Geek Wold Discussion
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,321 of 1,630
GK80 is in.

I immediately dislike how tight the 2 Pin connector is. This seems to have carried over from the GK10 and isn't a problem on my other IEMs.
First impression sound is very similar to the GK10, but the bloat was subdued a bit (not completely). The GK80 is still very much bass boosted and it sounds like the mids are scooped around 400Hz.

Treble may be uneven as well, as cymbals come through clearly, but there's a bit too much bite on guitars, really bright here. There could be some significant peaks and dips here. Won't be sure without some FR measurements.

Maybe the Piezo's need time, but not impressed OOTB. I don't hear enough of a difference/improvement compared to the GK10 (yet).

Thanks for the early impressions. Interested to see how this plays out. I'll be disappointed if there's very little iteration on the GK10 given that this has been penned as a follow up. Especially given the volume of feedback this thread generated on the predecessor.

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #1,322 of 1,630
GK80 tuning can almost compete with infamous Raycon E25

unknown.png

Ef59fa7UwAADqvz.png

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #1,323 of 1,630
I'm getting buyer remorse and haven't even received it yet!

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #1,324 of 1,630
GK80 is in.

I immediately dislike how tight the 2 Pin connector is. This seems to have carried over from the GK10 and isn't a problem on my other IEMs.
First impression sound is very similar to the GK10, but the bloat was subdued a bit (not completely). The GK80 is still very much bass boosted and it sounds like the mids are scooped around 400Hz.

Treble may be uneven as well, as cymbals come through clearly, but there's a bit too much bite on guitars, really bright here. There could be some significant peaks and dips here. Won't be sure without some FR measurements.

Maybe the Piezo's need time, but not impressed OOTB. I don't hear enough of a difference/improvement compared to the GK10 (yet).
Thanks 'bhazard'. I probably hold back on the GK80 after your impressions. So far, I am very happy with the GK10 and even more with the GK12.

-Clear

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,325 of 1,630
By the way, in my gk80 the cable connector is not so tight. they just need an angle at which the pins will be inserted with little effort

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #1,326 of 1,630
More on the GK10 and GK12

I realized that ever since I owned the GK10, my ear tip preference has always been wide-bore ear tips. Now, with the GK12, they are way more accurate and tolerable at changing ear tips. You can enjoy them with the default narrow-bore ear tips or change them to wide-bore ear tips. They are very enjoyable to listen to either way!

-Clear

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #1,327 of 1,630
My GK80s arrived a short while ago. Out of the box and 30 mins of listening and they are good! Much better than the GK10 were straight out of the box. Same big spacious sound; some improved detail and transparency too so far.

- the pins fit easily but need to be lined up carefully, as Mr.HiAudio said.

- I have only listened on very low output impedance sources and with the KB Ear Luminous cable

From some of the comments so far, I was expecting the GK80 to sound more incoherent and lacking detail, but not at all.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,328 of 1,630
GK80 tuning can almost compete with infamous Raycon E25

unknown.png

Ef59fa7UwAADqvz.png

It's certainly a deep V but it could still sound enjoyable. The mids do give me some cause for concern though...hidden in that deep crevasse and with a very steep pinna gain. My GK80s still haven't arrived about 3 weeks later...! Maybe good things come to those who wait?

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,329 of 1,630
More on the GK10 and GK12

I realized that ever since I owned the GK10, my ear tip preference has always been wide-bore ear tips. Now, with the GK12, they are way more accurate and tolerable at changing ear tips. You can enjoy them with the default narrow-bore ear tips or change them to wide-bore ear tips. They are very enjoyable to listen to either way!

-Clear
GK12 sound a better proposition than the 80's imho.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,332 of 1,630
Sounds like they're less source dependent tbh.
Output impedance for the GK12 is specified at 7 Ohms. On the back of its box the GK10 was specified at 6 Ohms and the GK 80 is specified at 8 Ohms. So they are all low impedance IEMs and need a source component with an output impedance of < 1 ohm for best performance. The big drawback on the GK12 IMO is that it has a fixed cable.

So far the GK80 is sounding like it will not need as much burn-in time as the GK10.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #1,333 of 1,630
Output impedance for the GK12 is specified at 7 Ohms. On the back of its box the GK10 was specified at 6 Ohms and the GK 80 is specified at 8 Ohms. So they are all low impedance IEMs and need a source component with an output impedance of < 1 ohm for best performance. The big drawback on the GK12 IMO is that it has a fixed cable.

So far the GK80 is sounding like it will not need as much burn-in time as the GK10.
I agree GK12's fixed cable is not optimal - think it's best to wait for more reviews.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,334 of 1,630
Even though the GK12 has a non-detachable cable, I am surprised how thick and strong they are for a only a 4-stranded cable. The reason that they sound really good, plus the strong cable, imho, they get a 2 thumbs up from me.

(PS. Though, I hope Geekfly is reading this thread and realizing that we are not too fond of non-detachable cables.)

-Clear :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #1,335 of 1,630
IMG_20220212_133215_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg
IMG_20220212_132124_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

the compensation hole is not involved at all, so there is a lot of bass here. Quality is so bad. I would not recommend buying as you will not be able to return these headphones. I am very disappointed.

Penon brushes me off with strange solutions to questions. Friends, if you receive such a defective product as mine, you can only throw out your headphones and that's it.

Sorry, but i dont recommend a buy new GK80, i will lose your money

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back