Getting skeptical: does "better" really exist?
Jun 4, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #391 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it's often voiced by people who might secretely like to move further up, but can't afford it. It's a bit sad really, but it falls in the same category as all those people looking for positive comments from others on gear they have just bought. And if such reassurance isn't offered by others, they start shouting about it themselves in a desperate effort to convince themselves that what they have is all they'll ever need.

"My 500$ system is almost equivalent to your 20,000$ system!" Yeah, sure!
rolleyes.gif

I ALMOST won a Reference 1 at Canjam's raffle! Well, not really.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #392 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ALMOST won a Reference 1 at Canjam's raffle! Well, not really.
frown.gif

Quite a few people almost won it. My condolences.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #393 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it's often voiced by people who might secretely like to move further up, but can't afford it. It's a bit sad really, but it falls in the same category as all those people looking for positive comments from others on gear they have just bought. And if such reassurance isn't offered by others, they start shouting about it themselves in a desperate effort to convince themselves that what they have is all they'll ever need.

"My 500$ system is almost equivalent to your 20,000$ system!" Yeah, sure!
rolleyes.gif

This is probably based on your 'feelings' isn't it haha
smily_headphones1.gif
. I mean headphone audio equipment, even the very high ones (like the orpheus) is still a cheap hobby. Try to get a decent grand piano for the money of a orpheus for instance.

I was merely talking about that I do know that there are people who just spend their days comparing all their headphones and equipment etc. etc. and like I said, each to their own, but thats just not for me. When I read stuff like 'well you won't be wow'd be realistic sound (the Hd800)', now thats what I call an excuse
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #394 of 402
Most people, especially audiophiles, do not spend their days listening to their gear over just kicking back enjoying music. I'm sure there are a couple freaks out there, but they would be the rare ones. There is a time for both types of listening. When I'm auditioning gear, I'm usually listening critically to see if I want to own it. When I first get gear, the last thing I'm doing is listening critically, which is why I don't post impressions, other than very generic ones, right away. I'm just enjoying the music, and new gear often inspires me to listen to many things I haven't heard in a long time or get new music. I sometimes listen critically if I feel something's "off" and I can't place my finger on it, or if I'm about to describe how something sounds to another person since I like to be as accurate as possible. That's about it. Listening to how your system sounds is a skill that can be developed, and is actually beneficial to enjoying music when you're not even thinking about your system. You gain a much deeper understanding of presentation and the recognition of what the music is bringing you, and also how you can maximize your system to bring you what you enjoy best. It's a different type of attention you can turn on and off, but I know of absolutely no one who listens critically at the expense of purely enjoying whatever they have.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #395 of 402
Good point boomana. For me I produce music (play instrument, record, I have a separate arranger because I suck at that, mix etc.) so that has learned me alot in the past 7 years about music etc. I do am glad that there are people who spend alot of time comparing all those amps cables and headphones out there, gives me more time to do all the other stuff, and still be able to enjoy HQ audio. Cheers

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #397 of 402
Another point is that on audio forums there tends to be a lot of discussion about critical evaluation, which is only right, and thank goodness for it. Some people, however, might get a skewed perception, thinking that's all folks do around here. Audio forums are simply one of the few, if not only, places we can talk about gear and people can share and care about it. This isn't a music forum; it's a gear forum. We talk about gear. When I'm done gabbing and reading about gear, which I find interesting, I'm listening to music without thinking about gear at all.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #398 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably based on your 'feelings' isn't it haha
smily_headphones1.gif
. I mean headphone audio equipment, even the very high ones (like the orpheus) is still a cheap hobby. Try to get a decent grand piano for the money of a orpheus for instance.

I was merely talking about that I do know that there are people who just spend their days comparing all their headphones and equipment etc. etc. and like I said, each to their own, but thats just not for me.

Yeah, headfi-frustrations, aren't they fun?
biggrin.gif
(Wasn't really aimed at you by the way.)

There is of course a huge difference between willing to spend a lot of money on well-built equipment vs. "Audiophile Club of Athens"/Patrick82 level of audiophile tweaking. Hopefully even someone like Wmcmanus with his $52,250 source spends most of time time enjoying it rather than worrying about what to upgrade.

And yeah, this hobby is pretty cheap. I haven't really found the price-equivalent of a pair of Kharma speakers among headphones yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I read stuff like 'well you won't be wow'd be realistic sound (the Hd800)', now thats what I call an excuse
biggrin.gif

Actually, not entirely. Realistic, or rather, neutral sound doesn't really wow as much as coloured sound does on first hearing. At least for most people. What wows you at first hearing will often become a source of irritation in the long run. What sounds perhaps underwhelming at first, can become a lasting joy once you get to know it better.
Still, better to wait a year though and see what the opinions on the HD800 are then.
wink.gif

EDIT: Excellent posts Boomana!

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #399 of 402
Ok I understand you alot better now Drosera, and agree with what you said.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #400 of 402
I haven't read this thread entirely, but I think it's great when audiophiles try to hear the difference between different components like caps, opamps, etc, and modding headphones and trying to find the best synergy. They are as dedicated to audio as most big audio manufacturers are to maximizing profits. The less people listen critically, the easier it'll be for manufacturers to minimize cost in both design and materials. And mass-producers won't care about quality if customers don't care about quality, in which case the only way to get quality goods will be from small audio companies. The tragic part of that is that small companies are then entitled to charge way above what would otherwise be quite cheap if mass-produced, all because people don't have a reasonable yardstick to judge what good sound/price performance is.

People need to become so critical that big audio companies know we are informed consumers and price/design their products accordingly rather than price their cheap products at a level they think will best maximize their profits.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #401 of 402
I have to agree with boomana about the duality of pursuing the best sq. As someone said earlier i think that listening to music and the gear itself is deeply linked. As from everyone i have met interested in this hobby is listening to their gear to find out how to maximize the enjoyment of their music.

As far as people being jealous of what they cant afford i am not sure how much i buy that. For example i cant not afford a ferrari or even a new car to be honest, but i dont spend my whole days talking about how a honda with the right engine is good enough, and that those with ferraris are too focused on cars and not driving itself.

It aint the best analogy but i hope it kinda of gets my point across

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #402 of 402
Granted my equipment is beginner, but I don't think anyone but maybe that cable freak Patrick listens to just equipment.

I listen about 2-3 hours or more a day, usually at night when my fiance is asleep. I just lay back and close my ears and fully immerse myself in the music.

Now when I am reading about gear especially reviews I tend to listen more critically to hear what they are saying, especially the more experienced members views.

All I would like is a phone with the Bass like L3000 and grado/at mids for a little less until I finish school and the 50th anniversary AT comes out that might be ever better than L3000 (I hope)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back