Geek Wold Discussion
Jul 25, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #92 of 1,619
hopefully GK10 can replace my blon-03... seeing the comment of BGGR make me little bit doubt
Apples to oranges comparison as one is a single DD and other is a tribrid. In technicalities, it will definitely be better than BL03 as single DDs especially the budget ones have some limitations. Blon is known for its lush and analogue sound. Geek Wold will be slightly different sounding. As a user, you are well within your rights to compare them but BGGR's comments should not influence that. Your own ears should make that judgement as it is you who is purchasing the IEM. Because graphs can vary a lot and a user may also have his own biases that influence their listening.

Jul 25, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #94 of 1,619
If I just went with everything that guy said was good I wouldnt have half the IEMs I enjoy today. Guy has his own taste. Just because he like his pizza with anchovies dont mean you or I am gonna like a pizza with anchovies.

My advice is if you end up getting them and dont like em. Sell them off as there is actually a shortage on them. You wont have any problems recouping the $45 you spent on them I guarantee. It is best you hear them for yourself and make a judgement on them. Move on to greener pastures if you don't like them. Simple as that.

There will be plenty of people that don't like the SG-01 there's nothing wrong with that. I even put it on my review the GK10 is not the most refined or do they have the widest of stages or are they the most dimensional type of sound. I am sure he has his reasons for publicly saying he don't care for em. That's fine I actually expected that. Very predictable actually.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #95 of 1,619
Also, many star reviewers don't spend much time on the budget IEMs due to their commitments to review TOTL stuff. So I'm not even sure whether he cared enough to check if his unit was defective or not. But, it is always good to read more and make an informed choice rather taking anyone's word as the final truth. Because you will never hear things exactly like him as both of you have different hearing capabilities.

And, people should never blame reviewers if what they get is completely 180 from the reviews. It's your decision and take it on the chin and move on and start a new journey to find that elusive audio unicorn called Endgame😁😂

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #97 of 1,619
I've spent most of my day listening to the GK10 and running through Anuoar Brahems' back catalogue. He does interesting Tunisian Jazz Fusion, recorded on the highly regarded ECM label. Most albums on ECM are absolutely brilliant in terms of recording quality.

Anyway, Anuoars 'Blue Maqams' album has his oud (lute) playing accompanied by a pianist, drummer and a bassist. It's all beatifully presented on the GK10, texture to the bassists pulls, piano fundamentals and harmonics, cymbals on the drums clear but not shrill and then ofcourse Anuoars oud sitting nicely in the middle frequencies. I really can't fault the presentation.

I then moved onto Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate' album 'In The Heart of the Moon'. A pair of masterful West African musicians on the guitar and kora (a harp-like instrument).

The kora/harp really pushes the upper mids and treble, it's a good test for shrill / metallic / unnatural sounds. The strings of the kora are run very tight and plucked / played with quick movements. On some sets it can be too sharp and invasive and I'm forced to drop the volume. On my setup of the M8+C9 the GK10 handles it fine. As it presents treble with such fine detail and resolution, the GK10 wouldn't be the set I would pick for a relaxing listen. It gives you everything that sits in the upper frequencies, it's not invasive or offensive, but it certainly demands your attention. Detail lovers will feel at home with this set.

I'm ending the day on some electronic / psytrance / deep house etc to play more into the technicalities and dynamic range of the set. Infected Mushroom, Sphongle, Marsh etc. Infected Mushroom love to play with bass texture and psychoacoustic shape. Everything is represented, all the nuance.

A real stand out today has been this track from Marsh called Heaven (and another called Liberator, both from his Heaven EP).

The size of the sound out of the GK10/Cayin C9 combo is great. The bass line in this track is so smooth and so all-encompassing, it really throws you right into the center of the music. Then his Liberator track has some lovely liquid vocals and use of stage and positioning. They're both worth a listen.

I'm going to have a break from the GK10 tomorrow and go back to my earbuds and hopefully come back to them with a fresh pair of ears, by which point I hope we have more people here to share experiences of their own.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #98 of 1,619
My GK 10 has a pretty severe volume imbalance.. Left ear is loud and clear, right ear is quiet and muffled.... Been listening for the past few hours.. Seems to have gotten worse as the day went on.... Will have to contact Penon immediately.. Hope their customer care is good...

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #99 of 1,619
My GK 10 has a pretty severe volume imbalance.. Left ear is loud and clear, right ear is quiet and muffled.... Been listening for the past few hours.. Seems to have gotten worse as the day went on.... Will have to contact Penon immediately.. Hope their customer care is good...

Oh man. Pretty bummed to hear it, and no doubt you are too. Let us know how Penon handle you so prospective buyers know what they may (or may not) be getting themselves in for.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #100 of 1,619
Oh man. Pretty bummed to hear it, and no doubt you are too. Let us know how Penon handle you so prospective buyers know what they may (or may not) be getting themselves in for.
Yes, I sent them an email, and yes I will report how they handle it.. Really bummed out.. The left ear sounds fantastic.. I know spit happens, I just hope they do the right thing without making me jump through hoops...

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #101 of 1,619
Yes, I sent them an email, and yes I will report how they handle it.. Really bummed out.. The left ear sounds fantastic.. I know spit happens, I just hope they do the right thing without making me jump through hoops...

Chin up pal! I hope it's a hassle-free experience. In the meantime, get back to enjoying music from your other devices :)

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #103 of 1,619
Thanks, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I'm staying positive, and I believe Penon will do the right thing.. I'm sure they want these to do well also.. Happy listening!!
@Penon have exceptional customer service. I’m sure they will be right back to you.

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #104 of 1,619
I've pre-ordered the GK10 . The supposed manufacturing rush to fulfill orders is a bit concerning quality wise.

If after burn in, it sounds like mud city with the bass bleed depicted in BGGA's chart, is it reasonable to claim a replacement? I will be using the Qudelix 5K as source. My go to atm is Tri Starsea.

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #105 of 1,619
Been listening to them all day today. These don't sound like that.

If these sounded like a weak standard budget fi with no control what so ever for bass no way would I have brought attention to them.
I so happen to know the folks responsible for designing these. Lets just say these folks have more than just a little experience tuning earphones and way more higher end than these.
Trust your ears and not some graph that is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back