Glass Jar Audio - Do they have high quality kit parts?
Oct 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

pila405

500+ Head-Fier
Hey,

Does Glass Jar Audio kit's parts are from high quality? Is it worth to buy from them or should I buy from Mouser? From which I can have higher quality parts and lower price?

Thanks in advance,
Oren.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 70
The kits available from jeff use high quality parts, most of them are the recommended parts by the designers of the amplifiers.

I find it cheaper to order stuff from him as you save on shipping costs since you only have to order from him and not from various places.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From which I can have higher quality parts and lower price?

well, you didn't mention quantity. If you are willing to buy each part in the 1000 quantity range, I think you can probably get higher quality parts and lower price from Mouser, compared to Glass Jar Audio.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 70
I didn't understand...Which one have higher quality parts? Does Glass Jar Audio puts reserves on their kits? I am not about to buy huge quantities, only the needed plus some reserves.

BTW - where can I buy the ε22 / epsilon22 ? The ε22 Amplifier Backplane Board

Does Glass Jar Audio ships worldwide?

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 70
I don't think that there are reserves in the glass jar kits. Glass jar buys the parts recommended by the amp designers. If you want boutique caps and the such, they don't do that, but they use quality parts. They do ship worldwide, you just have to email jeff.

As far as the Epsilon, you can't get them anymore. There was a group buy recently but it is over, so not much luck there. You can always post a WTB on the FS forum, and maybe you'll get lucky.

As far as the whole project is concerned, make sure that you are ready to do this. I don't know your level of experienct, but it is neither an easy nor forgiving project for inexperienced DIYers. Read some or all of the threads here and on Headwize and read and re read the amb.org page on the project.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 70
I read everything. Why do say it is "neither an easy nor forgiving for inexperienced DIYers?

BTW - If I buy the kit, on which type would you recommend me [Using single ended headphones such as K701/HD800/HD600 etc..], Gain x2/x5/x8/x11?

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

I read everything. Why do say it is "neither an easy nor forgiving for inexperienced DIYers?

BTW - If I buy the kit, on which type would you recommend me [Using single ended headphones such as K701/HD800/HD600 etc..], Gain x2/x5/x8/x11?

Well, there are a LOT of parts. It is the most sophisticated DIY amp in existence, and the more parts you have to deal with, the more opportunities you have to make a mistake, put something in backwards, and destroy a lot of parts in the process. Then it becomes a troubleshooting process, which can take a lot of time, patience, and money, buying replacement parts.

If this is your first attempt at DIY, I'd say set your sights lower and work your way up.

You might want to try a Soha II(Jeff sells the boards, and probably sells kits for them too) or a Millet Hybrid Maxed kit that Jeff also sells..
There is also the Starving Student which is a good starting system (a step above the cmoy's of the world). Even an M3 or PPA V2 would be better.. but there are no kits for them that I know of.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 70
I wasn't implying that you hadn't read thoroughly, but sometimes people jump into this project without having any idea of what they are doing. It is just a lot of parts, instructions, wires, etc. to keep track of. If you haven't dealt with building before it would be easy to get mixed up or solder incorrectly etc.

As far as gain, I would say probably 5, maybe 8. The thing is that the difference between a gain of 5 and one of 8 is, if I am calculating correctly in my head, about 4 dB.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 70
It is indeed my first DIY, but I think I can do it, the instructions are very details and I have tons of pic. of others' B22. I realy want this amp and don't have extra money for another DIY....

I will do it very slowly and patiently, reading everything 3 times before doing and making sure everything is clear and right.

I hope it will go smoothly.

So - I think I will go for 2 gain x8 PCBs with one active ground PCB from Glass Jar.

Thank you very much guys for all the help and answers!

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

It is indeed my first DIY, but I think I can do it, the instructions are very details and I have tons of pic. of others' B22. I realy want this amp and don't have extra money for another DIY....

I will do it very slowly and patiently, reading everything 3 times before doing and making sure everything is clear and right.

...... sorry, but I'm not optimistic. You should REALLY consider something less involved for your first build.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Are you even taking into consideration what it will cost case it up? If you want one of the showcase builds it will cost as much as the rest of the parts.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you even taking into consideration what it will cost case it up? If you want one of the showcase builds it will cost as much as the rest of the parts.

True, and there is also the time involved in casing. If you want a nice case, that can take longer than the build itself.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, and there is also the time involved in casing. If you want a nice case, that can take longer than the build itself.

The case I'm having made for mine and the machining involved in it (because the face and rear plates are entirely custom) will cost almost as much as the parts and I'm doing a mega build. Labor not even being mentioned, the chassis will cost about $1000 and the parts for the build about $2000-$2500.

I didn't go the Glass Jar route. All board parts come from AMB, Mouser and Digi-Key. Transformers are being custom made by Plitron (if they start getting their crap together), remote control motorized volume drive by Bent Audio, attenuator by DACT, switch by Elma, custom relay and passive I/V network by the builder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back