Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #856 of 1,620
I haven't measured my GK10's, but I don't hear them the way some seem to be graphing (and hearing?) them.
Mine have no discernable excess midbass, and push plenty of sub bass. Neither intrudes into the mids on my set, and it's clear to me that anyone claiming that they can say with certainty that every set out there conforms to the flaws they insist they hear, (and must be omnipresent) might just be pushing an agenda.
I can't say with certainty that they don't have a faulty, or poorly assembled set, as I've NOT HEARD THEIR IEM's (or measured them) just as they can't make credible claims about all the sets THEY HAVEN'T HEARD (or measured).
The suggestion that the owners reporting satisfaction have deficient or somehow sub-standard hearing is transparent egotism/hubris, and it's puzzling why there's a need to discredit a product, or the hearing of others so enthusiastically. I will refrain from speculating on motives beyond a possible knee-jerk reaction to the more extreme tub-thumping that's appeared in favour of the GK10 (OK, I confess, I'd already done more speculation, but removed it as it's not productive, and unit variance is possible after all).

There are things I strongly dislike about my GK10's (cosmetics, nozzle) but bloated bass isn't on the list, and if I were to insist that everyone else must also find them pig-ugly, or else they must be suffering from sub-standard taste, that would be a 'dick move' on my part, if some love the way they look then I envy them, as I wish I loved them too.

I've got no beef with graphs, I dig 'em, but outside of unit variance there's no way they're all accurate when they're clearly so different to each other. A commenter making blanket statements regarding how they must all sound regardless of many reports to the contrary, raises a great big fishy smelling red flag, especially when I can compare with my own ears to other iem's without, and with, bloated midbass.

I'm a bit of a basshead, but I really dislike tubby bass or interference with mids, and the GK10's bass is superior in quality and coherence to the Focus Audio EDM's I got recently (twice the price, and very good despite this comment) and sub-bass is higher in quantity than my IMR EDP's (while maintaining speed and proper emphasis to a similar degree. The EDP's are still better overall though, to me).

The Focus EDM have a slightly divorced bass which doesn't transition entirely smoothly to the mids (feels like there's a slight gap in the FR instead of the smoother, more convincing bass/mid transition of the GK10).
Bass quantity is similar in the sub region, but I think the Focus has a little more mid-bass than the GK10, and it's a little looser (the mid bass of the Focus that is).

I really look forward to the GK100, and any other IEM's which simultaneously exploit different dynamic driver types for the lower half of the frequency range. It seems like an approach with some serious potential. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Geek Wold can preserve the sound of the GK10 in a better shell/nozzle.
While I don't feel any desire for a change in FR/SQ, I don't want any more treble emphasis, as it's already near the maximum I can enjoy without fatigue, these seem to be much better piezos (or better implemented) than my NX7 Pro which I just find a bit unconvincing. I didn't have high hopes for the GK10, and felt I was taking a bit of a gamble, even at $50, but I really like them (especially at $50!) and I'm glad that piezos aren't simply a tech that I just can't get along with.

Sorry for the wall of text 😔
Roll on GK100!

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #857 of 1,620
More on the GK10. It seems there is a sense of "holding back" and I am hoping for a bit more projection of
sound. At the moment the GK10 cannot match the NCO, Aria or the Heart Mirror in that respect, let alone the Fiio FD3 which I am now testing.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #859 of 1,620
Removed

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #860 of 1,620
But Aria is 100$ not 50$
Absolutely, but many on this thread are comparing the GK10 to more expensive models, that was my point.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #861 of 1,620
Absolutely, but many on this thread are comparing the GK10 to more expensive models, that was my point.
My take is that it’s a different style of presentation. yes, the staging formation and way of sound reproduction could be taken as less-engaging compared to single DD driver. Some tracks really shines with that sense of “holding back”, but yea it’s a taste preference.

I would also quote this “less-engaged factor” may be due to lightness in the note weight across most of the frequency ranges, compared to ER4, See Audio Yume, GK10 is north of those weightless touch IEMs, but it is definitely on light side of the note weights.

It’s understandable if someone prefers sound engagement as core decision factor, GK10 is not the choice.

Thanks for the input it will be helpful for like-kind headfiers👍

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #862 of 1,620
I think we must accept there is great unit variation with the Geek Wold GK10. Almost everybody is honest to what they hear, maybe except for one or two contrary souls. If I remember correctly someone thought they were mid-bass bloated, but cleared the vent from glue, and the whole sound profile changed. The same problem plagued the URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 and many of the Blon-03's. I've had KZ's that were unusable due to QC. Everybody has both objective and subjective differences with sound. I don't think we can ever speak universally..........only about 'My Set'.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #863 of 1,620
I think we must accept there is great unit variation with the Geek Wold GK10. Almost everybody is honest to what they hear, maybe except for one or two contrary souls. If I remember correctly someone thought they were mid-bass bloated, but cleared the vent from glue, and the whole sound profile change. The same problem plagued the URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 and many of the Blon-03's. I've had KZ's that were unusable due to QC. Everybody has both objective and subjective differences with sound. I don't think we can ever speak universally..........only about 'My Set'.
Well said, 👍

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #864 of 1,620
Don't know about unit variation but you all are forgetting we are all using different sources too. I think a lot of the bass perception and how they sound has some doing with what we are all using as a source as well. They sound a bit warmer with less treble emphasis on my Shanling players and sounds more neutral on my Fiio players.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #865 of 1,620
Yes, I agree. I am
Don't know about unit variation but you all are forgetting we are all using different sources too. I think a lot of the bass perception and how they sound has some doing with what we are all using as a source as well. They sound a bit warmer with less treble emphasis on my Shanling players and sounds more neutral on my Fiio players.
Yes, I agree. I am using an Xduoo X20 DAP which is a neutral source and a a Topping NX1a which is also neutral so I am probably hearing things in a fairly accurate manner. I certainly would not use a warm source like my Hifi Walker H2 or Sony NWZ A15.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #866 of 1,620
GK10 pairs very well for L&P W2, neutral yet dynamic USB dongle, it boost GK10’s dynamism on my end🙆‍♂️ Staging information will be lost a bit though, W2 is good as a USB dongle, but lacks imaging on y-axis

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #867 of 1,620
I’ve heard it said that there has been a cable change on shipped GK10s. Any details on those changes? I received mine today and I cannot get the pins into the sockets, I’m afraid I’ll push the sockets through the chassis. I took the cable off my V90s, and could only seat them half way. Anyone else having this difficulty? The sockets seem too tight.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #868 of 1,620
New cable is an 8 cored variant looks like the one on the right

1628708251333.png

If the pins seems a bit tight I would gently wiggle whatever 2 pin set you can get in there to open up the sockets a touch and then try the stock cable again. It should eventually fit all the way in.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #869 of 1,620
Fwiw, I received my GK10s and noticed last night a severe crackling noise on the right side at higher volumes. I've contacted Penon, but no reply yet.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #870 of 1,620
I canceled my order from Penon and got refunded right away, but they shipped it anyway. Couple days later they sent me an e-mail and we agreed to do a 50% discount on the total package, so I took the bite, since I have more stuff on that order than just GK10. I also always like to point out that Penon CS has always been amazing to me, no doubt.

So my GK10 entered my country pretty fast, but got stuck in customs. Now let's see how many weeks they take to ship it out... Just hoping it comes in one piece -.- Might get some graphing tools next month as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back