German Maestro U.S. Loan Program
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #211 of 246
I have received them. Between vacation and getting a cold, I didn't get back to work until Friday. I've listened a little straight from my iPod and I like how they sound. I should be able to listen more this week.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #212 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have received them. Between vacation and getting a cold, I didn't get back to work until Friday. I've listened a little straight from my iPod and I like how they sound. I should be able to listen more this week.

Good start with the 435 straight from my iPod, and I hope you'll feel better.
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #213 of 246
Long time lurker here.

Wondering which one of these Maestro's I should get, their performance for the price seems to be very good! I am looking for a good all rounder headphone (closed or open doesn't matter) for music, movies and gaming (last two using dolby headphone) going through an Astro MixAmp!

Any suggestions?

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #214 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by GamerStudent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long time lurker here.

Wondering which one of these Maestro's I should get, their performance for the price seems to be very good! I am looking for a good all rounder headphone (closed or open doesn't matter) for music, movies and gaming (last two using dolby headphone) going through an Astro MixAmp!

Any suggestions?

The 435 are great for music and gaming, they have a good sound stage.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #216 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 435 are great for music and gaming, they have a good sound stage.

What is the difference between the 435 and 450?

I'm in a very similar boat (A40, and sometimes a D10 as DAC/AMP - gaming, movies, music). I have nice closed cans already that I'm happy with (SRH840) but am always on the look out of something with a better soundstage and a bit more of a cinematic sound - something like a Senn 600/650 but would have to be much easier to drive given my source.

Very interested to hear your thoughts. . .

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #217 of 246
435: open, 35 ohms (easy to drive)
450: closed, 300 ohms (much less easy to drive)

They all, from what I hear and going on the 450, have a nice wide soundstage. The 450 is my best for movies, though they definitely aren't bassy.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #218 of 246
435 have more bass than the 450 Pro. More and better bass. I liked the mids better on the 450 Pro more life though. For gaming or movies you may often find yourself craving for more bass... the 450 Pro is not for the bass head
smily_headphones1.gif
The 435S will need more help with the DAC to get some nice colouration going on for the mids. They can sound a bit dry if your source is dry as well.

I hasn´t been that impressed by it´s soundstaging on either of those. They have the typical very wide stereo headphone soundstage.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #219 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
435 have more bass than the 450 Pro. More and better bass. I liked the mids better on the 450 Pro more life though. For gaming or movies you may often find yourself craving for more bass... the 450 Pro is not for the bass head
smily_headphones1.gif
The 435S will need more help with the DAC to get some nice colouration going on for the mids. They can sound a bit dry if your source is dry as well.

I hasn´t been that impressed by it´s soundstaging on either of those. They have the typical very wide stereo headphone soundstage.

I've tried the 8.35 direct from my Sony Vaio laptop output, and they sounds great.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #221 of 246
Acix I got the 435S in the other day and I must say the stock pads sound the best. The velors sound bright and bass light and the leather/skin looking ones are too dark for my tastes.

GEAR USED:
Source #1: Onix XCD-99 (Coax Out)
Source #2: COWON S9 32GB
DAC: Music Hall DAC25.2 (Differential Balanced and RCA output)
Amplifier(s): Audio-GD ROC, WA3+ (maxed out, tubes upgraded, Hi-Fi tuning fuse)

The stock pads are much more balanced with the velor ones are more airy and treble oriented, but bass is tighter. Also the soundstage is slightly bigger with those.

The skin ones sound similar to a Sennheiser to me as the treble seems rolled and the bass is more pronounced. Though they sound enclosed and the airiness is cut down a lot. Anther thing is that the soundstage is quite a bit smaller in comparison.

I vastly prefer the stock pads cause they sound much more balanced. Bass is very full and lovely. I guess you can say it has great impact with slower decay. The mids sound somewhat dry to me but are detailed and clear. Treble is the most pronounced frequency spectrum on this phone but not harsh or overbearing. Lots of treble detail and it has decent extension.

SET-UP #1 : NON PORTABLE SETUP.
GEAR USED: Onix XCD-99, MH DAC25.2, Audio-GD ROC/WA3+

Compared to my DT880 600Ohm and HD600, these have a bigger soundstage, theough I think the DT880 has better imaging. The DT880 does have much more midrange presence though and the bass isn't as tight. Also the DT880 has much cleaner treble while IMO the 435S has clearer mids. A comparison between each models bass reveals that the DT880's bass is far more textured and layered while the 435S's bass is tight and focussed. It's kind of hard to describe how it sound.

The HD600 is considered my many a muffled sounding headphone, but I disagree. It's just the treble is rolled off and IMO does not sound muffled at all. The 435S easily has a bigger soundstage than the HD600 by a big margin. The HD600 in comparison has a more congested sound with a more focussed bottom end, though not nearly as tight as the 435S. The hD600 though seems to perform better with a wider range of music than the 435S.

The 435S itself is a great studio phone that is very detailed and also very transparent. But since it's so detailed it will make bad recording or audio files sound much worse. The bass alone is very tight sounding and focussed with decent texture. The bass also has good impact for a studio phone, but nothing compared to the bass of the Denon D2000. Mids are also slightly dry or recessed, similar to that of a DT880 250Ohm IMO, but not the same thing. Though the mids are far more detailed than a D2000 and also more resolving. Treble is very detailed without being harsh or strident. It also seems to extend nicely. Soundstage is actually pretty good on this phone and is bigger then my DT880 and HD600's and that to me is impressive.

I highly recommend amping this headphone since the sound does improve quite a bit.

SET-UP #2 : PORTABLE USE
GEAR USED : COWON S9 32GB

I think the 435S is a great headphone for studio applications, but if you plan on using it with a portable audio player I would not recommend it at all, though I will eat my words and say I'd use it for portable use since it bests my Grado SR-225i's and HD555's. It will magnify the weaknesses in compressed music so much. I found the bass to be slightly bloated when not being amped by a dedicated amp. Also the sound is a little thiner sounding with less detail and soundstage.

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #222 of 246
X2 on that review. On my old system anyway. The DAC19 I got is quite a bit bassier then my old Keces, so found the velour pads work really well on this. Especially since I find the DAC19 just slightly on the dark side and I have headphones that can give me all the bass I ever need and more too. Much better soundstage from this then I ever remembered getting before.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #223 of 246
Zombie_X, I'm glad you finally got the headphones. I know you were waiting for a long time. Good job on your review, I think you really nailed it. I like these headphones and I imagine that they can even be improved with a better cable. I'm not sure what pads you got with them, but I'll post photos of the pads and we can see if we're talking about the same ones.

Stock pads:
3242019647_3f78d9a11d_o.jpg

Oval pads: I like how you can see the driver here. BTW, if they're too bright for you, you can use some felt to adjust it to your liking.
3789521105_483eac6925_o.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #224 of 246
Ah then the stock were the ones that I did not like. I preferred the oval ones much more since they have more bass. Mine came with the oval pads installed so I assumed they were stock.

Also are these going back to GM? I'd be willing to take these off of their hands for them
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #225 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also are these going back to GMP? I'd be willing to take these off of their hands for them
wink.gif

Hehehe, they are sweet indeed! I think you can contact Tomas Philip from GMP. He's the one who I've been working with on the loan program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back