Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #841 of 1,620
I don't want to start a debate or argument about this but so far every single measured GK10 has bass bloat. People's ears are subjective. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the preference of or inability to distinguish between bloated bass. And you should probably hope for that before you EQ. But like @bhazard said it's a very simple EQ fix if it bothers you and there is nothing wrong with the technicalities so I don't see why you wouldn't do so.
I’m not an EQ person, so for that case SpinFit CP360 will do the job, preferably M size or smaller, as the larger the tip size the greater bass get.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #842 of 1,620
Some folks don't like any mid bass emphasis it is simple as that. These have mid bass but it isn't excessive like some reports say it has. It is very listenable. Mid bass is a part of music but depend on the type of music you listen to some like a very wide clean mid range with nothing to be in the way of the lower mids performance.

If you listen to a lot of Pop RnB and EDM music you want that bass emphasis. You listen to a lot of acoustical orchestral vocal stuff you want a cleaner bass.

It is like some folks like some creamer and sugar in their coffee. Some like coffee straight up. In the end it is the same coffee. EQ can be applied to any earphone and some earphones can't do EQ all that well a simple enough fix but I agree tips should be the very first thing you roll on the GK10. It is all about how you want your GK10 to sound.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #843 of 1,620
So I finally received these today. First impressions were that they are surprisingly comfy!

Then holy hell that bass bloat. I'd say crinacle's graph is spot on. But I want to preface this by saying there's nothing wrong with or enjoying the bass bloat. It is still technically a very good set. Consider it "coloring" your music differently.

But anyway, I went to AutoEQ to EQ it to my preferred target which is mostly harman 2019v2 but with a slight bump at 120 hz to get a bit more "oomph" from kick drums since I listen mostly to metal these days.

Here is the AutoEQ graph. Black is before EQ and the blue is the target as well as after EQ up until about 8 khz:

new_gk10.png

With EQ the technicalities become more apparent and that is to say these IEMs punch wayyy above only $50. I certainly prefer them to the B2 Dusk, especially for metal music where the Dusk lacks quite a bit in terms of technicalities.

Edit: also, I bumped up my third filter from -8 db to -4. So I also like some bass bloat with this IEM.
Yours are a normal set, 👍

look at the bass, under +10db gain,
the faulty set have over +15db bass,

the new batch are supposed to have a better QC,
I hope they continue to improve the QC,

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #844 of 1,620
My blue GK10s which came a few days ago has bass bloat. How can I be sure? I EQ'd with Crinacle's measurements on my Qudelix 5K. The result is clear: his measurements apply to my units.
To my ears, the bloat gives a warm sound, it does not greatly muddy the proceedings at all. Some may actually like it. I prefer to EQ it away.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #845 of 1,620
Yours are a normal set, 👍

look at the bass, under +10db gain,
the faulty set have over +15db bass,

the new batch are supposed to have a better QC,
I hope they continue to improve the QC,

New batch is the one with updated cable?

Also I noticed on Amazon the price was updated (increased) to that of the one with the new cable but it still lists the old cable in the description. So who knows what you are really getting.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #847 of 1,620
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #848 of 1,620
What I see here is that the units vary from each other. Some says there's bass bloat some says no.

My unit didn't have any bass bloat at all until one side's bass started to be off so I informed penon about it. I hope they'll send a new unit. There's QC issues need to be under controlled IMHO. Fortunately, I can see from the representative that they're aware and their approach towards the issues is positive so that's good and how it should be.

My units had quite controlled slightly mid bass emphasized lows. There's sub bass as well but need to be EQ. Very agile bass with good rumble. But I didn't hear anything bloating to the mids. I didn't hear such bass trying to be dominant. The overall tonality I've heard was neutral with a good extension on the high end. For the price, especially, was really good.

One note on crinacle's impressions: He also mentions in his reviews with disclaimer that this is one person's opinion. For example, I have NF Audio Nm2+ which I really like and happy to keep in my collection which described by crinacle as 'underwhelming' and tone noted as 'c'. So, what should I do? Shouldn't I trust my ears and what I hear? And should I ignore other positive reviews for the same IEMs?

I'm a person who sometimes make blind purchases like I did with Heart Mirror in the past before noone reviewed or shared about it. It turned out to be fine.

Similarly, 45$ wasn't going to hurt me much and plus I've read the positive reviews from @Dsnuts and decided to give it a chance without leaving my doubts aside. Eventually, I was happy and what I was hearing was matching with his opinions and with other folks here who received their sets before me.

Give it a try if the amount is not going to hurt your wallet.

Like it? Keep it!
Don't like it? Return it! Simple as that.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #849 of 1,620
I'm struggling to appreciate bass 'bloat'. I am using CP360 though. I will tip roll to stock tomorrow and refresh my memory. All I can say, even before the graphs started coming out I couldn't hear 'bloat', midbass impact, yes, but not anything obscuring lower mids.

The midbass mystery continues and I still love them dearly w/o EQ and just CP360.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #850 of 1,620
I'm struggling to appreciate bass 'bloat'. I am using CP360 though. I will tip roll to stock tomorrow and refresh my memory. All I can say, even before the graphs started coming out I couldn't hear 'bloat', midbass impact, yes, but not anything obscuring lower mids.

The midbass mystery continues and I still love them dearly w/o EQ and just CP360.
I am much more puzzled by the fact that those complaining about 'bass bloat' after looking and discussing graphs without end.

I don't give a toss about graphs. I trust my ears. I either like an IEM or not. Pretty simple really.

Cheers

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #851 of 1,620
I am much more puzzled by the fact that those complaining about 'bass bloat' after looking and discussing graphs without end.

I don't give a toss about graphs. I trust my ears. I either like an IEM or not. Pretty simple really.

Cheers
It's not hard to hear it. Simply cut a few dB around ~120hz and note the change in the sound. A/B between the cut and stock.
Maybe "bloat" is the wrong word. "Hollow" maybe? Either way, that area is a bit more boosted than ideal.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #852 of 1,620
Interestingly, i did a good deal of A/B-ing this weekend between GK10 and A7. The A7 actually sounded significantly "fuller" to me than GK10! - a description I'd give to something having more mid-bass, which surprised me. I do think A7 is a better iem, as it should be, but goodness this thing is so good at its price. Don't know if its a QC issue, and there are extreme variances or not, but mine just does not have bloated midbass. If anything, to my ears, the treble detail, air, and imaging are the stars of its sound signature.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #855 of 1,620
Hello Nimweth, have you put enough hours on the GK 10 to give an impression of how they sound? I´m curious on your thoughts on it vs the Smabat NCO. TIA.
Although the GK10 is very good, with a wide stage and decent timbre, I am not getting the sparkle I expected from the piezo drivers. I have around 72 hours on them. There is also a slight veiled effect in the lower mids and the bass could benefit from more definition. It is possible my sample may not be performing as it should. As it stands, however, the NCO has more life, expression and immediacy. The NCO's bass has more character and is tighter as well. I will keep burning in though and hope things improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back