Getting skeptical: does "better" really exist?
May 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #319 of 402
The y-axis in those graphs is greatly exaggerated to make the differences visible. If they actually reflected how we hear, the range from +5 to -5 dB would look like a straight line, and only the highest peaks and lowest valleys would be noticeable at all.

If you really want to know about graphs, read the book "How to Lie with Stasistics".

May 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #320 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's trying so hard to troll and he's not even good at it

This thread is 22 pages long and only 7 days old. If I were a troll (which, of course, I am clearly not), then that would imply that I am very good at it.
tongue.gif

May 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #321 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me ask you something: if you went to a dojo, would you tell the Sensei that just because you never used Aikido in school it doesn't exist and everything he's teaching is BS? Did you tell your driving instructor that accidents can't happen because you've never been in one? Did you tell your history professor in school that WW2 didn't happen because you never saw it?

You make assumptions based on limited experience and then try to pass them off as fact, and use faulty pseudo-science to back them up. But there are people on these forums that are experts, and for them telling you "this is how it is" is not arrogance. It is experience.

This man summed it up perfectly. Also, I couldn't give a snot what sir trolly's last two posts were, and more importantly I have him blocked so I don't have to see him. Here is a little tip for the rest of the people here;

1) Go to intoart's profile
2) Go to user lists
3) Click 'Add to ignore list'
4) ??????
5) PROFIT

May 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #322 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The y-axis in those graphs is greatly exaggerated to make the differences visible. If they actually reflected how we hear, the range from +5 to -5 dB would look like a straight line, and only the highest peaks and lowest valleys would be noticeable at all.

If you really want to know about graphs, read the book "How to Lie with Stasistics".

If the differences were so subtle, why did you claim the K701 to have NO bass while you said the Dt770 has real life bass? After all, I thought you said the differences were subtle at best.
wink.gif

May 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #323 of 402
Quote:

Yes.

I's hard to debate with someone who stands so high above reality.

Quote:

It's not exaggerated at all. That's the normal way to display frequency responses. ±5 dB (vertical subdivision) is a lot and perceptually relevant.

Quote:

Can you provide a significant abstract?

Quote:

This thread is 22 pages long and only 7 days old. If I were a troll (which, of course, I am clearly not), then that would imply that I am very good at it.
tongue.gif

Yes, you're good at it. Satisfied? I don't understand the seriousness with which the posters react to your frivolous arguments. Anyway, if you really want to broaden your horizon and learn from others, I recommend you to change your attitude.

May 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #324 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, if you really want to broaden your horizon and learn from others, I recommend you to change your attitude.

I don't ever recall saying that I wanted to broaden my horizons or learn from others.
smile.gif

May 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #325 of 402
Kinda makes you rethink coming to intoart's defense, no?
wink.gif

But there is a certain charm to intoart's reveling in his own ignorance. Wilfull blindness certainly can be a money saver.

And you're right JaZZ, why we continue to take the bait is a good question. An even better question, to me, is why intoart continues to post here when there is no room for improvement upon his current setup?

EDIT: Just saw the most recent post above mine. So, in addition to my question above, intoart, do you see it as your mission to educate us?

May 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #326 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the differences were so subtle, why did you claim the K701 to have NO bass while you said the Dt770 has real life bass? After all, I thought you said the differences were subtle at best.
wink.gif

Well, those two phones do represent the extremes in every way. I doubt that any other comparison could yield differences as large as those two.
Of course, even those differences could have been eliminated entirely by using an equalizer, and were only noticeable because I listen in "direct" mode.
Indeed, with the exception of phones bad enough to have fundamental issues like "buzzing", an equalizer would change all differences from merely subtle to nonexistent.

May 28, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #327 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
intoart, do you see it as your mission to educate us?

Why do you assume that I have a "mission"?
I get bored easily, and forums are entertainment.

May 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #328 of 402
Quote:

I don't ever recall saying that I wanted to broaden my horizons or learn from others.
smile.gif

My bad! Sorry for the insinuation!

May 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #329 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda makes you rethink coming to intoart's defense, no?
wink.gif

The «defense» was just meant for the thread and the idea/intention behind it, not the OP's mental and ideologic attitude. It would/could have been interesting to discuss the topic in a civil and adult manner. But I'm not disappointed at all. Reality is as it presents itself...
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #330 of 402
Quote:

Well, those two phones do represent the extremes in every way. I doubt that any other comparison could yield differences as large as those two.
Of course, even those differences could have been eliminated entirely by using an equalizer, and were only noticeable because I listen in "direct" mode.
Indeed, with the exception of phones bad enough to have fundamental issues like "buzzing", an equalizer would change all differences from merely subtle to nonexistent.

Get back to me when you can EQ some soundstage, imaging capability, and micro-details out of a headphone while not degrading overall SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back