Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #46 of 13,800
  Power is on the back.  Probably the "awesomifier" button.

yes,i spoke too soon, power is indeed to the rear , and it being the "awesomifier" button would be better

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #48 of 13,800
I'm at work now....thinking when coming back  will make a poll for our suggestions (esp. those who backed up). How about it guyz?

Was suggesting for:
- Balanced outs. Mini xlr at the back and a mini 4 pin in the front beside the 1/4 jack.
- Full desktop ES9018 version (and if they will go multi-channel)
- Gain Switch

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #50 of 13,800
I like the idea of a poll.  There is another discussion thread a few posts deep that has started for the Pulse.  Can you contact a moderator to join the two threads?

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #52 of 13,800
  I'm at work now....thinking when coming back  will make a poll for our suggestions (esp. those who backed up). How about it guyz?

Was suggesting for:
- Balanced outs. Mini xlr at the back and a mini 4 pin in the front beside the 1/4 jack.
- Full desktop ES9018 version (and if they will go multi-channel)
- Gain Switch

I like the idea of a poll, but I want all of those to happen :)

-Balanced outs at current prices would be incredible.
-They could sell a multi-channel version separately, at a higher cost. The DAC chip alone would add $50.
-Gain switch would be awesome. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #53 of 13,800
With something as powerful as this is, a gain switch has to happen.  3W is overkill for 90% of headphones.
Balanced would be killer, but honestly, they could leave it as it is (with the gain switch, of course), and I would be happy with it. 

The RCA output voltage seems really high, too.

For the price they are giving to backers and the final price they are shooting for, I honestly don't think anything beyond a gain switch or tweaking power will be changed.  A full sized dac chipset and accompanying electronics probably wouldn't fit into that chassis and would increase costs.  Balanced could happen, but they'd have to redesign the front panel entirely along with the circuitry (more costs).

I will go ahead and say that I would very much have them add a knob for volume, but again size and complexity constraints.  They already look to have everything that I want covered (other than the gain switch).  Powerful headphone out, good DAC chipset, analog out in the rear, very small footprint.  It is sad that there are basically no other devices that do this in this kind of a package.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #55 of 13,800
  iCAN's soundstage enhancement is analogue, while this will be DSP. I'm hoping it will be like a mini Smyth Realiser, obviously without the ability to create your own profiles and the head tracking gimmick.

I def put more faith advanced DSP than analogue when creating the next level soundstage experience.
The head tracking is not a gimmick, and unfortunately an essential part of how the HRTF in Realiser work. This is one of the biggest hurdles in creating something similar to the Realiser but without the fine calibration and the head tracker.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #56 of 13,800
  I like the idea of a poll.  There is another discussion thread a few posts deep that has started for the Pulse.  Can you contact a moderator to join the two threads?

Sent PM

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #59 of 13,800
I backed the project as well, voted for
 Gain Switch
 informative LEDs
 desktop ESS  (although I'm not sure why, felt like the right thing in a non (super) portable form factor)
long wait until April 30.

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #60 of 13,800
I would substitute "rotary volume control" for "analog volume control"
I really don't care if there is a pot or a digital encoder behind the knob, I just find knobs much nicer to use than up/down buttons.

Everything else is perfect
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back