Getting new Pair of cans, but I can't decide.
Jun 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JTVD78

New Head-Fier
I Have the Auzentech Prelude sound card, so I have no need for a DAC, and I can buy an amp, but I only have a $300 budget. 

I mostly listen to music(85-90%):
Dubstep (60%)
Screamo/metal/anything like that(30%)
Other Techno-ish music(10%)

The other 10-15% is:
Movies
Gaming
Youtube

I have done research, and the ATH-m50 seems to be the best for me but then I got some reccomensations for other pairs. The Beyer 660 and 770 seem similar, and the 770 has been said to be pretty good. How do they compare? Also, Is 80 ohms(770) Too much to drive without an amp?

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/dt-660-edition.html (660)
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-m.html (770)
Also, There are so many Ultrasone ones, I cannot chose(HFI-580,680,780, Pro 550,750, DJ1, DJ1Pro). I don't really know the differences. Researching is difficult when everything is based on opinion. Is there a place I can go to try them out? I live in centeral NJ.

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 16
M50's would be a perfect fit for you, as long as you can mind the bass. But Dubstep has a massive amount of bass, so you'd like them

I wouldn't buy Beyer or Ultrasone because most of them are "you get what you paid for" and other companies are "you get more". But some can argue their point.

M50's are good for you
They don't need an amp or a DAC
they might need a little playing with the EQ on your system but they would be fine for you.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 16
just got some m50s about 6 hours ago, man.  not burned-in, but the first thing i did when i got home was run some dubstep through them.  they're really nice sounding, perform more than admirably with typical car stereo subwoofer tracks (e.g., excursion tests and sweeps down to 20hz), and sounded nice on the dubstep.  i honestly don't think it would be a bad choice for you at all.  like your situation, i've got two firewire recording interfaces so i'm not using a separate amp , yet, either.

(and right now i've got Audirvana pumping a FLAC 20th anniversary darkside of the moon remaster.)  i'll let them enjoy a pink noise bath tonight and see how it sounds playing again tomorrow.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
M50's would be a perfect fit for you, as long as you can mind the bass. But Dubstep has a massive amount of bass, so you'd like them

I wouldn't buy Beyer or Ultrasone because most of them are "you get what you paid for" and other companies are "you get more". But some can argue their point.

M50's are good for you
They don't need an amp or a DAC
they might need a little playing with the EQ on your system but they would be fine for you.

Are you serious? I would very much like to know where you came up with that nonsense.

Clearly you haven't listened to some of the finest Ultrasone headphones. I strongly feel that one gets much more than what he pays for with Ultrasones.

I on the other hand would recommend the OP to listen to the Ultrasone HFI-580, as it's bass comes up more refined than the M50s. Of course that it all depends on the budget, because the Ultrasone Pro 750 is a different animal, only below of the Pro 900, which are some of the best bass emphasized headphones around.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I know that the m50 has the mini- headphone jack, so i can use it with my ipod, but does any of the other ones have it?

Ultrasone HFI series come with 3.5mm jacks, while the Pro series comes with two detachable cables, one 3.5mm and another 6.3mm.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
What about beyer

I'm not sure, but perhaps the DT990 could work too. Still, considering what you're going to listen to, as well as movies and games, it would be close to perfect if you could get the Ultrasone Pro 900, or the younger bro, the Pro 750
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 16

[size=medium]
If I get the Pro 750, I would have no amp. Would my iPod be able to power them(40 Ohms)?
With the Pro 550, I would have to get an amp(64 ohms), so it wouldnt be iPod powerable at all, thus limiting portability.
The Pro 900 is just to expensive for me.

How is the Hifi Series(580,680,780)?

If I can't power them with my iPod, then I really don't want them. So they Beyer will have to have the mini-headphone jacks.
[/size]

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

[size=medium]
If I get the Pro 750, I would have no amp. Would my iPod be able to power them(40 Ohms)?
With the Pro 550, I would have to get an amp(64 ohms), so it wouldnt be iPod powerable at all, thus limiting portability.
The Pro 900 is just to expensive for me.

How is the Hifi Series(580,680,780)?

If I can't power them with my iPod, then I really don't want them. So they Beyer will have to have the mini-headphone jacks.
[/size]

Keep in mind that most Beyers are much harder to drive than Ultrasones. You could get a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580 and a Fiio E11, it's well within budget, and you also have E11's bass boost to fiddle with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back