German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #91 of 266
A/B'd my recabled vs stock, but there were difference apart from the cable on the other GMP 400 I was using. They were the older version which don't have the same dust protector on the inside of the pads, and also the holes on the grill are slightly different sizes.

My recabled pair sound slightly fuller but also more laid back, the stock sound more aggressive but slightly hotter up top. The difference may be down to the slightly thicker dust protector on the newer versions (mine). Either way, I prefer my cable over stock because of the shorter (6ft) length and also better ergonomics.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #93 of 266
Very linear and accurate, also quick and right yet full when called for. Most might say they are bass light but depends on amplification. If you pair them with a good tube amp they shine, also with the iFi iCan and iTube they sound excellent as you have a bass boost on the iCan which works wonders.

I love the GMP 400 personally.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #94 of 266
GMP 400 review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702808/review-german-maestro-gmp-400

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #95 of 266
  GMP 400 review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702808/review-german-maestro-gmp-400

Cool review, I also like your test songs, many of them are in my archives too
happy_face1.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #96 of 266
I try to use lots of different genres. Massive Attack - Angel is such a great track, deep pulsating bass line, crisp highs and also a very heavy instrumented part. Great test track.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #97 of 266
I try to use lots of different genres. Massive Attack - Angel is such a great track, deep pulsating bass line, crisp highs and also a very heavy instrumented part. Great test track.

It is also one of my test tracks too, as I am too familiar with the song and it helps too see many things in the monitors. The song is hell of a low end test for example. Separation is also important and the highs 'sometimes' can be sibilant depending on the headphone, so all and all, I agree, it provides a nice selection
happy_face1.gif

You know what is the only bad thing about German Maestro products? Once you move up to the high end gear, they don't get much use anymore. I absolutely love their products, in their price ranges, they punch way above and rival more pricy headphones. But now I use ciem (SE5way) unfortunately my GMP 8.35D doesn't get any listening time. I miss its wow effect, still even compared to the SE5way, it stands strong. Very accurate, very clean reproduction of the music.

If I wasn't a poor master student, I would keep them with me for years since they are my first "serious" audio purchase.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #98 of 266
I see where you're coming from, I spent a week with the T1, loved them so much but till I can afford them, the GMP 400 are staying, they do punch well above their price, I find the Sennheiser HD650 overrated. I much prefer the GMP 400 as it sounds cleaner and quicker, which is good as I listen to a lot of rock.

In ears always have a place in my collection, westone UM Pro30 great for out and about, get home on go the GMP 400. GMP 8.35 D perfect for when Im too lazy to take iems.

Then the piano forte X-G for easy listening with well recorded music. They are also staying for a long time. Review sample so I wouldn't sell them, and also I wouldn't just give away such a valuable pair of headphones, the fact that they are so unique and sound great with certain music warrants me keeping them.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #99 of 266
Just got my pair of MB Quart, Quart Phone 95 X's. As far as I can tell these are pretty much identical to the GMP 400 headphones. Great headphones, I am loving them so far. Super comfortable, super detailed and opend, but not fatiguing. I listen to these about 6 hours a day at work, and the are far superior to the superlux 688B I was using previously.

I agree that they might be consider just a little bass shy, but really not bad. It goes deep (30-40hz), its just not emphasized. If I want to bump with some pop or electronic I just throw on my XB500's for a while.

My only complaint so far is the massive coiled cord. What are others experiences with recabling these badboy's. I was thinking of running a set of thread locking 3.5mm female jacks inline leaving about 1/4" of cable.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #100 of 266
I recabled mine, but not with detachable cable:

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #101 of 266
My pair of GMP 250 is recabled with HD650 cable, though another Headfi-er did this for me.

525x525px-LL-dd898c3e_vbattach24822.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back