Geek Wold Discussion
Jan 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #1,261 of 1,620
I got some more insight for you guys. There were several revisions of the GK10, but the Geek team decided on this particular design and now I can understand why. These manufacturers read the reviews and the negative stuff folks write. They have pride, no one puts out a substantial product and wants to see how bad the QC was ect. Going back and redesigning what was to become the GK80.

Sticking with a driver combo design they are familiar with, the choice to use the tone setting titanium plated dynamic for its bass and mids is substantial to how these perform.
Just got a new ISN G4 cable that was released on Penon on the GK80. The cable cost 2X more than the GK80 but you know what. These are talking to me right now.

I am cheering for team Geek Wold 👍

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #1,262 of 1,620
The GK80 indeed does sound exciting. I almost got the GK10 but got a bit shy after reading about QC issues. I have yet to purchase any IEM with any sort of piezo/magnetic driver. If these are released by next month, I may grab a pair of these and the CCA CRA to try out.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #1,264 of 1,620
The GK80 indeed does sound exciting. I almost got the GK10 but got a bit shy after reading about QC issues. I have yet to purchase any IEM with any sort of piezo/magnetic driver. If these are released by next month, I may grab a pair of these and the CCA CRA to try out.

I've enjoyed both pair, but I'd say GK80 will almost certainly be a solid upgrade over CRA, ZEX, or GK10.

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #1,265 of 1,620
Screenshot_20220118-150238_AliExpress.jpg

Eeeeeeeee, waiting

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,266 of 1,620
Ok so I have discovered the GK80 matches exceptionally well with Fiios new UTSW5 wireless arms. I wrote a review of these things last weekend and I am continuing to pair the arms with differnet earphones. Today I brought them to work with me with the GK80.. Absolutely fantastic pairing.
DSC09447.JPG

I am almost done with my review of the GK80 and will be posting something maybe by this weekend. I agree with the previous post about impressions of these might be all over the place due to the very low 8 ohm impedence. There are good and bad thing associated with such high sensitivity. The good news is most modern daps all have low impedence out. In fact it is more difficult to find a dap nowadays with high impedence. If you stick to the main dap brands the Shanlings, Fiios and the Ibasso players you will be fine there. The GK80 is cable and tip dependent on top of that.

The stock cable is very limiting in what it can do for the GK80. It is no different than any other budget fi cable. I would first try the GK80 with whatever cables you own. Just about anything wil be an upgrade there. Copper based will get the most bass out of the GK80, silver based less so. Tips I noticed can also change how they sound. It affects the bass end which can sound overly big with some tips and not so much others.

Ultimately however if your willing to put in the burn in time, tip, source, cable roll. I am certain you all will hear what the GK80 can sound like for the price point. Look foward to reading about your experiences with them.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #1,268 of 1,620
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #1,269 of 1,620
Graphene or titanium DD?

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,274 of 1,620
So today I brought the GK80 and the Acmee MF02S. Acmee MF02S is strictly a music player, fairly obscure using a ES9038Q2M, more importantly it has a 10 Ohm impedence out.

The GK80 sounds more bright neutral in tonality. Thinner sounding in presentation. Bass not as impactful. Of course I knew it would have been a bad match up with the player. But this proves the point. Your sources will matter how these sound.

I am fairly certain most android phones if that is what your using as a player. Will have plenty of volume for the GK10 but will have something like 5 Ohm out on the average. It is not really a matter of if the GK10 will have plenty of volume thats not going to be the issue. It will be a matter of what source you will be using with them. That is really the only real reservation I have on these and probably one of the issues that plagued the GK10 as well. These are even more sensitive as they need less volume vs the GK10.

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,275 of 1,620
So today I brought the GK80 and the Acmee MF02S. Acmee MF02S is strictly a music player, fairly obscure using a ES9038Q2M, more importantly it has a 10 Ohm impedence out.

The GK80 sounds more bright neutral in tonality. Thinner sounding in presentation. Bass not as impactful. Of course I knew it would have been a bad match up with the player. But this proves the point. Your sources will matter how these sound.

I am fairly certain most android phones if that is what your using as a player. Will have plenty of volume for the GK10 but will have something like 5 Ohm out on the average. It is not really a matter of if the GK10 will have plenty of volume thats not going to be the issue. It will be a matter of what source you will be using with them. That is really the only real reservation I have on these and probably one of the issues that plagued the GK10 as well. These are even more sensitive as they need less volume vs the GK10.

I think I'm prepared for a swathe of diverse opinions on the GK80 due to this fact alone. As always, my ears with be the final judge! Ordered and waiting with anticipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back