Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Jan 19, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #618 of 739
Hey Justin,

Received and thanks !

A picture is worth a thousand words 🥳🥳.

Too early to say on improvement to the Gilmore Lite MK2 and hooked up as preamp in place of the usual Audible Illusion L3A and Audio Valve Eclipse on loan to let it run 24/7 for a few days to monitor.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi,

I disgressing but an update on mods of local Singtel miotv cable box with red leds to no-prize-given correct answer of blue leds finally after some investment with spare units and initial scare but all fixed 🥰

Cheers.

Richard
IMG-20210120-WA0017.jpeg
20210120_100106.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #619 of 739
Just got the GRPS, and have to say it's quite a difference! Wanted to just post a few of my (very subjective!) impressions.

It's been on less than 24 hours so far, but I immediately heard a big difference in detail, accross the spectrum, and much more air. Because of that detail and clarity, layering and separation (which were already great) seem much better, and the stage seems deeper and slightly wider as well.

I have to say though, at least initially, that the HD600's and Ananda's sound a tad brighter and thinner than I'm used to, though the bass is oh so delicious!! I think as a result of the extra air on top, the "meatiness" of the sound is somewhat compromised, which is what originally drew me to the mk2. I realize now (switching back and forth between stock PS and GRPS) that meatiness I was perceiving was, in part, caused by a lack of detail. So, there's no going back now!

Thinking of trying the Elna cap mod to the mk2 to get some of that thickness back. Or maybe my ears will adjust over time and the GRPS will settle in a bit more. I'll keep listening and see if things change in the coming days!

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #620 of 739
Just got the GRPS, and have to say it's quite a difference! Wanted to just post a few of my (very subjective!) impressions.

It's been on less than 24 hours so far, but I immediately heard a big difference in detail, accross the spectrum, and much more air. Because of that detail and clarity, layering and separation (which were already great) seem much better, and the stage seems deeper and slightly wider as well.

I have to say though, at least initially, that the HD600's and Ananda's sound a tad brighter and thinner than I'm used to, though the bass is oh so delicious!! I think as a result of the extra air on top, the "meatiness" of the sound is somewhat compromised, which is what originally drew me to the mk2. I realize now (switching back and forth between stock PS and GRPS) that meatiness I was perceiving was, in part, caused by a lack of detail. So, there's no going back now!

Thinking of trying the Elna cap mod to the mk2 to get some of that thickness back. Or maybe my ears will adjust over time and the GRPS will settle in a bit more. I'll keep listening and see if things change in the coming days!
I felt the same way after finally getting to try out my LCDs with the mk2. While compared to my Argons they were already brighter, the additional detail provided by the amp has made them apparently even more so. But I don’t mind one bit! Vocalists have never sounded so buttery...

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #621 of 739
Ok, now 2 full days in, and no more reservations about this amp. Sense of space and layering is absolutely mezmerizing, and totaly worth it to have that little extra treble energy.

Paired with a Bifrost 2 and Ananda right now, and the sound is wide open and HUGE. Major orchestral works are especially a treat, micro- and macro-dynamics are easily discernable, pinpoint imaging, tons of detail. This does what I expect from a solid state; it stays true to the source while presenting what was recorded in the most life-like, engaging way.

One question for all you GRPS owners...when the GRPS is plugged in without the mk2 turned on, there is a high-pitched buzzing noise coming from the unit. But as soon as the amp is switched on, it completely goes away. Has anyone else found this? Just a minor annoyance.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #622 of 739
EDIT: NVM heard back from Justin

Loving the match with my ZMF Atticus.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #623 of 739
One question for all you GRPS owners...when the GRPS is plugged in without the mk2 turned on, there is a high-pitched buzzing noise coming from the unit. But as soon as the amp is switched on, it completely goes away. Has anyone else found this? Just a minor annoyance.

No, I don't have the noise you describe with the amp switched off.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #624 of 739
No, I don't have the noise you describe with the amp switched off.
Thanks. I guess I'll get in touch with Justin and see what he says. The subtle high pitch emitted from it is really pretty annoying...

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #626 of 739
How hot do your guys' amps get after extended periods of being on?
Mine gets pretty warm. I wouldn't say hot. On an already hot day, I'd say it can heat up pretty well, but on a cold day like today it's a nice hand warmer. I never find it to be like an Asgard 2 for example. Would take a very, very long time to cook an egg on it :sweat_smile:

May 22, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #627 of 739
Question from potential future new/used buyer.. other than aesthetics differences, are there any differences between earlier/later models of MK2? (based on serial number)

Thanks!

May 22, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #628 of 739
Mine gets pretty warm. I wouldn't say hot. On an already hot day, I'd say it can heat up pretty well, but on a cold day like today it's a nice hand warmer. I never find it to be like an Asgard 2 for example. Would take a very, very long time to cook an egg on it :sweat_smile:

Can confirm. Own Asgard 2 and mk2, the Asgard 2 gets like 3 times hotter.

May 22, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #629 of 739
Question from potential future new/used buyer.. other than aesthetics differences, are there any differences between earlier/later models of MK2? (based on serial number)

Thanks!

as a dealer I am not aware of any running changes on the MK2 version. If your question directly relates to buying one used you should be ok if the seller is reputable. You of course would only have whatever warranty remains on it if any.
Good hunting!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 22, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #630 of 739

Thanks!

Not sure serial #s but later batches are shipped with universal switching psu compared to dedicated input voltage ones that are supposedly better at least in theory ?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back