Getting My 1st Rig: Need Your Suggestions
Jul 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bassboost

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here and I just need some advise in setting up my first rig. Any suggestions about which PMP, headphones, and amp should I get will be much appreciated. :)

Btw, I listen to bassy-type of music most of the time (R&B and club, not really into hip-hop :)), so I'm wondering if a Sony Walkman would be a good choice because of it's Megabass feature? I also prefer on-ear type of headphones (like AKG K 450) but I might also consider IEMs. Also, do you guys think FiiO E5 would be a good amp for a starter?

TIA guys! Will appreciate every suggestion that will be posted here. :wink:

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 13
$200 overall?  Skip an amp for now as something like the Fiio E5 would be a waste imo.  The Sansa Clip+ is a nice budget player though it doesn't have any kind of bass boost feature. Then maybe something like the Audio Technica ES7 (since im guessing your looking for portable phones due to wanting them to be supra-aural).

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
$200 overall?  Skip an amp for now as something like the Fiio E5 would be a waste imo.  The Sansa Clip+ is a nice budget player though it doesn't have any kind of bass boost feature. Then maybe something like the Audio Technica ES7 (since im guessing your looking for portable phones due to wanting them to be supra-aural).

Thanks JayB, I've found a Sony NWZ-S738 Walkman for 130 bucks. And then a used AKG K 450 for 76. Do you think these two will make a good combination?

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd choose a headphone that doesn't need an amp if your budget is $200. For your genres I'd suggest:
  • ATH M50
  • Shure 840
  • Grado 225i (if you listen to any rock)
  • Ad700 (bass light but does everything else great)
  • Allesandro MS1i 

Try entering those into the head-fi search engine and do some comparing to find which works best for you. Good luck and welcome to Headfi ! 

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 13
How about Nokia XpressMusic series? I had a Sony Walkman phone and the output was a bit low, can't hear sound clearly using a Senns PX 100-ii. Output was good when I used my Beat Tour IEM though.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 13
Get some HD595's. They are easy to drive and will work well with any portable player you choose. I'll sell you mine for $130!

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back