Glass Jar Audio - Do they have high quality kit parts?
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #46 of 70
But doing all of this DIY trip is very very expensive...

I am not in a rush at all by the way, I am just overly enthusiastic. But I am realy unaware of the danger in it, I won't build it while it is on or pluged to the AC socket...

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not in a rush at all by the way, I am just overly enthusiastic. But I am realy unaware of the danger in it, I won't build it while it is on or pluged to the AC socket...

It's very difficult to test stuff when it isn't plugged in and on...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #48 of 70
You should seriously consider Beefy's advice. Take it slow, build a few things and you'll learn to appreciate what DIY is all about. And you'll usually be able to get what you paid for in parts back if you decide to sell anything you have built along the way, to finance the next project. There is a very active market for well built DIY amps, DACs etc..

No offense, but you attitude seems to be a symptom of our current culture of instant gratification.. We want the BEST and we want it NOW.. skipping all the baby steps.

Consider it the "Wisdom of the Elders" Think about the accumulated years of DIY experience you have here giving you advice.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

That is the thing. Building a B22 != Cheap. If you think building and learning on a B22 is cheaper than building something smaller then building the B22 then you are most likely mistaken. Also after building a few less expensive amps you may learn that you do not need the B22.

Blowing up a $30 cmoy is much easier on the wallet than blowing up a B22.

The idea that you will assemble all of the parts involved in a B22 correctly on the first go round is unrealistic.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Of course you won't build it while it's plugged in, that goes without saying, but there are so many ways for things to go wrong, instantly when you turn the power on to test it for the first time.. And that, my friend, is the ONLY way to test it.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very difficult to test stuff when it isn't plugged in and on...
rolleyes.gif

Oh...Understood.

If you say that there are people who will buy the amps I buy than I will do it.
What amps are the most wanted? M^3? cmoy? y1? AlienDAC? etc.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #52 of 70
Oh and if you think people hear are being "Elistists" telling you that you can not build a B22, that is not true. Most of us just do not want your first DIY experience to be a horrible experience. Trust me if you spend the money on a B22 build and get nothing but an unusable pile of parts at the end it will be a horrible experience.

DIY is not about getting something cheaper, but about getting exactly what you want the way you want it and the enjoyment of doing it.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

Oh...Understood.

What amps are the most wanted? M^3? cmoy? y1? AlienDAC? etc.

First off - y1 and AlienDAC are not amps
wink.gif

If I were you I would build a simple cmoy first, that should cost you hardly anything. Heck a cheap solder iron is more expensive. KEEP this one no point in selling your FIRST
wink.gif

Then maybe build a more complex parts wise build like the y1 DAC, this item you probably will not want to sell either because you will then upgrade it to a y2 DAC which would be a perfect match for that B22 you will build next
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you are speaking of the M4, which is your own design, I would suggest that it is rather uncouth of you to boast about it. Rather you should let the design speak for itself and let others do the boasting once more people have heard it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool design, but you are going to raise some back hair talking like that..

Settle down, tiger. Jacob is probably talking about the DynaFET, or perhaps the DIY Stax SRM-T2.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Yes, it is. Have you considered the cost of tools like flush cutters and pliers? General Supplies like solder and wire? Solder sucker?

Honestly, if you have any notion that a once-off DIY project is a fast way to a cheap amp you are sorely mistaken.

Quote:

Wrong way to think. As I said, you have to assume that any money you spend is going to completely disappear.

DIY is NOT a means to get a cheap amp. It is a hobby and a pass time; a way to build something custom that you would be otherwise unable to buy.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #56 of 70
So I guess I will go for the cmoy and the y1 which will be upgraded to y2 and only then beta22+sigma22...

What do you say now?

BTW, where can I find ALL the parts needed for the y2? All the y1's parts plus this: AMB audio shop [go to y2 section] ?

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is. Have you considered the cost of tools like flush cutters and pliers? General Supplies like solder and wire? Solder sucker?

Honestly, if you have any notion that a once-off DIY project is a fast way to a cheap amp you are sorely mistaken.

Wrong way to think. As I said, you have to assume that any money you spend is going to completely disappear.

DIY is NOT a means to get a cheap amp. It is a hobby and a pass time; a way to build something custom that you would be otherwise unable to buy.

I already have all this stuffs from my father. He used to do lot of DIY in the past but I wanna do those by my own.

Oh, and the rear and front panels for the y2 from AMB already drilled and engraved like in the picture they show or not? they say it is pre-engraved and drilled and still cost 48$...
And from where can I get the rest of the box???

And, so you won't think otherwise, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! I realy appreciate all of this great help which I guess I can have only on Head-Fi. Realy thank you guys!

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

I already have all this stuffs from my father. He used to do lot of DIY in the past but I wanna do those by my own.

Oh, and the rear and front panels for the y2 from AMB already drilled and engraved like in the picture they show or not? they say it is pre-engraved and drilled and still cost 48$...
And from where can I get the rest of the box???

And, so you won't think otherwise, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! I realy appreciate all of this great help which I guess I can have only on Head-Fi. Realy thank you guys!

Ok AMB has very well detailed parts list with even part numbers for the common places to get the items. You being in Israel may complicate matters as to the best location to order from. Sometimes you can not find all of the items in one location.
Are you saying $48 is a lot for the drilled panels? If so, you will be shocked at how much people spend casing a B22. Custom work such as the y2 panels is pricey, however if you have the tools to do the drilling yourself you can save some money that way.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you are speaking of the M4, which is your own design, I would suggest that it is rather uncouth of you to boast about it. Rather you should let the design speak for itself and let others do the boasting once more people have heard it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool design, but you are going to raise some back hair talking like that..

you really think the beta22 is the most complicated DIY project in existance? What about DIY nuclear reactors? or, DIY CNC machines? or even the beta24?

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you really think the beta22 is the most complicated DIY project in existance? What about DIY nuclear reactors? or, DIY CNC machines? or even the beta24?

Well, if this was NuclearReacterfi or CNCfi, then maybe you have a point.. but we are on "HeadFi" after all ..
wink_face.gif

you got me on the Beta24 though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back