Geniuses or people with 130+ IQ only!
Oct 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #46 of 96

Quote:
I think the answer to #1 could hide the secret of the Universe...

may I ask at members who attempt to answer, if not random, kindly to include a short/simple explanation to why it is, so that I/we may get it too, if possible

sorry your answer makes less sense to me, than the riddle itself. I can see there are specific patterns in the way the dots are placed, but I can't figure out how the ones outside are + and the others -.
if anything, personally, I'd rule out G, and H,B,C too. would you mind explaining further

Lol, Sorry about that, maybe I should have made myself a little clearer. The first 3 on top and the 3 in the middle are there for you to kind of know what the pattern is. If you pay attention, you see that you have to do the math horizontally and looking at it again, you could also solve it vertically. The first one on top -1 + -1 = -2, the middle one -1 + 3 = 2 and again the last one -2 + 2 = 0. Get it now? Thought it was actually pretty straightforward. I have no clue how I decided to make the ones outside + and the ones inside -....it just works for me and seems like the most logical choice if you ask me. 

As a side note. You can't get too distracted by the visual aspect too much. That's how you tend to get "stumped," If you relied solely on the visual pattern and expected, for instance, one dot to end up on the same place on the next circle you would never solve the problem.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #47 of 96
Quote:
Can you imagine waking up to 1300 women yelling at you and calling you worthless? 

It sure felt like 1,300 with Crazy Rita.

Quote:
I think the answer to #1 could hide the secret of the Universe...

may I ask at members who attempt to answer, if not random, kindly to include a short/simple explanation to why it is, so that I/we may get it too, if possible

sorry your answer makes less sense to me, than the riddle itself. I can see there are specific patterns in the way the dots are placed, but I can't figure out how the ones outside are + and the others -.
if anything, personally, I'd rule out G, and H,B,C too. would you mind explaining further

I'm not sure about the positive/negative mathematical answer to #1.

My take is that #1 is a rotating sphere and the dots change position as it turns.  I haven't figured out which way it is spinning and how many dots are on the surface, though.

There's usually some sort of conceptual twist to tests like these.  You need to make the leap and then the rest comes out.  Maybe I should try drawing spots on a ping pong ball and turn it around.

I'm not sure what the gimmicks are for the other three - I'll take a harder look at them.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #50 of 96
I'll take a non-conventional guess at #1: The answer is 'G'.

It is supposed to be read diagonally, lower-left to upper-right; selecting G (nothing) causes it to read: 2, 3, 4, 3, 2.

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #51 of 96

Quote:
Lol, Sorry about that, maybe I should have made myself a little clearer. The first 3 on top and the 3 in the middle are there for you to kind of know what the pattern is. If you pay attention, you see that you have to do the math horizontally and looking at it again, you could also solve it vertically. The first one on top -1 + -1 = -2, the middle one -1 + 3 = 2 and again the last one -2 + 2 = 0. Get it now? Thought it was actually pretty straightforward. I have no clue how I decided to make the ones outside + and the ones inside -....it just works for me and seems like the most logical choice if you ask me. 

As a side note. You can't get too distracted by the visual aspect too much. That's how you tend to get "stumped," If you relied solely on the visual pattern and expected, for instance, one dot to end up on the same place on the next circle you would never solve the problem.

thank you very much for the clarification. Gah.. I'm kinda disappointed - I wished the answer was somewhat more complicated. but then everything looks easier when you know how to do it. well done

Quote:
I'm not sure about the positive/negative mathematical answer to #1.

My take is that #1 is a rotating sphere and the dots change position as it turns.  I haven't figured out which way it is spinning and how many dots are on the surface, though.

There's usually some sort of conceptual twist to tests like these.  You need to make the leap and then the rest comes out.  Maybe I should try drawing spots on a ping pong ball and turn it around.

I'm not sure what the gimmicks are for the other three - I'll take a harder look at them.

LOL

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #52 of 96
4 seems to be F to me.

There is 3 of each color for each length. So:

3x 3 dark gray
3x 3 light gray
2x 3 black <---

3x 2 black
3x 2 light gray
2x 2 dark gray <----

3x 1 black
3x 1 dark gray
2x 1 light gray <----

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #53 of 96

Quote:
I'll take a non-conventional guess at #1: The answer is 'G'.

It is supposed to be read diagonally, lower-left to upper-right; selecting G (nothing) causes it to read: 2, 3, 4, 3, 2.

I agree that the answer is G but, I fail to see how you could possibly come up with the solution considering there is no 4 dotted circle if that's what you're basing it on. I only see, if going diagonally 2,3,2....Where is this 4? are you including the circle?

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #54 of 96

Well said Nick.
Quote:
300 sets of in-laws
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #56 of 96
This is a strange thread. I've never really liked the IQ scale anyway. So much of intelligence is learned IMO, much more than people think. I've taken online IQ tests and gotten everything from 114 to 182 
eek.gif
. Pretty sure it's under 182 
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #57 of 96
Questions like #1 bother me. The question is very simple once you are told to think of it in terms of numeric values. I'm not sure if the instinct to look at in terms of numbers is really a function of intelligence- but rather the types of problems one solves on a day to day basis. I would imagine an engineer's first instinct would be to look at the problem in terms of numbers. A lawyer- not so much. 

It reminds me of the pedals around the roses game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petals_Around_the_Rose

I took an IQ test in the 3rd grade. I am told I got up on the table and sang "La Cucaracha"' at some point during the test. Somehow that got me put in the gifted program 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #58 of 96
I think F is the answer for number 4.
The methodology I used is outlined below but am quite sure the solution to the problem is easier than what the explanation might make it out to be.

I worked it out by considering that there is a large 3x3 square comprising 9 sets of smaller 3x3 squares that are each made up of 9 blocks of varying colors.
Each of the individual 3x3 squares must have an assemblage of 3 blocks of a particular color aligned either horizontally (rows) or vertically (columns) and can be successfully identified by 3 components. The first component tells the color: (Black(B), Dark Grey(DG)), or Light Grey(LG), the second indicates whether its a column(C) or a Row(R), and the third component represents the number(location) of the column or row for that particular 3x3 square:

(B,   C, 3)      (DG, R, 1)   (LG, R, 2)
(LG, R, 2)    (B,   R, 2)   (DG, C, 2)
(DG, R, 2)   (LG, C, 1)    (B,   R, 3)

Color: The 3 colors must appear once in each of the 3 rows and 3 columns of the large 3x3 square. Thus, to complete the last item in row 3 and column 3, the color must be black(B). Therefore, choices A, C and H can be eliminated.
Column or Row: The black color bars of the missing 3x3 square must be an R (Row) because each column and each row must add up to: 2R+C( adding the second components). In addition, adding the numbers of the third component of the three rows should always add up to 6. ie 3+1+2=2+2+2=2+1+3=6. This eliminates choices B, E and G leaving only D and F as possible answers.

Count how many 2 block assemblages of each color appear in the large 3x3 square:
3 x 2B = 6B
3 x 2LG=6LG
2 x 2DG=4DG ( Thus, the missing  square must have a 2 block DG in order to have 6DG. ie 666! haha

This then identifies F as the correct answer because it has 2blocks of DG, with 3blocks of B as the 3rd row.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #59 of 96

Quote:
I think F is the answer for number 4.
The methodology I used is outlined below but am quite sure the solution to the problem is easier than what the explanation might make it out to be.

I worked it out by considering that there is a large 3x3 square comprising 9 sets of smaller 3x3 squares that are each made up of 9 blocks of varying colors.
Each of the individual 3x3 squares must have an assemblage of 3 blocks of a particular color aligned either horizontally (rows) or vertically (columns) and can be successfully identified by 3 components. The first component tells the color: (Black(B), Dark Grey(DG)), or Light Grey(LG), the second indicates whether its a column(C) or a Row(R), and the third component represents the number(location) of the column or row for that particular 3x3 square:

(B,   C, 3)      (DG, R, 1)   (LG, R, 2)
(LG, R, 2)    (B,   R, 2)   (DG, C, 2)
(DG, R, 2)   (LG, C, 1)    (B,   R, 3)

Color: The 3 colors must appear once in each of the 3 rows and 3 columns of the large 3x3 square. Thus, to complete the last item in row 3 and column 3, the color must be black(B). Therefore, choices A, C and H can be eliminated.
Column or Row: The black color bars of the missing 3x3 square must be an R (Row) because each column and each row must add up to: 2R+C( adding the second components). In addition, adding the numbers of the third component of the three rows should always add up to 6. ie 3+1+2=2+2+2=2+1+3=6. This eliminates choices B, E and G leaving only D and F as possible answers.

Count how many 2 block assemblages of each color appear in the large 3x3 square:
3 x 2B = 6B
3 x 2LG=6LG
2 x 2DG=4DG ( Thus, the missing  square must have a 2 block DG in order to have 6DG. ie 666! haha

This then identifies F as the correct answer because it has 2blocks of DG, with 3blocks of B as the 3rd row.

Beat you to the punch :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back