German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #121 of 266
  I actually got a reply today. They just forgot to send me the tracking number. They are on the way 
popcorn.gif

Private shipping from another country would probably cost an arm and a leg if you want tracking and insurance. Which you want :) Thanks for the offer though!

Well I would suggest regular Belgian post (gives tracking number too) which doesn't really cost much since you are also in Eu and pretty much next door but anyway you cans are on their way to come to you I hope you can enjoy them as much as we do. If I didn't jump to the high end ciems, I would still carry them with me everywhere. They are surviving any damage anyway
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #122 of 266
The maestros arrived today! 

i have not had all that much time to listen to them but my first impressions is as follows.

Much more comfortable then i first thought!

Cable is sturdu as ( insert F word ) ... This cable is one of many features that i would love if i was doing pro audio. It will last forever and ever...And probably even longer then that. It is heavy though. It has to be. What i really don´t like about the cable is that it is quite springy. The plug is just a beast.. Again it will last a gazillion years!

Sound is flat, well articulate and very fast. Great treble and the mids are not hiding. They are just where they need to be. Bass is rock solid and again, very firm and fast! Depth is good.. I don't think they lack bass.

At first i thought  they where a bit nasal and splashy, might have gotten used to it by now but i feel like its more smooth sounding. I´m going to swap sources as i go. For now the zigis Cmoy and a 5 dollar ele EL D00 sounds very very good. This dac is a must have if you ask me. But that´s another story. 

Finishing off with a photo.. People tend to like those :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #123 of 266
Excellent!
Enjoy them, they are a great headphone, I've got the DT880's on right now on the Deck. (Picture in the DT880 thread.) :D

The little tube amp in the picture does a great job with the 8.300's as well.

A big welcome to another Club Member!

May 1, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #125 of 266
Excellent!
Enjoy them, they are a great headphone, I've got the DT880's on right now on the Deck. (Picture in the DT880 thread.)
biggrin.gif

The little tube amp in the picture does a great job with the 8.300's as well.

A big welcome to another Club Member!

Yeah.. Monster munch on the pad :wink: I saw that on instagram. 8.35D is just 35 ohm. I have never had the pleasure to enjoy tubes, Feels like its ment for 300 ohm + otherwise there will be massive noise. Again i´m just speculating here :)

May 1, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #126 of 266
Yeah.. Monster munch on the pad :wink: I saw that on instagram. 8.35D is just 35 ohm. I have never had the pleasure to enjoy tubes, Feels like its ment for 300 ohm + otherwise there will be massive noise. Again i´m just speculating here :)
The OTL tubes amps are made for high impedance cans, but the hybrids like the Little Dot I+ (Tube & Opamp) are designed for low impedance headphones.
But that is another rabbit hole, wallet drainer... Stay out of the Little Dot Tube Rolling Thread, especially the last 200 pages, your pocket will thank you. :D

I love the sound of tubes, that second order harmonic distortion that tubes provide is very enjoyable to our ears.
:beerchug:

May 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #127 of 266
The OTL tubes amps are made for high impedance cans, but the hybrids like the Little Dot I+ (Tube & Opamp) are designed for low impedance headphones.
But that is another rabbit hole, wallet drainer... Stay out of the Little Dot Tube Rolling Thread, especially the last 200 pages, your pocket will thank you.
biggrin.gif

I love the sound of tubes, that second order harmonic distortion that tubes provide is very enjoyable to our ears.
beerchug.gif

So here in head fi you are suggesting people to keep their wallet safe?

Blasphemy!

tongue_smile.gif

May 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #128 of 266

So here in head fi you are suggesting people to keep their wallet safe?

Blasphemy!

tongue_smile.gif

No heresy here... just the old proverb, "Forewarned is Forearmed" might be advised. 
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #129 of 266
The Bravo Ocean tube amp works fine with the GMP 8.35 D, but there is a little noise. They sure do like a tube amp, or a good amp with a little bass boost (only because i use the velour pads which do take a little body away)

May 6, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #130 of 266
GMP 8.300 D's with the LittleDot MK IV (modified for a 6SL7GT driver)

David Hazeltine Trio's "Impromptu" in Chesky Binaural 24/192.

May 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #131 of 266
Tonight's listening session, FiiO X3 in DAC mode > Miu Audio MKTP-1 > GMP 8.300 D Pro's. The 12BH7A "Red Tip" tube provides a nice rich sound for Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" on the GMP's, very musical.

:beerchug:

May 26, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #132 of 266
Yeah the GMP's love a good tube amp. The GMP 400 especially.

May 30, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #133 of 266
Tonight's listening session, FiiO X3 in DAC mode > Miu Audio MKTP-1 > GMP 8.300 D Pro's. The 12BH7A "Red Tip" tube provides a nice rich sound for Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" on the GMP's, very musical.

beerchug.gif

That is really a beautiful photo!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #135 of 266
A short history of the company can be found here:
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=PMB_/_MB_Quart

I managed to obtain a pair of headphones from 1985 when the company's name was MB.
The headphones are the MB PMB 45 II.

As you can see they look a lot like some current headphones from German Maestro, except for he headband strap.
My impressions can be found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/420490/show-us-your-vintage-headphones/1200#post_10620320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back