German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #46 of 266
I can post impressions when I ab them. The alpha pads seem a slightly too small actually but sound leakage is still minimal though better with originals. I will probably save them for a t50 modd though.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #47 of 266
Man I am nowhere near a seasoned audiophile or anything but these are my humble impressions:

I can tell that acoustically, the 8.35d hp's benefit from the alpha pads. Its like you can hear what it looks like it would do which is:

- Provide space from the ear so the sound doesnt feel as sharp or upfront and a little airier.
- Bigger softer pads providing better acoustic value, as the sound travels through the pads it is able to breathe and not get trapped so I hear more details. I bet the pads of the philips x1 is what helps it in this aspect so much.
- The bass is slightly more textured but just as strong and slightly more felt.
- less isolation but not marginally as they still keep their outstanding isolating value.

Other headphones usually dont have pads as flat as the german maestro 8.35.d. I wasn't expecting to notice the difference. I do prefer them sonically with the alpha pads but I don't think these are the home for the alpha pads for me because my main use for them is portable and studio recording. Both areplaces where I don't need alpha pads. Portable use would make me scared of trashing 60 dollar pads in everyday use. These are definetly the everyday use kind of headphone. For studio use they do best without the pads as well because sessions can get sweaty.  

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #48 of 266
^
Thanks for the impressions.
Now a picture of your GMP with Alpha pads would be nice
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #50 of 266

Iphone pics
Quote:
sure will do

here goes a few. maybe too many lol

Though the alpha pads look bigger than the 8.35d cups, they take a little stretching to get on because of the circumference of the cups plus a different shape; oval vs circle. It kinda makes me cringe doing it. I hope they go back to normal when I get some t50's.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #51 of 266
Thanks for the photo's. Looks better than expected.
I think I'll try them when the Beyer leather pads on my GMP 8.300 needs to be replaced (they are taped and glued already).

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #53 of 266
Quote:
have you heard the 8.35 d. I always wondered how they sounded compared to the 8.00

No, as far as I know there's only one Headfi-er who compared the two. His (short) impressions are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed/330#post_7934107

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #54 of 266
They had some 8.4d's at the War Museum in Ottawa(Ontario). I attempted to break them because Id heard about their durability...not happening. As for the sound, it's hard to tell if they sounded any good when you're listening to a man drone on about the Boer War.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #55 of 266
Just got the GMP 400! It sounds awesome! I've only had them for about an hour but I'm really impressed with these so far.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #57 of 266
Waiting for the 8.300's and velour pads to arrive from GM...

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #59 of 266
Nice combo with the alphapads grizzly!

I also tried this, and I did found that the sound was improved. The thing about the alpha pads: they are meant to make the maddogs sound a bit more V-shaped. And this is what they do with the gmp's too. The sound becomes much warmer (especially compared to the ovals), much nicer timbre, however there is a peak at around 10khz which induces sibilance, bad. The gmp 8.35D has fairly loud treble for my taste, and the alpha pads made them a bit too sharp for me. Which could be fixed pretty easy with EQ, but I sold the alpha pads nonetheless 
tongue.gif

But man, does the gmp 8.35D look luxurious with the alpha pads...

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #60 of 266
Before I got the GMP 400 I found a few reviews online (not on head-fi) and I'm really surprised that none of them mentioned the bass. These are commonly compared the DT880 and HD600/HD650 and I'm surprised that I never heard it mentioned that they have more bass than either of those cans do. They also have more bass than the K712. It isn't too much bass but I consider the bass on those 3 'phones to be quite neutral so in comparison the GMP 400's bass definitely sounds north of neutral. I actually expected them to be a bit bass-light based on the descriptions I've read and the fact that there is virtually no clamping force and the cups are attached to the headband via elastic strings. Yet there's a remarkable amount of bass impact! If you want something similar to an HD600 or HD650 but you need more bass, the GMP 400 should be right up your alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back