Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 18, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #1,006 of 1,620
I have both & as much as I like the Tri-i3...I have several sets I'd choose over the i3. Invariably I'd choose GK10 over all others in my collection...imho.
Minimal shell weight - perfect seal - zero cold metal contact - higher end 3D holophonic performance - are the killer Geek features for me in comparison! :)
on your set up which one has more bass quantity? and better sound resolution?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,007 of 1,620
on your set up which one has more bass quantity? and better sound resolution?
I use the balanced output from Sony NW-ZX300a & a 4-core Kinboofi cable. The GK10's require a tad more boost in the sub-bass (which would be most welcome) - and would definitely make the set much more balanced. Bass quantity & quality is fine, alas the speed could be a lil tighter, in order to improve accuracy - additionally, mid-bass needs dialing down a bit!
Timbre, instrument authenticity are truly impeccable - layering, separation and resolution are at a totally different sonic level, compared to the i3....Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #1,008 of 1,620
I use the balanced output from Sony NW-ZX300a & a 4-core Kinboofi cable. The GK10's require a tad more boost in the sub-bass (which would be most welcome) - and would definitely make the set much more balanced. Bass quantity & quality is fine, alas the speed could be a lil tighter, in order to improve accuracy - additionally, mid-bass needs dialing down a bit!
Timbre, instrument authenticity are truly impeccable - layering, separation and resolution are at a totally different sonic level, compared to the i3....Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #1,009 of 1,620

hmm - I wonder if you're ears are preferring the tones from the midrange carbon DD of the GK10 over the balanced armature unit that's in the i3 serving duty for mids. AFAIK the planar in the i3 is there for treble.

Have you tried other piezoelectric driver IEMs before to compare against those in the GK10? I have neither so just asking, not criticizing your preference or experience here in any way. :beerchug: The older PE units (like Spring 2 and Shouer Tape) that enjoyed some popularity seem to have easily fallen out of favor for other things, so I've skipped trying them.

----------------
1 balanced armature for high frequency
2 piezoelectric ceramic for ultra-high frequency
7mm graphene diaphragm dynamic for middle frequency
8mm dome titanium diaphragm dynamic for bass

If you carefully go over GK10's driver description from AliExpress, it's easy to understand the midbass bloom given that I don't see any evidence of a cross-over built into the unit to restrict the bass driver's FR from the tear down photos earlier in this thread. I also wonder how much of the treble is coming from that single BA over the dual PEs.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,010 of 1,620
hmm - I wonder if you're ears are preferring the tones from the midrange carbon DD of the GK10 over the balanced armature unit that's in the i3 serving duty for mids. AFAIK the planar in the i3 is there for treble.

Have you tried other piezoelectric driver IEMs before to compare against those in the GK10? I have neither so just asking, not criticizing your preference or experience here in any way. :beerchug: The older PE units (like Spring 2 and Shouer Tape) that enjoyed some popularity seem to have easily fallen out of favor for other things, so I've skipped trying them.

----------------
1 balanced armature for high frequency
2 piezoelectric ceramic for ultra-high frequency
7mm graphene diaphragm dynamic for middle frequency
8mm dome titanium diaphragm dynamic for bass

If you carefully go over GK10's driver description from AliExpress, it's easy to understand the midbass bloom given that I don't see any evidence of a cross-over built into the unit to restrict the bass driver's FR from the tear down photos earlier in this thread. I also wonder how much of the treble is coming from that single BA over the dual PEs.
Not that it matters much, but just FYI the Tape is not a piezo+dynamic, it's a magnetostatic+dynamic, quite distinct tech's if I understand them correctly.

It's interesting to read comparisons between the GK10 and the i3pro, as I was so impressed by the KBEAR KS1 that I am interested in their higher end sister co' offerings and have read countless good reports re' the i3.
I love my IMR EDP, and it's a planar+dynamic combo, so dynamics married to tech's such as EST's, planars, bone conduction or piezos really interest me, which is why I ordered a GK10 early on.

Im VERY impressed by the GK10 so far, and am now also interested in multi DD designs too, I love the way my GK10 deals with bass and mids.
I like the treble a lot too, even if it does skirt the borders of aggressive! The highs are quite forceful, but not so much that it surpasses my comfort levels (I really don't tolerate sibilance particularly well, and strident treble isn't my thing, but I like to hear what's going on up there!).
The treble and upper mids of the GK10 stand out to me, but even though I'd consider myself a basshead they don't detract from the lower end at all.
In absolute terms, there are things about them that I would tweak slightly, very slightly, but when considered at their price I think they're really outstanding.

I was a bit disappointed to read that Geek Wold plan to use a different driver compliment in the GK100, but hopefully they can teach me a thing or two.

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,011 of 1,620
I ordered my GK10 excited by the good reviews read in the forum.

It came to me a couple of days ago. I have to say that as soon as I opened it I really liked the design and the blue color of the capsule. I also have to say that it came to me with the grille of a half bent capsule inserted into the capsule's spigot. I see that the quality controls are not very good. I have also noticed that a certain mismatch between the halves of each capsule, I mean that the finish is not good either, at least in my case in one of the capsules.

The sound after a few hours of filming seems good to me, with good bass and a sound with a certain addictive body.

I have requested replacement of new grilles from Penon, but it seems that they do not want to know anything about it, since they tell me to fix it myself (straightening and pasting again) it is very likely that they will lose a customer who has bought many IEMs, cables, etc and that for not attending correctly they go to another store of the competence, only for a $ that costs a metal grill.

shxGkok.png

Mz1jn6a.png

Summary: Very bad quality control of the brand and bad after-sales service from Penon, at least in my case

Greetings

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,012 of 1,620
With such divisive views on these IEMs, I'm super excited to receive my GK10s and they should arrive in a couple of days as they're stuck in customs. Probably might suit a significant section of music library if the midbass impressions are on point.

Want to see how they fare against my sub $50 hybrid benchmark BQEYZ KB100. They're arguably most natural sounding hybrids in that price range and have almost everything on point with a balanced sound signature.

Good or bad, I'll definitely cherish them as they're my first blind buy in over 2 years. 😁
I just posted TRI i3 Pro OOTB impression and currently thinking somewhere between B+ to A+, and with direct A-B test with GK10, I’m pretty confident they can directly trade blows. GK10 being 1piezo+1BA+1mid DD+1bass DD, and i3 Pro being 1BA+1planer+1DD, they do share unique hybrid traits.

When considering price difference of those two $46 vs $169, GK10 gives me an impression that it’s definitely strange kind of IEM anomaly in this range👍

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,013 of 1,620
I ordered my GK10 excited by the good reviews read in the forum.

It came to me a couple of days ago. I have to say that as soon as I opened it I really liked the design and the blue color of the capsule. I also have to say that it came to me with the grille of a half bent capsule inserted into the capsule's spigot. I see that the quality controls are not very good. I have also noticed that a certain mismatch between the halves of each capsule, I mean that the finish is not good either, at least in my case in one of the capsules.

The sound after a few hours of filming seems good to me, with good bass and a sound with a certain addictive body.

I have requested replacement of new grilles from Penon, but it seems that they do not want to know anything about it, since they tell me to fix it myself (straightening and pasting again) it is very likely that they will lose a customer who has bought many IEMs, cables, etc and that for not attending correctly they go to another store of the competence, only for a $ that costs a metal grill.

shxGkok.png

Mz1jn6a.png

Summary: Very bad quality control of the brand and bad after-sales service from Penon, at least in my case

Greetings
You can contact Penon again and ask him to replace the headphone head for you.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,014 of 1,620
Hello, would like to hear comparison GK10 vs Tri I3 (1st gen mmcx) please.

I am using Tri I3 now with Xduoo XD05 Bal, would like to know if GK10 is a significant upgrade over I3
From my understanding of GK10 vs i3 Pro(the gen 2), these are apple to orange.

GK10: great at forward spreading diffusion with a sense of reverb surrounding atmosphere, the clouds of surrounding sparkles. It’s more of listening to speaker system rather than IEM style of sounding. Some may phrase it as incoherent frequencies and others like myself will quote is as “unique sense of separation, like listening to a 5.1 speaker system”

i3 Pro: dynamic and sound pressure for mid-range, especially well-textures and almost “can touch” density for mids, the treble extension is not as extended as GK10.

Also the bass presentation is different approach too, GK10 got expansive bass sounding from a distant place, where i3 Pro is more intimate and more dense.

the note weight is almost opposite too, GK10 is on light weight feather-class, i3 Pro belongs to middle to heavy class.

So let me put it this way:

if your priority in listening is rich midrange, very emotional touch, stay with i3, and if a sense of space, dynamic transformation of sound comes first GK10. I can metaphor i3 Pro to Hawaiian/Caribbean or Tropical 🏝 islands, and GK10 to Matterhorn or Alpine ski reports.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #1,015 of 1,620
I just posted TRI i3 Pro OOTB impression and currently thinking somewhere between B+ to A+, and with direct A-B test with GK10, I’m pretty confident they can directly trade blows. GK10 being 1piezo+1BA+1mid DD+1bass DD, and i3 Pro being 1BA+1planer+1DD, they do share unique hybrid traits.

When considering price difference of those two $46 vs $169, GK10 gives me an impression that it’s definitely strange kind of IEM anomaly in this range👍
Probably. I'm expecting GK10 to be a warm V-shaped IEM with better coherence and tonality, probably like BL-03 but with slightly more longevity in terms of relevance. Because I feel nowadays, $50 is more than enough to get a great IEM that can satisfy all needs. Others may have a different view on this and I respect them. Hope they stay true to my expectations. As far as price to performance is concerned, I'm always expecting best innovations in the sub $50 price bracket if they push the envelope in providing something different then I'll be happy. Fingers crossed. Should have them anytime considering they're released from customs.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,016 of 1,620

GK10 has two piezo drivers, BTW.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #1,018 of 1,620
You can contact Penon again and ask him to replace the headphone head for you.
Thank you very much for reading me and for giving your help.

It is very expensive for me to send it back to HK, in the end I will pay the cost. I have only asked Penon for some grids, that I change them, I have even told him that they can send them to me in the next order I make (I have made it easier for him).

They have sincerely disappointed me, having spent with them (Penon) many hundreds of euros.

Greetings and continue enjoying our passion, music with good IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #1,020 of 1,620
So the hype train died quite fast with these after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back