Gift for a friend [-$50 range]
Jul 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #17 of 34
Hey, I was just saying you need to do your research before you drop a couple Hamiltons on some headphones. I personally look at Head-Fi reviews, then maybe Newegg, then Amazon, then whatever else I can find. And almost everyone says the Maxells' build quality is cheap. And the original question was a good set that are 50 bucks. You won't get anybody on this forum to say that 50 dollar headphones are *good* per say, but you can still find some decent ones. If she likes the ones you already have, then just get her those, if thy are god in her opinion.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 34

Quote:
Hey, I was just saying you need to do your research before you drop a couple Hamiltons on some headphones. I personally look at Head-Fi reviews, then maybe Newegg, then Amazon, then whatever else I can find. And almost everyone says the Maxells' build quality is cheap. And the original question was a good set that are 50 bucks. You won't get anybody on this forum to say that 50 dollar headphones are *good* per say, but you can still find some decent ones. If she likes the ones you already have, then just get her those, if thy are god in her opinion.

That's not true at all.  I can say for absolute certain that the Superlux HD668bs are legitimately GOOD headphones, they hold their own against a number of more prominent phones in my collection.  Given my personal preferences and tastes, I would absolutely take those over a $350 pair of beats (but I am not about the ultra-forward, hyper-aggressive, "bass for your face" approach to sound and music, so to each their own).  Point is, if you know what you're looking for, you can find excellent phones at nearly any price.  It's sort of like wine that way.  Yes, the best wine you can buy for 20 bucks is not going to be as good as the best wine you can buy for 40, but you can absolutely buy a bottle of wine for 20 that's going to be better than most 40 dollar wines.  There are bargains out there, so it's a matter of figuring out what the best available option is for a given price, not assuming you're going to have to settle. 

Also, the reason most of us poo-poo Amazon as a source is because this is a small, self-selecting community that has a different value set than the average consumer.  Most people are perfectly fine listening to 128k mp4s on their stock ipod headphones, and can't imagine spending even 50 bucks on a set of headphones.  Most people also think good quality phones are synonymous with how much bass they can put out.  That's not really the aesthetic for the average head-fier (which is not to say there are not bass-heads aplenty here, it's just that they want "quality" bass, not just big boomy bass). 

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #19 of 34
That's pretty much what I was trying to say. Well said.

Quote:
That's not true at all.  I can say for absolute certain that the Superlux HD668bs are legitimately GOOD headphones, they hold their own against a number of more prominent phones in my collection.  Given my personal preferences and tastes, I would absolutely take those over a $350 pair of beats (but I am not about the ultra-forward, hyper-aggressive, "bass for your face" approach to sound and music, so to each their own).  Point is, if you know what you're looking for, you can find excellent phones at nearly any price.  It's sort of like wine that way.  Yes, the best wine you can buy for 20 bucks is not going to be as good as the best wine you can buy for 40, but you can absolutely buy a bottle of wine for 20 that's going to be better than most 40 dollar wines.  There are bargains out there, so it's a matter of figuring out what the best available option is for a given price, not assuming you're going to have to settle. 

Also, the reason most of us poo-poo Amazon as a source is because this is a small, self-selecting community that has a different value set than the average consumer.  Most people are perfectly fine listening to 128k mp4s on their stock ipod headphones, and can't imagine spending even 50 bucks on a set of headphones.  Most people also think good quality phones are synonymous with how much bass they can put out.  That's not really the aesthetic for the average head-fier (which is not to say there are not bass-heads aplenty here, it's just that they want "quality" bass, not just big boomy bass). 

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 34
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #23 of 34
Haha, I'm thinking about investing in some ES7's for myself when I get the chance, but as of now the legit ones seem to be at least 70 dollars.
The FW3 seem like the perfect present! I would love to get her the Superlux, but they are towards the end of my price range and the cord length seems like it would be bothersome.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Haha, I'm thinking about investing in some ES7's for myself when I get the chance, but as of now the legit ones seem to be at least 70 dollars.
The FW3 seem like the perfect present! I would love to get her the Superlux, but they are towards the end of my price range and the cord length seems like it would be bothersome.

I know nothing about the FW3s, but I imagine they will not be the best sounding phones ever.  Big headphone manufacturers like AT and Senn are always going to have pretty piss-poor offerings at their lower end for those who really just don't care, because it makes them money (I give you the pmx60s as a prime example).  That said, those are indeed cute as a button (apologies for the the bad pun...).  If you can stomach the thought of wearing them briefly, I'd really love to hear how they sound, because my lovely lady would flip over the pink ones.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #27 of 34
I don't think that Ebay link is legit, the stuff that the seller sells are notorious for having many chinese copies, and i'm sure the ATH-FW3 of his did not come from AT.
maybe try something from here:
http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?cPath=23_26
http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?cPath=23_166

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #29 of 34
The Koss UR-55 are what i'd suggest. Did she like the sound of the porta pro? If so then she'd definitely like these.
They look better and sound even better then those. They have the best sound quality out of anything i've heard under $80.
I would have just said $100, but the DJ 100 has them beat, but not by much.
Someone should compare the Maxell headphones to the UR-55. Maybe I can do that! Wish I could just find them locally, but it seems impossible.

I gave my pair of UR-55 (upgraded to Koss DJ PRO100) to my mom and what's what she's now using. It was an upgrade from her pair of Shure 240s that I gave her a few months back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back