Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
May 6, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #166 of 739
Been busy with work Jason. The Gilmore Lite really do sound great though for the price. You should grab one!

To those who want a dedicated and regulated PSU that will work with the Gilmore Lite, you should search for a Headroom DPS unit. I confirmed this with Justin and the DPS will work fine and provide better performances than the stock brick power supply. Your will hear blacker background and able to hear deeper into the soundstage while the Lite will sound a little more relaxed and slightly more textured. The supplied brick power supply is the essential same model that Headroom used with their desktop amp in the past.

lol I was pulling your chain. TSAV is a Dealer for HeadAmp

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 6, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #167 of 739
May 9, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #168 of 739
I think I'll pick one up once the dust settles and I have my main amp operating correctly with my main DAC. This sounds like a good amp with which to test amps (sound signature being uncolored and two single-ended inputs). :)

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #169 of 739
sorry if that has been asked but for the gilmore lite mk2 is the 1.5w rated drive power at 16ohm or 32ohm?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #170 of 739
Hello everyone,

Does gilmore lite mk2 match a pair of Sennheiser HD600? Thanks.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #171 of 739
@Adu the Gilmore Lite works quite well with the HD600/HD650 series of headphones. Soundstage is good. Bass is deep and fast.

My concern, a personal concern, is I preferred the HD650 versus the HD580/HD600 through the Gilmore. Not to say it does not play well with all the variants - it does. But it is transparent to the source and the headphones you plan to use. And though I read I few of your posts in the Yarland P100 thread, I have not a clue what your signature preferences are. Gilmore Lite is not going to sound like a tube amplifier, but it will play through the HD600 just fine.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #172 of 739
@Adu the Gilmore Lite works quite well with the HD600/HD650 series of headphones. Soundstage is good. Bass is deep and fast.

My concern, a personal concern, is I preferred the HD650 versus the HD580/HD600 through the Gilmore. Not to say it does not play well with all the variants - it does. But it is transparent to the source and the headphones you plan to use. And though I read I few of your posts in the Yarland P100 thread, I have not a clue what your signature preferences are. Gilmore Lite is not going to sound like a tube amplifier, but it will play through the HD600 just fine.

Thank you for your fast answer @sheldaze , I wish a neutral sound signature and more dynamics to my HD600.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #173 of 739

Thanks for this. As an owner of both HD600/HD650, I can imagine exactly what you mean regarding the HD600 not pairing well with this, without having heard the Gilmore Lite. Have you tried it with the Utopia, by chance? Is this too fatiguing or a good pairing? I am looking for a transparent alternative to the ZDS at some point in the future. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #174 of 739
Thanks for this. As an owner of both HD600/HD650, I can imagine exactly what you mean regarding the HD600 not pairing well with this, without having heard the Gilmore Lite. Have you tried it with the Utopia, by chance? Is this too fatiguing or a good pairing? I am looking for a transparent alternative to the ZDS at some point in the future. Thanks!
I did not. It was a borrowed setup, which I probably should have tried the Utopia.

But here's what I typically do - with a new setup, I use my modified HD650 and HD580 for a short while. This kind of tells me which way the amplifier leans, if that makes sense? There's a lot of personal preference and bias (and sometimes I get it wrong). But what I heard sounded quite dynamic, fast through the HD650. I would be less concerned about fatigue from brightness (I would call the Gilmore Lite transparent but not bright) and more concerned with fatigue from the dynamic volume swing. A very snappy amplifier and a very snappy headphone...I did not think it would work, so I did not try it with the Utopia.

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #175 of 739
speaking of power supply, what about the Aune XP1?
https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/in...ck.html?___store=auneeng&___from_store=aunenl

anyway, im loving the combination of gilmore lite mk2 with audeze lcd2c :)
however, there's a pop sound from the headphones whenever i switch the amp on or off. should i be concern with it or is this normal? or should i disconnect the headphone cable from the amp before switching the amp on/off?

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #176 of 739
Popping in to say been checking out the Gilmore lite & dang, what a real treat / surprise in combo with my Oppo PM3's.
It seems to add a bit in the top extension and a hair in the bottom, with plenty of power to spare of course. Along with PM3's lovely mids, pretty darn sweet.

Considering other synergetic options now.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #178 of 739
Fo

My Audio-GD NFB 28.38 with the ESS9038Pro chip DAC also has no harshness with the Gilmore Lite Mk 2. ESS must have resolved the harshness issue after all the talk & debate about it from the ESS9018 & 9028 based DACs.

I think an interesting question is what is the best value R2R dac to pair with the Gilmore Lite Mk 2 to make a fantastic system? There are multiple lower priced R2R offering now. Audio GD R2R 11 / R2R 1 / R2R 2, Schiit Mimby / Bimby, Seokris DAC1321, Denafrips Ares.

Just ordered the Gilmore Lite Mk 2 to pair with my Audio GD R2R 11 dac. Hopefully it turns out to be a great combo and I’ll post some updates once it’s delivered.

When using the Audio GD R2R 11 amp with my HD700, HD6XX, and HE-500, I always felt like something was missing in the sound. I was always looking for more dynamics/clarity in the music. Plus the R2R 11 amp seems to have a high noise floor, every headphone I try is either extremely loud at normal volumes or no dynamics at low volumes. Hopefully pairing the Gilmore lite will solve these issues.

I was also looking into the Audio GD C-2 amp, but it would take up my entire desk space haha.

I’ll post some impressions once I receive my Gilmore Lite Mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back