 312
  very interesting. It makes AK120 look like HM901.
I wonder how it will sound... how much do you expect us to pay for this?

Was planned to be $600 or $650? I dont' know if that's still the planned price.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #41 of 312
  http://centrance.com/store/#!/~/product/category=7071966&id=38465866

frown.gif
 ..... This product is currently out of stock. We are now taking orders for shipping in September 2014.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 312
I'd be interested to know if the dac/amp of the A1 is different (or the implementation of the dac/amp) than that of the Hifi-m8 LX - of course the sexy form factor wouldn't be there using an AK1?0 with A1 but on another hand, you would get the versatility of being able to use both ak vs ios using cck using the lx version of the Hifi-m8 (not to mention ability to use as usb dac)... Killer sound and killer versatility - all in a transportable vs portable package

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #45 of 312
From the description from Anak, it sounds different from the ZX1. And probably better (should be). If you sell the AK120, there is no other player with its memory at a lower price. Unless you get the FiiO X5.

IMO, it would not be difficult to improve upon the ZX1

I like the ZX1 as a very nicely-made and compact DAP, but the sound is not as organic as an audiophile DAP should be. The sound is too 'polished', and it lacks realism because of this. An analogy of this is that if you polish a silver teapot, it keeps it shiny and clean, but you eventually end up losing detail, as the details are smoothed away - so it's best to avoid the temptation to polish it, and instead just leave it alone. The ZX1s 'polished' sound will probably go down a storm in Japan, but to these British ears, it just doesn't sound convincing. It's the aural equivalent of the visual difference between watching a 'photo-realistic' 3D-rendered human character or an actual real human actor, in a film. They look so very, very similar, and yet... the rendered character is not completely convincing; the human brain just knows something is amiss.

Without the 'Clear Stereo' setting activated, it sounds rather average, and with 'Clear Stereo' activated, it can sound extremely unnatural with some tracks (I noticed this on Michael Jackson's 'Human Nature' - 25th Anniversary 16/44.1 flac, for example).

I do not anticipate the Glove A1 to manipulate the sound so much, in the digital domain, as the ZX1 evidently does, which is just one reason why I expect it will probably sound more convincing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back