Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 15, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #976 of 1,620
I have posted this message in the discovery thread as well but reproduce it here:
Some may have seen my thoughts on the GK10. I was ambivalent about them. I have just stuck a pin into the vent beside the connector and at first it would not go in. I forced it in and now the vents are clear. The transformation in the sound was very noticeable. There is far more life in the sound now and the high frequencies are clear. If you are disappointed with the GK10 I urge you to try this, it certainly worked for me and now I am beginning to appreciate the potential of this IEM.
Wow! I just did this after reading your post, and it's completely transformed my set. The dull midrange is gone, and now the sound is very "alive". Thanks for sharing your finding.

Now it's time for me to get to know the real Geek.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #978 of 1,620
Wow! I just did this after reading your post, and it's completely transformed my set. The dull midrange is gone, and now the sound is very "alive". Thanks for sharing your finding.

Now it's time for me to get to know the real Geek.
You really need to thank @illumidata and his post in the discovery thread! (Post #59109). I had exactly the same experience, now it is time for some tip rolling!

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #980 of 1,620
I have settled on KZ Starlines and a Faaeal Hibiscus copper cable for my GK10, via a Hifi Walker H2 DAP and Fiio A5 amplifier (the GK10 really needs power). The detail retrieval is spot on, try this track for detail:

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #981 of 1,620
And try this one as well. Amazing percussion.
Bhakti Point, by Richard Burmer

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #982 of 1,620
Surprisingly, I might not have to attempt poking any holes on mine. Since, receiving my second pair for almost a week now, they sound way better than my first pair with deeper sub-bass (less MID-bass), better 3D imaging, and nicely extended and well-round upper details.

My first pair (which I returned) had more noticeable upper MID-bass and a defective right side piezo driver, which soon after presented a short on the rest of the drivers. This was the reason for returning them the first time around.

Now, they sound fluid and musically insane! I know they cost around $45 US dollars, but I'm still going to take care of them as a $300 US dollar pair unit. That's just me!

-Clear

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #983 of 1,620
Surprisingly, I might not have to attempt poking any holes on mine. Since, receiving my second pair for almost a week now, they sound way better than my first pair with deeper sub-bass (less MID-bass), better 3D imaging, and nicely extended and well-round upper details.

My first pair (which I returned) had more noticeable upper MID-bass and a defective right side piezo driver, which soon after presented a short on the rest of the drivers. This was the reason for returning them the first time around.

Now, they sound fluid and musically insane! I know they cost around $45 US dollars, but I'm still going to take care of them as a $300 US dollar pair unit. That's just me!

-Clear
Definitely QC issues then?

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #984 of 1,620
I didn’t pull the trigger on the GK10 due to QC issues. I may wait for the GK100 or future releases from this brand though. As much as others are enjoying these, it’s been nice tor read about the enthusiam and joy there is to be had at the $50 and under level. Brings me back to the Blon-BL03 hype train days, which wasn’t all that long ago but in IEM terms, it seems like 10 years ago or so.

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #985 of 1,620
I didn’t pull the trigger on the GK10 due to QC issues. I may wait for the GK100 or future releases from this brand though. As much as others are enjoying these, it’s been nice tor read about the enthusiam and joy there is to be had at the $50 and under level. Brings me back to the Blon-BL03 hype train days, which wasn’t all that long ago but in IEM terms, it seems like 10 years ago or so.
For sure, very happy for the many people who are getting great sound from the GK10 at a great price!

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #986 of 1,620
Definitely QC issues then?
I would say, yes...only for the first pair I returned, but the second pair was flawless! So, maybe they've been working on the QC issues right after the first complaint and first batch of returns. I can definitely speak for the one that I have now, and all I can say is that they are well worth it! Though they are light, the inner components makes the difference compared to many other IEM's at their price point. It's a rare mature sounding IEM for such a low price!

No regrets here!:point_up::wink:

-Clear

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #987 of 1,620
9F0B3B32-24D1-4F78-A70B-35D12E532D4F.jpeg

Burn in and output impedance

106C2A55-B212-4027-BBD3-D85650AC5006.jpeg

GK10 vs Aladdin

my theory is that some listeners don’t notice the midbass bloom as upper mids and treble are also proportionally elevated on the GK10.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #990 of 1,620
9F0B3B32-24D1-4F78-A70B-35D12E532D4F.jpeg
Burn in and output impedance

106C2A55-B212-4027-BBD3-D85650AC5006.jpeg
GK10 vs Aladdin

my theory is that some listeners don’t notice the midbass bloom as upper mids and treble are also proportionally elevated on the GK10.
The upper mids and treble are definitely somewhat elevated on my set, and although I'll happily acknowledge that iem's sometimes sound quite different to what measured response would suggest, my set don't sound much like your graph in the bass region, and I don't think it's the uppers masking anything.
I don't believe the set I have exhibits that amount of mid-bass boost, but I hear plenty of sub (FWIW).
At this point I think it's safe to say that there are different sounding sets out there.

At first I was thinking of getting a second set, then there was the reports of quite different impressions, hmmm.
Then some possible reasons/remedies, which changed my mind again. Then there was the GK100 announcement, so I thought I'd wait for that. Then it emerged that the 100 would have a different driver schema, which made me think "hmmm, maybe not the 100 then, it seems it'll be a completely different iem". Then the cheaper model got hammered by a couple of folk which gave me further doubts, now I'm back to considering a second GK10, but the differing graphs, and impressions has me back to thinking I should just stick with the cards I've got.
This is no train, its a rollercoaster! 😱 lol.

I think I'll wait until we have some reports of the 100 before biting.

Unless I'm weak, I do really like the 10........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back