German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #76 of 266
... since no one else is posting here... I think German Maestro would have a winner here, at no new development cost of theirs, that they could sell for about 200 usd. I'd guess they would become filthy rich, selling these again. Accurate headstage (you can point at individual instruments in live classical recordings), somewhat mid-centric, but airy, full range sound with fine deep bass (not as strong as the LCD2).

All with that amazing planar sound.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #77 of 266
Second the above.  You have me tempted by a couple of the current dynamic offerings now also. Guess they aren't TRENDY enough to get all the hype.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #78 of 266
The GMP 8.300 D Pro's have landed, I'll be busy with the stock and Velours for a while. I need to find a tube that has a nice sound with these, my current Triodes might be just a tad sharp, but I only have a few hours on the cans...

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #79 of 266
  The GMP 8.300 D Pro's have landed, I'll be busy with the stock and Velours for a while. I need to find a tube that has a nice sound with these, my current Triodes might be just a tad sharp, but I only have a few hours on the cans...

beerchug.gif

Congrats!

It took me a while with playing around with pads, damping material and amps to get the sound I wanted. But it was rewarding afterall.
See my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/german-maestro-gmp-8-300-d-professional-300-ohm-headphones/reviews/3666

The mids are slightly boosted, so an amp that does the same, like some tube amps, doens't help.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #80 of 266
Thanks Tiemen!

Your review and the 8.35 thread was the main reason I chose these over the beyerdynamic DT250 250Ω version.
TV getting too loud etc... is the exact same reason. 
biggrin.gif

I am going to swithch pads and connect them to the solid state this weekend when I have more time to play.
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #81 of 266
Jan 2, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #82 of 266

Does anyone have one of those, in pieces, to take a few photos of the inside of it (driver, baffle, cups... )? I am very curious about those, if they would function as spare parts for vintage PMB cans.... 

Those have the same drivers as the 8.35 just more open and airy, great hps. I had them on a loan program, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/438831/german-maestro-u-s-loan-program

Maybe Zombie_X have some inside photos of the drivers, I think he recable them.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #83 of 266
The 8.300 D's are sounding quite fine now, I found them very sharp out of the box. I had the velour pads on for a little while and it seemed to tame some of the sibilance out of them, but then reading the 8.35 thread (Great Thread BTW) I applied the tissue mod and installed my HM5 Pads. That sharp sibilance is gone, the bass has increased nicely and not overpowering, mid's don't seem to be affected by this at all. I was not looking forward to have to apply EQ to these but that has been put on hold. Very Nice!

Now to do something about that chunk of cord they have attached as a headphone cable, seriously I have power cords with a smaller gauge than this Beastie... 
biggrin.gif

Anyhow I have them plugged into the Little Dot MK IV with a nice Soviet 6Н2П-ЕВ in my 6DJ8 adapter rig. A sweet tone, great isolation and neutrality, they are hitting all the check boxes I was looking for and with the HM5 pads we are talking pure comfort! I wonder what these would be like with Alpha Pads or LCD Pads? 

A few pictures for the thread with the HM5 pads installed.

And the 6Н2П-ЕВ in my LD's 6DJ8 Adapter...

beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #84 of 266
I'm glad you got a configuration to enjoy the GMP 8.300. Damping material (I use velour pieces instead of paper), pads and amp do make a difference.
Now I want to try those HM5 pads, heard so many good things. Zach Mehrbach is using them on his ZMF.

And the cord, well I never will have to fear to break them when I step on them accidently.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #85 of 266
  I'm glad you got a configuration to enjoy the GMP 8.300. Damping material (I use velour pieces instead of paper), pads and amp do make a difference.
Now I want to try those HM5 pads, heard so many good things. Zach Mehrbach is using them on his ZMF.

And the cord, well I never will have to fear to break them when I step on them accidently.

Yes I am enjoying these immensely!
I'll have to check the wife's quilting stash for some velour pieces and yeah you'll never have to worry about the cord breaking, just it pulling gear off the shelf.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #86 of 266
I might put my first audiophile purchase, GMP8.35D, on sale. Unfortunately I need money and I have something better (Spiral Ear SE5way ciem) so my GMP8.35D just stays in the box, not getting much listening time.

I was actually thinking about keeping it for years as a memory of my first real purchase and absolutely wonderful sound however, doing a master abroad is difficult.

I still say, they are one of the best cans at -200 bucks list. Too bad that I will have to let it go.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #88 of 266
I have the GMP 8.35 D with Velour pads and the GMP 400 (recabled)

Also when recabling i killed a driver (first time i've killed a driver recabling) and they promptly sent me 2 new drivers. So if anyone needs a new GMP 400 driver, i have 1 spare. Also have 1 spare baffle.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #90 of 266
Ive got pretty good at recabling/DIY cables. The German Maestros are easy to work with, I destroyed the first driver when cleaning the flux i think, with an old toothbrush i must have hit the voice coil wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back