Geniuses or people with 130+ IQ only!
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #76 of 96
Well there must be some objective truth to intelligence. Come on, you must know people who are just plain unintelligent. I agree that it is very difficult to accurately measure someone's intelligence and that IQ ratings are far from perfect, but it is certain that not everyone has the same intelligence.

Quote:
"People who place any merit in IQ tests are those with little intelligence at all."

Straight-up. Intelligence is perception and after all it doesn't make you a better person. Additionally, half of the people in Mensa have no lives. I can vouch for that. Einstein was nowhere near the most intuitive or revolutionary thinker in history. How bout we use other examples =]

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #77 of 96
"Well there must be some objective truth to intelligence. Come on, you must know people who are just plain unintelligent. I agree that it is very difficult to accurately measure someone's intelligence and that IQ ratings are far from perfect, but it is certain that not everyone has the same intelligence."

Yes, I do marvel at the state of some people's "intelligence". But perhaps it's simply the way a person's brain develops in an environment and partly due to angiogenesis. What I really disprove of is how people think they're superior to others just because they were initially born with greater mental capacities. You can't help but feel sorry for the hundreds of thousands of genetically deficient individuals. That's why I think IQ tests are absolute bull. The only people who would take them are insecure or perhaps curious. Once again it's all perception and subjective.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #78 of 96
One story cracketh me up...

The New York Times:
YORKTOWN, Va., Feb. 3 - Three years ago, in the case of a Virginia man named Daryl R. Atkins, the United States Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional to execute the mentally dumb. But Mr. Atkins's recent test scores could eliminate him from that group.

His scores have shot up, a defense expert said, thanks to the mental workout his participation in years of litigation gave him.

The Supreme Court, which did not decide whether Mr. Atkins was dumb, noted that he scored 59 on an I.Q. test in 1998. The cutoff for retardation in Virginia is 70.

A defense expert who retested Mr. Atkins last year found that his I.Q. was 74. In court here on Thursday, prosecutors said their expert's latest test yielded 76.

Mr. Atkins, a slight, balding 27-year-old in an orange jumpsuit, sat slumped with his chin on his hand as lawyers argued about whether his intelligence was low enough to spare him from execution. In 1996, he and another man abducted Eric Nesbitt, 21, an airman from Langley Air Force Base, forced him to withdraw money from an A.T.M. and then shot him eight times, killing him.

He will be one of the first death row inmates to have a jury trial on the question of whether he is dumb. The jury's decision will determine whether his life will be spared.

Mr. Atkins's more recent scores should be discounted, a clinical psychologist who tested him in 1998 and 2004 said, because they are the result of "a forced march towards increased mental stimulation" provided by the case itself.

"Oddly enough, because of his constant contact with the many lawyers that worked on his case," the psychologist, Dr. Evan S. Nelson, wrote in a report in November, "Mr. Atkins received more intellectual stimulation in prison than he did during his late adolescence and early adulthood. That included practicing his reading and writing skills, learning about abstract legal concepts and communicating with professionals."

In helping put an end to the death penalty for the mentally dumb, then, Mr. Atkins could have ensured his own execution.

Rest of the article -> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/national/06atkins.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&position=

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #79 of 96
I was one of the "gifted and talented" in school. Genrally my IQ scores have been around 135, but was scoring up around 150-165 after taking a class on test taking strategy, and having countless tests under my belt.
Unfortunately, I have a massive blind spot for higher mathematics. Geometry and trig I did fine because there's a drawing to look at. I barely made passing grades in Algebra, Algebra 2 and Functions. Yet in accounting, I was a rockstar. That was the easiest and most enjoyable class I ever took. Go figure.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #80 of 96

Quote:
That's why I think IQ tests are absolute bull. The only people who would take them are insecure or perhaps curious. Once again it's all perception and subjective.

I think it's that intelligence tests are just one tool used to psychologically evaluate someone.  It only informs a trained professional about one aspect of a person's life.  They do not have no value but they are not the last word on a person's intelligence, potential or personality.  Most people don't elect to take an IQ test.  There is usually some underlying problem and the test is used as part of the diagnosis. 

For example, a child, who otherwise seems bright, isn't doing well at school.  An IQ test is administered so a baseline can be established and a course of action can be decided.  IQ score high?  The kid goes into a more excellerated program in school and the diagnosis is that the kid was bored or wasn't challenged.  They continue to watch him in his new environment. 

IQ score low?  That helps explain the problem and the child is given some remedial help.  Or the score is "average" and other sources for the problem can be explored.

However, if someone does well on an intelligence test and thinks that's some kind of accomplishment, then yes, that is bull.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #82 of 96
As a Bachelor of psychology, I am more appealed by the background image
biggrin.gif
. Therefore, I can't take this test seriously
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #88 of 96
Hey Einstein. IQ 130 is hardly a genius. 97 percentile, or Top 2.5% (1/40 could score this). Even I did. Maybe moderately gifted.

Einstein territory is about IQ 160+ Or 99.99% percentile. or only 1/11,000 to 1/33,000 could score this.

For an IQ of about 190 is about 99.9999% or only about 1/110,000 to 1/1,100,000 could score this.

I provide ranges where the lower Weschler and Standford-Binet provide lower and upper limits of the ranges, respectively.

The tests are designed so that the mean score is 100. Some tests use a bell cure with 16 standard deviations where others are 15 SD, hence differences in interpreting results.

OK, keep on plugging on.

GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back