Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #601 of 740
Also, my finger is on the trigger for one of these guys but I'm a bit confused as to where this amp stands sound wise. Many in this thread have described it as a warm(er) amp with some tube-like qualities (especially after it's been modded) but elsewhere it's simply a "wire with gain". So does this thing color the sound or not?

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #602 of 740
Also, my finger is on the trigger for one of these guys but I'm a bit confused as to where this amp stands sound wise. Many in this thread have described it as a warm(er) amp with some tube-like qualities (especially after it's been modded) but elsewhere it's simply a "wire with gain". So does this thing color the sound or not?
LOL yeah, there are a lot of contrasting opinions on this thing. I think it'll really just sound different depending on where you're coming from.

I personally hear a little extra thump in the bass and some roll-off at the top of the FR (the measurements in ASR show this), and yet it somehow portays the music realistically at the same time. Compared to a tube amp, it's not as meaty, expansive, or smooth, but compared to some other solid states I've tried, it adds a kick and real engagement to the sound, along with a smooth, yet detailed, treble.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #603 of 740

The mk2 doesn't sound as warm as my Asgard 2 sitting in my closet right now, but its warmer then my SMSL SP200 which doesn't sound bright to me just very clear and controlled with a LOT more power on tap.

The thing with reading people opinions in the community is you will get wildly different and contradictory things.

For example a lot of people say the Schiit Modi Multibit sounds natural, too me its way too dark for a DAC.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #604 of 740

I would not call it a warm amp...but its not clinical either. The GLMK2 is a natural sounding amp that does not really impart any flavor into the music, it just amplifies the songs cleanly. The mod does add a bit more body to the character of the amp. To me the extra body is a fullness/richness that mimicks what tubes can do, but I would not think of it as a tube amp sound.

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #607 of 740
I am so new, I haven't figured out how to search the forums to find what I need either. Can someone link me the information on detail of the cap mod I've seen floating around?

Thanks

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #608 of 740
Interesting measurements. I'm not surprised by the treble roll-off in the FR, but I would have expected to see more bass in the measurements. Maybe some of the distortion accounts for that? I'd be curious to see how the measurements change with the new GRPS.

I've never commented publicly on anything ASR related, because I don't really care about it, but the entire thing is and has been for years just a way for people to validate their purchases of less expensive equipment. It's lazy comparison for lazy shoppers, and there's a big market for that. Yes, we're missing out on the tens of thousands of $99-199 chi-fi sales and trading it for mere hundreds of high-end sales, but I'm ok with that.

We've never designed or built anything for the purpose of having purely the lowest THD. That requires using specific chips only. Since it already exists it would be a waste of our time, so we build the designs we like. A discrete design is never going to do as well on those tests. Middle of the pack for a discrete design is actually quite good if you're just looking at bar graphs. There is also an issue where tube amps will be praised for 3% THD but solid state amps with fractional THD and attractive harmonics is somehow bad. it makes no sense

However, I would guarantee on the case of SNR, that many of the amps that are 'measuring lower noise' will not actually have real-world lower noise if you plugged a sensitive IEM into each one of them and listened to the background

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 10, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #609 of 740
I've never commented publicly on anything ASR related, because I don't really care about it, but the entire thing is and has been for years just a way for people to validate their purchases of less expensive equipment. It's lazy comparison for lazy shoppers, and there's a big market for that. Yes, we're missing out on the tens of thousands of $99-199 chi-fi sales and trading it for mere hundreds of high-end sales, but I'm ok with that.

We've never designed or built anything for the purpose of having purely the lowest THD. That requires using specific chips only. Since it already exists it would be a waste of our time, so we build the designs we like. A discrete design is never going to do as well on those tests. Middle of the pack for a discrete design is actually quite good if you're just looking at bar graphs. There is also an issue where tube amps will be praised for 3% THD but solid state amps with fractional THD and attractive harmonics is somehow bad. it makes no sense

However, I would guarantee on the case of SNR, that many of the amps that are 'measuring lower noise' will not actually have real-world lower noise if you plugged a sensitive IEM into each one of them and listened to the background
Love this. Before coming to the Gilmore Lite mk2, I was using a Topping E30 and JDS Labs Atom, two of the best "measuring" pieces out there. Needless to say a Bifrost 2 and Gilmore Lite mk2 are worlds better in every way. I'd take a descrete design over a chip-based implementation every time.

Thanks Justin, for keeping it to the sound and not to the measurements!

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #610 of 740
Second this. I cannot believe all the hype I fell for this past year before finding the glite. I have had nothing but an awesome experience with it. Im running with a schiit modi 3 multibit and its got to be hands down the best setup I've ever heard on all of my headphones.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #611 of 740
Got a GL + GRPS in the mail today. Putting it through its paces but absolutely blown away so far. Currently doing A/B with my Liquid Spark, and while I’m not the person to be asking about sonic differences what I can say is that this thing just has so much more SOUND. Incredible! Listening through my T60 Argons, amp is being fed by Modi 3+.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #612 of 740
Got a GL + GRPS in the mail today. Putting it through its paces but absolutely blown away so far. Currently doing A/B with my Liquid Spark, and while I’m not the person to be asking about sonic differences what I can say is that this thing just has so much more SOUND. Incredible! Listening through my T60 Argons, amp is being fed by Modi 3+.
Congrats! I just got shipping notification for my GRPS yesterday. Took a little longer because I wanted a matching amber LED. So excited for the upgrade!

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #614 of 740
There does seem to be popping whenever I turn it on. Is that normal?
Yeah when headphones are plugged in (or speakers with line out) and then I turn the amp on, there is a slight popping sound. I just turn the amp on without headphones plugged in and problem solved. Didn't find it to be much of a problem anyway :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #615 of 740
Yeah when headphones are plugged in (or speakers with line out) and then I turn the amp on, there is a slight popping sound. I just turn the amp on without headphones plugged in and problem solved. Didn't find it to be much of a problem anyway :)
Yeah I figured that is the best way to go about it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back