Giant killers?
May 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would Bose headphones. I guess perhaps the DT770 Pro and Bose belong to the same category then?
wink.gif

No, Bose phones would only very rarely (if ever) be chosen in a DBT. The people who buy Bose do so because of their successful advertising campaign, and because they haven't even tried comparing them to anything decent.

There are occasionally those who think they prefer Bose in an A/B test, but they are fooling themselves based on the label. In a DBT (with no label in view), almost anything would be chosen above Bose crap.

Of course, you knew all that, and were just making a crude insult.

May 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #48 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, in general, people with "uneducated ears" like a headphone with a V-shaped frequency response which translates to Bose.

I assume that you are defining "uneducated ears" as not liking the same things that you like?

Anyway, it is a moot point. Bose phones sound crappy without regard to the frequency response. By contrast, preferring a diffent frequency balance is the only valid reason that some people have for not liking the DT770s.

May 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #49 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume that you are defining "uneducated ears" as not liking the same things that you like?

Anyway, it is a moot point. Bose phones sound crappy without regard to the frequency response. By contrast, preferring a diffent frequency balance is the only valid reason that some people have for not liking the DT770s.

Unbelievable. You just contradict yourself.

May 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unbelievable. You just contradict yourself.

Nope. No contradictions to be found.

DT770 sound quality is flawless, but the balance of frequencies may not suit some tastes.

By contrast, Bose sound quality is crappy, and cannot sound good even to someone who loves their frequency balance.

May 18, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume that you are defining "uneducated ears" as not liking the same things that you like? Defending people who like V-shapes, and implying that you are defending bose as well. (Not saying you were, as you were obviously just bashing the poster of the original comment, but it can be interpreted like that quite easily)

Anyway, it is a moot point. Bose phones sound crappy without regard to the frequency response. By contrast, preferring a diffent frequency balance is the only valid reason that some people have for not liking the DT770s. Back to bose bashing.

Will you get over the fact that you are the only person here who takes the DT770 over most all other headphones? The only valid reason for taking the DT770 over headphones in higher classes of SQ is because you like it's frequency response. I've yet to see one single person love the DT770s as much as you do, and if what you said was true, then there would be a very large group of people who do.

I can see someone liking a certain headphone over others, but you have a tendency to take it way too far. It gets old.

May 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #52 of 78
For me, my best buy has been the hd650 with the dv322 amp; the sound is excellent, much better than the price would indicate. Like all hi-fi you can spend alot of cash to get 'different sound' - doesn't mean 'better'.

But, for giant killer - pound-for-pound SR80's - really great sound for silly money - but you pay for no comfort!

May 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, my best buy has been the hd650 with the dv322 amp; the sound is excellent, much better than the price would indicate. Like all hi-fi you can spend alot of cash to get 'different sound' - doesn't mean 'better'.

But, for giant killer - pound-for-pound SR80's - really great sound for silly money - but you pay for no comfort!

I think I heard somewhere that the SR-80s are basically SR-60s with different pads?

May 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you get over the fact that you are the only person here who takes the DT770 over most all other headphones? The only valid reason for taking the DT770 over headphones in higher classes of SQ is because you like it's frequency response. I've yet to see one single person love the DT770s as much as you do, and if what you said was true, then there would be a very large group of people who do.

I can see someone liking a certain headphone over others, but you have a tendency to take it way too far. It gets old.

I can't really pile up on Itort..) Too be fair, popularity isn't the only way to gauge a 'great' sounding headphone.

May 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

I think I heard somewhere that the SR-80s are basically SR-60s with different pads?

even if that is the case (seems plausible), the difference in price is negligible. by all means not a giant killer.

May 18, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #56 of 78
For how long have you kept a specific can? If your listening to something for a few years now, with some many other cans to go around... I'd say you found the giant killer : the one that stands the test of time despite all the money spent searching for something else : HD600 is my giant killer
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't really pile up on Itort..) Too be fair, popularity isn't the only way to gauge a 'great' sounding headphone.

Well popularity is one thing (FOTM cough cough), but a lot of people have tried/owned DT770s (Including me). Maybe if fewer people have owned them, and most of those liked them, then it might be a different story (DT48 anyone?).

May 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #58 of 78
Wonder how many of the posters have heard the "GIANT"?

I love my AD900 and HD650, but have no idea if it's a killer of the DX1000, W5000, L3000, Qualia 010.

May 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

I've yet to see one single person love the DT770s as much as you do, and if what you said was true, then there would be a very large group of people who do.

Theres a few people... some people are less vocal than others.

Anyway.
As for the whole educated ears thing, I would agree that they tend to go for the MOAR BASS option, although it should be said that educated ears dont necessarily go towards analytical or neutral cans.
Although not quite the same can, I quite enjoy the 770 pro, but also enjoy other cans...
Whilst not the "best" can I've heard, its among one of the most fun I have heard, in my opinion.

May 18, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyreynold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoted for the truth. Nice sig btw

Thanks. It's from a song by Stephanie Lapointe. :O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back