Get a modded SR80i or use Fiio E11 with modded SR60i? (plus bonus questions)
Aug 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

generic user

New Head-Fier
I'm more of a casual listener but I've been an avid fan of the Grado sound. I have in my collection:

1. Unmodded SR60i
2. Unmodded SR225i
3. Modded SR60i (mesh cloth removed, punched 10 holes, felt mod)

I also have all the three pads - S, L and G. Of all combinations, I have come to love the sound of Modded SR60i + G pads (even more than SR225i + G pads). I really like the extra punchy bass over the loss of some sparkly highs. In fact, I believe a bit more bass cannot hurt. I mostly listen to hard /soft rock, alternative, rock instrumental and female vocalists. I do not have an amp and listen through either my laptop or ipod nano.

Now, I've never heard an SR80i. Since they are supposed to have better lows compared to SR60i's, should I get an SR80i and mod it, or get a Fiio E11 and use that with my modded SR60i?

Thanks in advance.

Bonus question: For the last few weeks, I've been listening to a Sennheiser HD 280 pro. After reading all the reviews, I expected something really good and something different from the Grados. However, as I have been listening to it, it felt like one of the worst headphones I've ever listened to. There seems to be no 'life' in the sound. Everything seemed bland. No bass at all, no sparkles and the mids seem to be overwhelming. The sound seems like an inverse "V" shape to me (sorry but I'm not sure exactly how to explain it). I am, though, able the distinguish different instruments easily. Did I get a broken piece? Or have Grado's ruined me?

Bonus question 2: I'm on the go a lot and cannot use the Grados outside. What would be a good $50-$100 IEM that has a sound similar to Grados? Preferably with a bit more bass? I'm currently using MEElectornics M9, MEElectornics RX12 and Brainwavz M4 and am not too happy with any of them. My list of candidates: Vsonic gr02 bass edition, Grado iGi, Beyerdynamic DTX 101 IE, Dunu Trident; but I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: Added Dunu Trident.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 5
The Grado's are quite sensitive, and the E11 may end up making them too loud. In my experience, the SR80 did have a bit more bass, but nothing too significant. Why don't you try an EQ first and see if that works? 

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 5
Senn's house sound is more laid back and smooth as opposed to in your face as the Grados..and yes the 280s aren't that great imho. Not really sure on the second question, haven't thought about that segment of IEMs for a while now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back