Geniuses or people with 130+ IQ only!
Oct 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Answer and explain why you choose the answer. 
biggrin.gif
 good luck!

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 96
I have been forced to take three ridiculously long IQ tests in my life, giving me IQs of 130, 135, and 140. I now hate these questions with a passion, but what the hell, I'll give them a try when I'm no longer bored out of my mind reading Head-Fi in sociology class.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 96
I sure hope we get to see the answers sometime!

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 96

Quote:
I have been forced to take three ridiculously long IQ tests in my life, giving me IQs of 130, 135, and 140. I now hate these questions with a passion, but what the hell, I'll give them a try when I'm no longer bored out of my mind reading Head-Fi in sociology class.

Real/official IQ tests, or internet ones?  It's not valid unless it's the actual official IQ test.  Just asking because 140 is Einstein territory.  Not that you're not smart, I have no idea, just usually when someone talks about really high numbers like that, it was one of the internet ones...  But who knows, maybe you're Einstein's long lost cousin!  Or just genius.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 96
Quote:
Real/official IQ tests, or internet ones?  It's not valid unless it's the actual official IQ test.  Just asking because 140 is Einstein territory.  Not that you're not smart, I have no idea, just usually when someone talks about really high numbers like that, it was one of the internet ones...  But who knows, maybe you're Einstein's long lost cousin!  Or just genius.

Where could one find "the actual official IQ test"? I guess you're referring to MENSA?
tongue.gif

I've taken internet IQ tests as well out of curiousity and got scores in the 140s and 150s so I'm pretty sure they're bunk.
wink.gif

Although I have taken standardized tests and scored in the top 1 or 2%. I attribute part of that to my uncanny test-taking/guessing ability which I guess is akin to intellect. I like to think of it as BS'ing my way through unfamiliar knowledge though.

The types of problems as in this thread though usually just leave me scratching my head though. /modesty
tongue.gif

Yes I  am a  jerk and  my  grammar does suck, I  know.

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 96

Quote:

140 is hardly Einstein territory. 140 is about the 99.somethingth percentile. There are a lot of people higher than that. For simplicity's sake, it can be said that 100 is the median score. I would say a "genius" has at least a 160 IQ (Which happens to be the IQ of my uncle.) If we say that it is the 99.5th percentile, then there are 661 people on this board that have an IQ similar to or higher than mine! I actually think that this board probably has a higher than average IQ as well, meaning that that number is likely much higher.

Two real IQ tests: one school administered, another for entry into an honor program. The silly internet one (the one for the high IQ society) actually gave me the lowest score, though I took the more "difficult" variety.

I'm not exactly the worlds greatest thinker. I have no plans to be Einstein or any other great scientist or philosopher. I'm just a lowly student at your average private university (admittedly in an honors program and with their "Presidential Scholarship"). There are a lot of people out there.

Anyway, I understand the skepticism. Discussion of IQs is a touchy subject, partially due to the difficulty in measuring them accurately and their questionably valid relationship to real world intelligence. I find myself being the world's biggest idiot on a daily basis. And, after all is said and done, I'm 18. I bet in real life I'm not nearly as usefully intelligent as a 50 year old with a 115 IQ. That said, things do come easily to me. I ranked among the top few high-school age cellists in my state without much practice at all: and after all that, I'm not a music major! (For some perspective, I should say that the person that was seated (placed) above me went to the New England Conservatory and the one behind went to Juilliard, so I'm fairly proud of that. Maybe I should have gone into music, I'm terrible at this computer science stuff 
wink_face.gif

Also, the OP's questions are hard! I'll keep thinking about them though.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 96
"Real" intelligence tests should be adminstered by a licensed psychologist in a controlled, private, one-on-one environment.  Intelligence is measured by the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale.

WAIS tests were originally developed by David Weschler and first published in the 1950s and has been revised over the years.  It is now publised by the media and education company Pearson.

Any other test would not be considered an accurate representation of intelligence, at least according to modern psychologists.  The actual benefit and/or accuracy of these tests has of course been debated.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 96

Quote:
"Real" intelligence tests should be adminstered by a licensed psychologist in a controlled, private, one-on-one environment.  Intelligence is measured by the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale.

WAIS tests were originally developed by David Weschler and first published in the 1950s and has been revised over the years.  It is now publised by the media and education company Pearson.

Any other test would not be considered an accurate representation of intelligence, at least according to modern psychologists.  The actual benefit and/or accuracy of these tests has of course been debated.

And I bet that far less than the 0.5% of people with 140+ IQs have ever done that test 
wink_face.gif
. In an ideal world that would be an excellent test. The difficulty with that test is in determining statistics, since the people most likely to take that test already have atypical intelligence levels.

For anyone who is interested in getting even less scientific, I just plugged my Reading/Math SAT score into a trend-based SAT to IQ converter, and it came up with 146. I'd say that's a bit optimistic, but I guess it's not too far off from the test that put me at 140.

If you care, my scores were 700 on math and 720 on reading, which was the 99th percentile the year I took it. I'm sure Head-Fi attracts a higher than average number of intelligent people anyway.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 96

Quote:

How about Stanford-Binet ? - that was the one we used in my masters degree in Occupational Psychology in the Psychometrics part, that was few years ago though. the problem with IQ tests is they are culturally bound, which is why we had all the horrible XXXXXX are less intelligent than YYYYYY debates back in the 1970s (Jensen/Eysenck) , amusingly Eysenck was for a long time a strong proponent of astrology...

Also people are differentially better at different types of cognitive activities, tests emphasise different types of "intelligence" - if your strongest skills match those of the test designer you are in luck...

My IQ is variously anywhere between 105 and 135, I have three advanced degrees (inc a Ph.D)  but the tests in this thread stump me completely
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 96

Quote:

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx
160 is huge....

Yes, that's why my standards for what constitutes a "genius" is high. That IQ and those statistics would mean there are about 27,500 geniuses in the US, which sounds about right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back