Glass Jar Audio - Do they have high quality kit parts?
Oct 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If something does break, or fry, or not work, are you willing to accept that the whole amount of money you spend on this project could be a complete waste?

or at least accept the amount of time you'll have to spend posting here to get someone to troubleshoot it for you. wait... heh.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 70
For a cheap multimeter that will get you through a build or two:
Tools at Beezar
Buy two, as they are almost as cheap as the included batteries (both cost and longevity) but handy to have.

I have a slightly different opinion on tackling a B22 as a first or second project. If you can identify components and their orientation, know basically what components do, are organized, and can neatly solder you probably can pull it off. I would consider those to be the absolute minimum qualifications though, so no fudging with self assessment. The B22 is a large project but is only intermediate difficulty because of the exceptional documentation, support, and that the board is well laid out and not too crowded. There are quite a few amp projects I'd consider more daunting than assembling a working B22.

It is an expensive build though and newcomers overwhelming underestimate the total costs based on the Glass Jar kit prices.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a slightly different opinion on tackling a B22 as a first or second project. If you can identify components and their orientation, know basically what components do, are organized, and can neatly solder you probably can pull it off. I would consider those to be the absolute minimum qualifications though, so no fudging with self assessment. The B22 is a large project but is only intermediate difficulty because of the exceptional documentation, support, and that the board is well laid out and not too crowded. There are quite a few amp projects I'd consider more daunting than assembling a working B22.

It is an expensive build though and newcomers overwhelming underestimate the total costs based on the Glass Jar kit prices.

x2. i've built more difficult projects, but de-soldering/re-soldering TO-92 packages can be a total PITA. it only takes one slip of a meter probe and poof, there goes a board. i wouldn't personally attempt this as my first, second, or third build...but i guess the sigma22 could be considered a good first build.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or at least accept the amount of time you'll have to spend posting here to get someone to troubleshoot it for you. wait... heh.

Here and elsewhere. Let's just say, when it comes to (so called) DIY, dignity is overrated.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #35 of 70
So I will start with the Sigma22 and then will move on to the Beta22 using the Enigma [I have source for this!].

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me sigma22 is not a good beginner projet since you'll have to work with 115VAC which will easily kill you.

Depends on your views of Darwin I guess.
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 70
I don't want to discourage someone getting into DIY, but unless you have a background in this and some experience, I would NOT start with anything as complicated as this (especially considering the line voltage). Have you considered maybe starting with a headphone amplifier, like an M3 or PPAv2?

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #40 of 70
I think you all are just too pessimistics. :p

Why should I kill my self? I am realy sorry for the so newby question, but how exacly I suppose to do this? [Would like to see very informative instructions]

And now seriously, if it is THAT HARD, can someone build both for me using JGA parts and I will pay [ofcourse]. If it is possible to build only the boards and I will case it will be perfect. PM offers pleasea, or post here.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you all are just too pessimistics. :p

Why should I kill my self? I am realy sorry for the so newby question, but how exacly I suppose to do this? [Would like to see very informative instructions]

Well building a PSU will require you to work with Main AC power. In the U.S. that is 115V which can kill you. Israel uses 230V so the possibility of killing yourself is made more efficient.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And now seriously, if it is THAT HARD, can someone build both for me using JGA parts and I will pay [ofcourse]. If it is possible to build only the boards and I will case it will be perfect. PM offers pleasea, or post here.

Stuffing the boards is the easy part. Testing it, debugging, and casing it are the hard parts.

Why not take our advice and start smaller?

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #43 of 70
We're pessimistic because we've seen it all before. And between all your threads, you're checking all the boxes.

Overly enthusiastic, and in a rush? Check.
Specifically wanting a reference system on a budget? Check.
Unaware of the dangers of mains electricity? Check.
No DIY skills at all? Check.

Recipe for disaster. There is a strong possibility of you ending up with a non-functional amp, and a very slim but very real possibility that you will end up dead. And the key factor you don't want to listen to is that there are no instructions that can substitute for experience.

Start with a simple project like a CMOY. Move onto a CKKIII, Millett Max, MMM, whatever. Build a Bantam or y1 DAC. THEN consider the flagship reference amplifier and DAC. You will enjoy it more, learn more, and be less likely to *cue overly dramatic music* die.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by j4cbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not anymore
wink.gif

Well, if you are speaking of the M4, which is your own design, I would suggest that it is rather uncouth of you to boast about it. Rather you should let the design speak for itself and let others do the boasting once more people have heard it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool design, but you are going to raise some back hair talking like that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back