Geek Wold Discussion
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #452 of 1,620
Try not to get too hurt if he doesn't like it. If you do that is what matters.

To me, it's less the fact he doesn't like it, but more that he seems to be hearing something I just categorically cannot hear from the bass and in fact, he appears to have graphed that difference too.

Given the divergence from what I hear and the variable FR charts we have seen I still think we need to be cautious in our conclusions...

This would be in line with what I hear...(i.e. the official FR)

1627737485627.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #454 of 1,620
Slice out half of the strands on the L side of a cable, maybe even solder it back poorly, then leave the other untouched. Listen to what happens. Poorly made cables are a thing.
Thats called a defective cable. Comparing 2 cables with similar resistance = zero change.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #456 of 1,620
Thats called a defective cable. Comparing 2 cables with similar resistance = zero change.
You also change the cross sectional area by doing so if you did the whole cable, which affects resistance. The point is there is a mismatch or a difference.
Best to have a consistent variable and apply it. When you have one cable that you are very familiar with that you can use on everything, that helps.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #458 of 1,620
Yes I'm an expert on placebos and double blind research I even use placebo medicine in my practice and now how to max or min placebo effects you have a right to your opinion of course... I trust my ears
I listen to music 8 hrs a day and produce live concerts I play attention closely to subtle differences and often review unreleased albums from well-known musicians to give them feedback..
We all hear differently also..

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #459 of 1,620
It's all placebo imo. Can you pick the cable out if someone else changes it and you can't see the change?
Of course you can. Ears are quite good if you are healthy that is. Way too much of this placebo effect and it in your brain stuff yet no people using worse cables and using brain manipulation to improve sound and no courses to use your brain to improve sound. Hey, I'd be up for it. Would save a bunch of money. I would make my brain tell me cheap stuff sounds better, that my car runs perfectly smooth and peppy on cheap gas, and that cheap junk food isn't hurting my health. Not as good is not as good and you can tell.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #461 of 1,620
Yea we will see in later comments from 100s of GK10s incoming.

Yes I usually use a tracks to test: recommend with PCM original CD:

here’s some tracks
Electronica:

Full Orchestral:

My personal niche (Tibetan monk mandala offering chants): a good IEM could form a hypo-soprano overtone harmonics from baritones, very unique eastern chant technics, maybe application of Khoomei(overtone singing), but monks chant do not produce actual soprano overtones, is just in ones own head. GK10’s bass separation capacity handles those low frequency harmonics very well.

Treble&Bass frequency and speed test

my favorite ambient artist Brian Eno and his son Roger Eno’s latest albums Mixing Colors got a great tracks with extensive mid harmonics:

Piano timbre:

J-Pop: my favorite Yorushika’s 2020
album:

Jazz: Hiromi’s masterpiece, actually she played at Tokyo Olympic’s opening ceremony
😳
I’m so glad because I’ve joined her private live when I was studying in Boston, she was still a Berkley School of Music student back then. I’ve purchased all physical CDs since I know her, very modern jazz

EDM: Tiesto, I attended his US tour right before covid outbreak in Jan 2019 at Toronto, one of best club in North America, and I had this song played at the club, so this song I know real tracks on scene

Electronica: my fav dope track, greaf mix of ethnics and psy trance, they even used Mongolian traditional

Classical: I couldn’t find any youtube links but it was a album of Gabriel Faure, it has great full chorus, and Holst’s planets by LSO.
For full orchestral, my favorite test tracks are Vienna phil’s Mussorgsky pictures at an exhibition: great gate of kiev

Anime song: my favorite anime Nonnonbiyori’s ED

I think this is the finest version of the Planets, wonderful production by Christopher Bishop and Christopher Parker. This sounds great on the HZ Heart Mirror, my GK10 is on the way...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #462 of 1,620
So, here's the latest. @Precogvision found glue plugging up the holes. After cleaning the hole up, the bass changed entirely, affecting his conclusion. Everyone should watch his thread for what he found. We definitely benefited from finding out about this QC problem. We will need to ask the Geek Wold guys to check the vent holes are clear before packaging and shipping.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #463 of 1,620
I sent a message to Penon about that particular unit. I would message them and tell them about it and I am certain they will correct the wrong there. Tell them what happened with that particular unit.

I can imagine the sour face you guys must have had listening to an glued vent unit with overbloated bass. Lol.

WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE GUYS TALKGING ABOUT!! Lol.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #464 of 1,620
I sent a message to Penon about that particular unit. I would message them and tell them about it and I am certain they will correct the wrong there. Tell them what happened with that particular unit.
Contacting Penon might be a good idea. I imagine they know how to message the Geek Wold guys.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #465 of 1,620
Well they sponsor that manufacturer reason why they sell it on their site. They have direct talks with them as far as I know. The more feedback on their product the better it will be for everyone. Cant have sloppy units in the wild as far as I am concerned. Will see about getting you guys a proper unit. That is a shame about that particular one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back