Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Apr 1, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #151 of 739
I listen to everything except modern country (rock, metal, jazz, classical, old time music). I like the heft and slam of the Gilmore. The m9xx is a bit soft in macro in comparison. I thought the m9xx is a fine amp and the build is terrific. It just doesn't compare as favorably as the Gilmore .

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #152 of 739
this or Cavalli Liquid Carbon Amp....
i will pair it with AFO
i tend to purchase between these two..

but still looking for other people idea

I currently own the Gilmore Lite MK2 and the Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X. I previously owned and sold the AFO prior to owning either amp. I also have not had much time to listen to the Massdrop liquid carbon.

I would recommend the Gilmore Lite MK2 for the AFO for the following reasons:
1) the AFO are not very difficult to drive. Both amps will drive it easily. The AFO may even get too loud too quickly on the Liquid Carbon.
2) The neutrality of the Gilmore Lite MK2 will not make the already very warm AFO too warm. I personally weight this point the most in my opinion. The AFO ultimately were too warm for my tastes with too small a soundstage. I sold and purchased a used set of Ether Flow Opens which aligned more with my preferences.
3) the clarity and transparency of the Gilmore Lite MK2 is great. I’m not knocking the Liquid Carbon. It just didn’t grab my attention the 1st time I listened to it like the Gilmore Lite MK2.

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #154 of 739
I currently own the Gilmore Lite MK2 and the Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X. I previously owned and sold the AFO prior to owning either amp. I also have not had much time to listen to the Massdrop liquid carbon.

I would recommend the Gilmore Lite MK2 for the AFO for the following reasons:
1) the AFO are not very difficult to drive. Both amps will drive it easily. The AFO may even get too loud too quickly on the Liquid Carbon.
2) The neutrality of the Gilmore Lite MK2 will not make the already very warm AFO too warm. I personally weight this point the most in my opinion. The AFO ultimately were too warm for my tastes with too small a soundstage. I sold and purchased a used set of Ether Flow Opens which aligned more with my preferences.
3) the clarity and transparency of the Gilmore Lite MK2 is great. I’m not knocking the Liquid Carbon. It just didn’t grab my attention the 1st time I listened to it like the Gilmore Lite MK2.
much appreciate sir for your review..
i guess i will go for gillmore then..
a little regret, 2 days ago i came to audio event in jakarta to play with this amp in front of mr,dan.. (and asked him for sign my AFO box unit)
but i didnt ask about this amp since AFO take my attention..
the last time i bought an amp.. was portable amp from vorzuge.. pure 2+
hope this will be better than latter :D:D

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #160 of 739
A lot to be excited about the new Gilmore Lite MKII. This amp is high quality through and through and should be a prime candidate for those who are looking for a high quality headphones amplifier for work or just a highly transparent solid state amplifier general. Highly recommended. I personally would get this over Massdrop Liquid Carbon X despite a higher asking price. This is due to higher grade parts, build quality, and a proven highly refined discrete audio circuit. This amp is basically a single-end GSX MKII (SuSy Dynalo MKII) with a high quality switching power supply. I hope Justin will release a dedicated PSU to go along with it. I hope folks understand what a great amp this is.

I’m sold! Can I get one from you :ksc75smile: Cheers buddy! :beerchug: How’ve you been?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 5, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #162 of 739
The discussion about the new Gilmore Lite Mk 2 power supply has me wondering a few things. The stock power supply brick is a linear power supply. Will the new power supply just be a similar power supply in a form factor / chassis that matches the amp? Or is the intent that it will be an improvement over the stock power supply?

May 6, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #163 of 739
I’m sold! Can I get one from you :ksc75smile: Cheers buddy! :beerchug: How’ve you been?
Been busy with work Jason. The Gilmore Lite really do sound great though for the price. You should grab one!

To those who want a dedicated and regulated PSU that will work with the Gilmore Lite, you should search for a Headroom DPS unit. I confirmed this with Justin and the DPS will work fine and provide better performances than the stock brick power supply. Your will hear blacker background and able to hear deeper into the soundstage while the Lite will sound a little more relaxed and slightly more textured. The supplied brick power supply is the essential same model that Headroom used with their desktop amp in the past.

May 6, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #164 of 739
Been eyeing this amp for quite a while. Heard it at CanJamNYC, thought it sounds really good but haven't had a chance to compare it directly to RNHP which I own.

It'll be an interesting comparison if anyone owns both: considering that both retails for $500, are similarly powerful and even have similar footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back