German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #136 of 266
Nice review and teardown in the vintage thread Tiemen. How are you liking the HM5 pads?

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #137 of 266
Nice review and teardown in the vintage thread Tiemen. How are you liking the HM5 pads?

Thanks.
The HM5 pads became annoying on the DT150, but on the PMB 45 II they are rather comfy. Maybe because of the lesser clamp and the fact that they are not closed back.
The HM5 pads have a tendency to collapse with too much clamp because of being so soft.

I'm beginning to fall in love more and more with the PMB 45 II. Their mids are addictive. Full, round, lush, just the way I like it.
Too bad they are not blocking any outside noise.
I think it's a trademark of MB, MB Quart and German Maestro having good mids. It's a pity they are so underrated. Any AKG fan would love these as well I guess.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #138 of 266
I had to recable my 8.35D.. The coiled cable was way to heavy and the coil itself is so high up that it does not rest on the desk when using it with my computer :D Still, cable is sturdy as hell so in a professional environment it will last you a life time.

The result. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #139 of 266
I've got 2 mini 4 pin XLR's to mod my GMP 8.35D's with

Then I can use any audeze/4 pin mini XLR cables with them :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #140 of 266
I've got 2 mini 4 pin XLR's to mod my GMP 8.35D's with

Then I can use any audeze/4 pin mini XLR cables with them :)
That would be excellent as I have the same setup on my DT880's.

Would you post some pictures to this thread when you remove the drivers so we can see the layout inside the GMP cups.

Thanks!
:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #141 of 266
Its a rather basic layout really. There are no screws to get the baffle and driver out, it´s just pressed in there. also it might be fiddly to do a full recable with the headband etc. But if you are a believer in cables, you have to do it all the way. Would love to see someone take the plunge. I want to see how it looks :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #142 of 266
Thanks Arvan!

I might just have to take a quick peek and see, I don't know about putting my DT880 cable on them as that would take the portability away... but I have some Lemo connectors here that I have been dying to use and I might just shorten up the long straight stock cable by a few dozen feet... :D

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #143 of 266
I will be going for dual entry instead of single sided.

The headband is easy to get off actually.

Drivers just press out. Lots of foam inside for damping.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #145 of 266
i was thinking of going for removable double sided. Fitting a jack in the cups is no problem, would actually turn out very good! Need to source some new things to solder 
blink.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #146 of 266
Well I shortened up the long straight cable on the 8.300 D's with my old DT880 Pro coiled one, this makes these much more portable and easier to manage.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #148 of 266
Looks neat! Is the cable heavy? I´t was the main reason i changed cables on my pair. 
Thanks!

It is a bit heavy, but I'll put up with that for a while till I can get some cable stock in and make a nice 6' braided one. I think some litz wire sleeved in Type I Paracord would make the cable just like a shoelace and that would be perfect. Extremely light, soft and flexible with an easy fall to it.

The stock straight cable is just so long and heavy duty, a great cable that you could roll chair wheels over without worry but not very portable friendly.

Amazing plastic on these, bend it a bit and pop the driver out, I spent more time putting the pad back on. :D

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #149 of 266
They are just so sturdy! If i was a pro field sound engineer or a dj.. This is THE headphone to get! ****.. it might be hard to find a way to replace these when the " new can bonanza " strikes again :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #150 of 266
Sigh... I'm dreading the "New Can Bonanza", too much want those and those and those! I still have too many on the old list I want, GMP 450's, Q40's and T50RP's for example...

Damn this hobby. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back