Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #13,759 of 13,800
I agree that the name LHLabs has a bitter taste. Nevertheless - I still use my geek out and also use the Oscar InEars. I still think they are very good in ears (disregarding the name).
I still have a Brandnew Stella and Mera - I guess at some price point someone might be interested.
We will see…. I had already written off every cent I have funded, so anything I can sell is a positive Developement from my perspective.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #13,761 of 13,800
I agree that the name LHLabs has a bitter taste. Nevertheless - I still use my geek out and also use the Oscar InEars. I still think they are very good in ears (disregarding the name).
I still have a Brandnew Stella and Mera - I guess at some price point someone might be interested.
We will see…. I had already written off every cent I have funded, so anything I can sell is a positive Developement from my perspective.
I still have the Pulse X model with the power supply. It still work but very very glitchy. I didn’t pay much for it (less than $500) but I wish their products and company have turned out differently. So much potential.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #13,764 of 13,800
Hello! I have a Pulse X with LPS. Unfortunately I cannot use this set, as at most of the time, the handshake fails, and the DAC is not recognized, or just partially (e.g. the name displayed in UAPP is "null" and no sound is made). First I was thinking it is about the USB cable, and it has definitely some effect on it, but even with the shortest, high quality A-B, plugged directly into the DAC (not into the LPS) it mostly fails. Sometimes - and I haven't found a pattern I could repeat to make it work - it just works, and then it is fine in every aspect. Firmware is 2.0 / MCU 2.4. Some more symptoms also exist, like popping noise when turned on/off and I often hear a loud buzz (varies slowly around 1kHz) when the connection fails. I have also noticed that when the USB goes haywire (buzzing, or simply the display goes off on its own), the green LED on the LPS goes off too for a while. Does anyone have any idea what I could check / try to replace to make it (more) reliable? Soundwise, it seemed to be very pleasant for me - at a longer listening session I was lucky enough to gave when I got it connected once to my speaker system. The devices I have been using are: 2 modern laptops with Windows 11, Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 / S5e tablets and a Galaxy S21 mobile phone. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #13,765 of 13,800
I still use a Geek Out Special Edition, with the LH Labs LPS and the LPS "digital decrapifier" (don't recall what they called it). Soun2 ampds nice out of my computer, into a MicroZOTL amp.
But, yes, lost a lot of money on the higher end gear they were supposed to make and I bit on.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #13,767 of 13,800
3.27 file anyone???
For this and some of the other recent posts, I have been able to keep my Geek Pulse xFi working somewhat by bypassing the 3.26 driver and using a Toslink optical input. I use a Topping D10s and its driver as a Toslink/Coax bridge to the Geek Pulse. It works well - but my Geek Pulse xFi's volume control does not work. I have to control it from Music Bee, the software music app I use. I have had to turn off the Geek Pulse for a long time (overnight) and then turn it on and off repeatedly (usually twice) to get some sort of Toslink response. Might work with Coax input also and likely another USB to Toslink/Coax bridge would also work. Darko in one of his videos recommends the use of a Topping D10s to clean up the USB signal. Seems to work for me. Still absolutely love the xFi sound - originally with an Hifiman HE-560 planar magnetic headphone, but now with a Focal Clear headphone, which is even better and needs no EQ.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #13,768 of 13,800
My Geek Pulse xFi stopped working after recent BIOS & Windows updates. The 3.26 driver which has served me well for years is "unsigned" and can no longer be installed (with Secure Boot enabled). I've searched for Windows generic or alternative drivers, with no luck. Has anyone found a workaround for this problem? This seems like such a minor reason to brick such an excellent DAC.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #13,769 of 13,800
Try this hack. The second option worked for me. When I installed WIN 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back