Giant killers?
May 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #31 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe to those who value cost above actual sound quality. If I had an unlimited budget, I might find something that sounds better. Then again, there is a good chance that I might not!

In a blindfolded group test, I guarantee that the 770s would frequently be chosen above many far more expensive phones.

If we all had the same tastes as you, then not only would that be true, but they would cost more like 1000$ than what they do. You probably choose them out of DBTs as well.

Thing is, we don't all have the same tastes as you. I went out to guitar center a little after I entered the wallet crunching land known as head-fi, and tried a set of HD 280s and DT770s. What I found was that the 280s isolate extremely well and also sound like poo IMO, and that the DT770s have darn nice pads, and sound slightly better than the 280s. Personally I would take my portapros over both, and I did. I'm sure there are people who would take the 280s over the 770s and portapros as well. It's all subjective.

(end rant, delicious bait etc.)

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #32 of 78
No such thing. Giant killers is a term coined by people too poor to afford high end gear
atsmile.gif

JK

May 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #33 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a blindfolded group test, I guarantee that the 770s would frequently be chosen above many far more expensive phones.

So would Bose headphones. I guess perhaps the DT770 Pro and Bose belong to the same category then?
wink.gif

May 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would Bose headphones. I guess perhaps the DT770 Pro and Bose belong to the same category then?
wink.gif

Ohhhhhh snaaaaaap... he just went there...

May 15, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyreynold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No such thing. Giant killers is a term coined by people too poor to afford high end gear
atsmile.gif

JK

I wouldn't say this. Higher price doesn't guarantee higher sound quality. Higher price often means bigger advertising budget - all those ads don't come for free.

May 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyreynold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif

JK

The true noobs are those who think they can buy their way into an ever-increasing enjoyment of music.

May 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #37 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say this. Higher price doesn't guarantee higher sound quality. Higher price often means bigger advertising budget - all those ads don't come for free.

I don't think so, I'm not talking about expensive Bose. Companies we've grown to love like Grado aren't going around advertising everywhere. And their higher end headphones may be more expensive -- but provide amazing sound quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The true noobs are those who think they can buy their way into an ever-increasing enjoyment of music.

Quoted for the truth. Nice sig btw

May 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #38 of 78
This thread is kind of pointless, because giant killers usually aren't "permanent" giant killers. They are usually fundamentally good headphones that get a steep price cut, and they become giant killers for a while until demand picks up.

I found alot of the ATH phones, the a700, ad700, and anc7 were giant killers for a while. a700 and ad700 both went from 140->100 dollars at some point, and whoever bought them must be pretty happy with themselves now that their prices are going up again. I bought my anc7's when they were 100 bucks(amazon wouldn't show you the price until you put it in your cart), now they are close to 200, so I would say they are giant killers at the price I bought them.

May 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #39 of 78
Amps: Fiio E5, Rockhopper M^3, DIY amps such as the Jaycar amp etc...

Headphones/earphones: Koss KSC-75 (given), Audio Technica AD700, JVC RX700, Nuforce NE-7M

Sources: Asus Essence STX (you cannot get a better DAC + Amp combo for that price new), Sansa Fuze (DAP),

May 16, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #43 of 78
For their price, and considering the "league" they typically play in, I've always thought highly of the DT880/2003. When I had the Darkvoice 337, as good as the HD650 sounded when driven by the DV337--and indeed, they sounded exceptional, I preferred the DT880/2003. Maybe not a "giant killer," per se, but an effective shin-kicker to be sure! : )

May 16, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, buy the cheapest everything and just enjoy the music? People buy better gear to enjoy their music more. Yes, I know. Odd. You make it sound like a bad thing if the price is over 200. Are you a penny pincher? Or just don't see the value of better gear, plus music, equals a better listening experience.

May 17, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #45 of 78
The only giant killer I would name as of today is Apuresound Etymotic ER4P, which I consider the only universal IEM to beat many (also very highly rated) full size cans, including Stax SR-003 (well actaully this is an electrostatic canalphone which I tried with 4 different amps), several top rated orthos, and even Sony CD3000 (not to talk about the awful, to me, Denon D5000).

The other great headphone I have owned, the SRX MkIII Pro, is already a giant although its comfort is a bit of a gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back