Getting skeptical: does "better" really exist?
May 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #32 of 402
It is odd that intoart likes both HD280 Pro and Dt770 pro when they're extreme polar opposite especially in terms of bass quantity and impact. In fact, the HD280 Pro has anemic bass in contrast to all other headphones that I tried.

May 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #33 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is odd that intoart likes both HD280 Pro and Dt770 pro when they're extreme polar opposite especially in terms of bass quantity and impact. In fact, the HD280 Pro has anemic bass in contrast to all other headphones that I tried.

Did you try it with an amp? I haven't heard a lot about the HD280 cause it seems out-shined in popularity by the high end models, but it seems plausible that it needs a good deal of power to really shine. I mean, all the other Senns do from what I read.

May 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #35 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try it with an amp? I haven't heard a lot about the HD280 cause it seems out-shined in popularity by the high end models, but it seems plausible that it needs a good deal of power to really shine. I mean, all the other Senns do from what I read.

Even with great amp like Opera and Raptor, HD280 sounds not good - anemic bass and boring overall sound.

May 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #36 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried quite a few headphones at a wide range of prices, including the very expensive D5000s. I am back to listening to my $80 HD280s instead. I used to believe that "you get what you pay for", but I no longer think that that is true for headphones. The AKGs were 4X as much as the Sennheisers, the Denons were 6X as much, and neither seemed much better, let alone mind-blowingly better.
Is there such a thing as "high end" headphones, or is that just a myth? What would I have to pay for something enough better that I would be unwilling to go back to the HD280s?

From my experience, better does exist. A few examples: When I heard the Sennheiser Orpheus system, the Stax Omegas, and recently the AKG K1000s - these are profoundly better than anything I've heard from "traditional" headphones.

Below them, it's more an issue of preference. Better models will provide greater inner resolution and micro dynamics of the musical performance and recording. Different models offer different presentations to the music: Do you want it close and intimate sounding or do you want it relaxed and a bit distant sounding? Each person has their preference and this may vary with music.

Also don't forget the amplifier in the total equation: A lousy amplifier won't allow any headphone to sound its best. With loudspeakers and headphones, you do hear more of what the speakers/headphones are capable when powered by top amplifiers.

May 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #37 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with great amp like Opera and Raptor, HD280 sounds not good - anemic bass and boring overall sound.

Okay, I wasn't sure. I just wanted to make sure that the headphones were given a fair chance. After all, someone on these forums did a review of the AD700s vs. K701s and somehow had the AD700s having better sound quality. Come to find out, he was using the K701s phones unamped, so the conclusion was invalid.

May 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #38 of 402
Quote:

Okay, I wasn't sure. I just wanted to make sure that the headphones were given a fair chance. After all, someone on these forums did a review of the AD700s vs. K701s and somehow had the AD700s having better sound quality. Come to find out, he was using the K701s phones unamped, so the conclusion was invalid.

That's not an invalid conclusion. It's perfectly valid for those 'phones, with no amp, to his ears.

May 22, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #39 of 402
is it just me, or is mostly DT770 owners who make threads like this.
Shoot me before I get there.
popcorn.gif

May 22, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #40 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not an invalid conclusion. It's perfectly valid for those 'phones, with no amp, to his ears.

The point was to compare the phones. He stated that the K701s were inferior phones when they are clearly not. So it is an invalid conclusion given his original premise.

May 22, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #41 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried quite a few headphones at a wide range of prices, including the very expensive D5000s. I am back to listening to my $80 HD280s instead. I used to believe that "you get what you pay for", but I no longer think that that is true for headphones. The AKGs were 4X as much as the Sennheisers, the Denons were 6X as much, and neither seemed much better, let alone mind-blowingly better.
Is there such a thing as "high end" headphones, or is that just a myth? What would I have to pay for something enough better that I would be unwilling to go back to the HD280s?

Tin ears? Souce? Amp? all three? some mixture? If you've found you're audio nirvana be happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy to believe that what you have is as good as it gets if you've never experienced better. If you're happy with what you have, more power to you.

Agreed. Ignorance is bliss and your wallet will love you for it.

May 22, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #42 of 402
Quote:

The point was to compare the phones. He stated that the K701s were inferior phones when they are clearly not. So it is an invalid conclusion given his original premise.

I'm not sure if you're talking about my comparisons of the K701 and AD700, but if you are, I've never said the K701 are inferior phones (or even anything close to that). Furthermore, I compared them extensively amped and unamped throughout the period in which I owned both. However, if you weren't talking about my reviews, carry on.

May 22, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #43 of 402
Quote:

I still say it's a valid conclusion with those 'phones, with no amp, to his ears. Your opinion is obviously different. Perhaps many people's opinion is different. It doesn't invalidate his.

May 22, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #44 of 402
Why is this so complicated? If cheaper headphones sound better to you than expensive headphones, then better does not exist. If I found IBuds to sound better than Grados, then I would just be happy that I have found my own audio nirvana. However, the point is, my tastes would be very different from those of the majority, so taking advice from me would be useless.

The point of coming on this forum is to find the consensus on headphones, not hear the opinions of deviant opinions. If in every headphone thread I advocated IBuds, my opinion is totally valid, but it would not useful, because it is too deviant. This is the sad truth. If your opinion is highly deviant from the consensus, then it's simply not useful.

So to the OP, "better" may not exist for you, but it does exist for most other people here, as is apparent by increasing satisfaction with increasingly expensive headphones (if the expensive headphones in question are good by consensus). You should be happy that you have found your personal nirvana, but realize that your opinion is not useful to others buying new headphones.

May 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #45 of 402
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to the OP, "better" may not exist for you, but it does exist for most other people here, as is apparent by increasing satisfaction with increasingly expensive headphones

How exactly are you defining "increasing satisfaction with increasingly expensive headphones"? Relative to their distribution, the more expensive phones appear in FS or eBay every bit as often as (if not more than) the cheaper phones. If people were satisfied, they wouldn't continue to buy and sell phones after reaching these "better" phones. The fact that most here continue to do so indicates that there's little correlation between price and contentment; whether you buy a $100 HD555 or a $10,000 Orpheus, if you don't stop wondering if your next purchase would make the music better, you're in the same boat. You can't buy satisfaction, no matter how good each purchase may feel in the two-hour/day/week honeymoon. It's got to come from inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back